Geocaching maps offline?

dorlow

Are there any geocaching apps that I can have it download like a 50 mile radius of my house with all maps and geocaches?  Seems like most places we geocache, there is no cell signal.  The official geocache app looks like it allows me to download individual geocaches for offline, but then I have to plan ahead and know which ones were going to look for before we head out  Usually when we geocache, it's spontaneous.  We are walking a trail just for something to do and then we think oh maybe we should geocache but then look at our phone and have no signal.

Since you are a premium member, you can create Lists covering the areas where you might regularly be out and about in your  local area, or where you're going on vacation, etc.  Your Lists are available through the official Geocaching apps, and you can save all the cache information and maps for offline use.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, fuzziebear3 said:

Being old-school, I use GSAK, download oodles of caches, and transfer them to my handheld GPSr.   This way I always have the caches where I am going.

But, I am starting to like using the app for spontaneous caching when I haven't had time to download wherever I am going.

I bought a routable map SD card of the entire USA, and therefore always have maps from coast to coast.  But I never update it.  There are also free versions of such maps.

I also attempt to use The App when I've forgotten to download caches.  But The Official App really wants to get back online a lot.  I seem to keep clicking on things that don't work offline, including maps that I expected would have pre-loaded with individual caches.  So I just plan for that thing to live online where it's happy.  I mainly use it for street routing anyway.

Viajero Perdido mentioned "Locus Maps".  I have two US States maps downloaded for that, which makes it work a lot like my Garmin, as "having it all offline" goes.  It can be configured for offline street routing.  That App comes in handy at times.

"Geooh Go" saves things offline in a different way than The Official App does.  It's worth a look, to see if the Maps situation is sufficient.  But both Locus Maps and Geooh Go are Android Apps, and the OP was not specific about phone types.

If you're approaching a trail that could possibly have no phone signal, plan ahead.  At least stop at a Wifi Hotspot and grab some cache data in advance.  I did that all the time when I had tablet or phone without a data plan, to load a stray cache or two.  With that and a handheld hiking GPSr pre-loaded with everycache I'd be interested to hunt in an area, I'm good to go.

Edited by kunarion

I ran into this problem Sunday. I was driving home crossing the Cascades  mountains and notice the road up to an area with a cache I had been wanting to get was open after two years of closure due to forest fires and hazzards due to the fires. Well I got close but hit some snow on the road so turned around. However, I was still off the downloaded map area of the cache and could not tell if there was an alternate road to get to the cache. I got home to an internet connection and realized my mistake. Had the app stored a wider area of the map I might have gotten closer. Previously I had stored a few caches along the way as bread crumb waypoints to store the maps along the way but I guess I deleted those. A better solution is the store details of large regions.