Benchmark Picture Contest (2023)

Ernmark

Thought I'd try to revive the old threads from a few years back (ok - a lotta years back)

see:

There's more, but here was the gist what may be from the first post in 2004 :

"Some benchmark pictures are really excellent! Sometimes I "set as background" one for my computer for a while, until I find another really good one. I propose a thread here for posting really good benchmark pictures, either your own or someone else's.

Contest rules: (yeah I know, I'm always proposing so many rules; ... anyway...)

1. No intersection stations (the station IS the tower, building, etc.) Why? Well they all look pretty good, but they're not really all that 'benchmarky'.

2. The disk has to be at least vaguely visible in the picture. No - 'view from', 'the area', etc. with no PID marker in it. Why? It's gotta be a Benchmark picture!

3. It has to be a PID in the database, or at least one of its reference marks or its azimuth mark (in case they don't have their own PID).

4. No closeup of just the disk. (Come on, it's just a disk - where's the nice scenery?)"

...anyone want to revive an old tradition?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1

..although the vistas aren't quite as stunning as those in the US Southwest - there's a cool little park in Gaithersburg, MD that is worth a visit (Observatory Park) where there are 5 marks with a PID - here's one of them...most sit along a little path that is meant to portray the wobble of the Earth:

b7b6b712-b18d-4392-a56e-c2bbbb5f889b.jpg

https://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/recreation/parks-fields/observatory-park

8b48507a-3444-4a9f-abc1-65d4200b293c.jpg

94dad646-57f3-4f7c-8952-cf1ba1cbe75e.jpg

• Love 2

All,  Interesting history that was chanced upon was a large part of my enjoyment while Benchmarking.  The Missouri River Commission (MORC) string led into working on the Mississippi River Commission (MCR or MiRC) string.  Looked a few places for evidence of King's 40th Parallel Survey; and then had to re-read Angle of Repose, which was plagiarized from letters of Mary Hallock Foote who had spent time around King's camps in the Rockies.

Last, for now, the 'And State Surveys' was a grand idea, but not well planned by the politicians in the early 1930's.  Found a few SS in Montana & Wyoming.  Nebraska set hundreds but very few were surveyed in.  kayakbird

• Upvote 2

MORC Citadel  SS1486, named after a prominent rock feature that Lewis & Clark passed going westbound on 31 July 1805.  Wooden instrument stand was used during the 1949 re-survey.  Bears Paw Mountains to the NNE.  Found during a three day kayak trip in May 2009.  Several of the NONPID river terrace elevation benchmarks were also found.  kayakbird

MORC CITADEL SS1486-1949 STAND-1466.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/22/2023 at 12:10 PM, kayakbird said:

MORC Citadel  SS1486, named after a prominent rock feature that Lewis & Clark passed going westbound on 31 July 1805.  Wooden instrument stand was used during the 1949 re-survey.  Bears Paw Mountains to the NNE.  Found during a three day kayak trip in May 2009.  Several of the NONPID river terrace elevation benchmarks were also found.  kayakbird

MORC CITADEL SS1486-1949 STAND-1466.JPG

This is an outstanding photo of an outstanding recovery. I doesn't get any cooler than this one...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1