A Cache Not Flagged as Premium is blocked by non-premium user trying to access.

Chipper3

I have a cache that I have not flagged as Premium. It is a multi-cache but I don't think that should automatically make it a Premium only cache.

The cache in question is https://coord.info/GC9M45T

I have a report from a Basic Member that the app blocks them from seeing the Description  for that cache as they are not a Premium member.  (see attachment) What could cause that to happen?  

If you have a chance , please try the link and let me know if you see it marked Premium.

screen shot cache.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
1 minute ago, Chipper3 said:

I have a report from a Basic Member that the app blocks them from seeing the Description  for that cache as they are not a Premium member.  (see attachment) What could cause that to happen?  

As described in the Help Center article Geocaching® app: Premium vs. Basic membership features chart, basic members using the app can see only traditional caches and event caches. Premium members using the app can see all geocaching types.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
31 minutes ago, niraD said:

As described in the Help Center article Geocaching® app: Premium vs. Basic membership features chart, basic members using the app can see only traditional caches and event caches. Premium members using the app can see all geocaching types.

A young friend of my son just started playing - the official app and a basic account is pretty unusable TBH..... Clearly GS do this to encourage people to pay for premium, I wonder how many are driven away though?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, Chipper3 said:

I have a cache that I have not flagged as Premium. It is a multi-cache but I don't think that should automatically make it a Premium only cache.

The cache in question is https://coord.info/GC9M45T

If you have a chance , please try the link and let me know if you see it marked Premium.

Besides your multi called an "advanced" cache (basic members see traditionals and events), your difficulty is 3, and basics can only see up-to 2/2.

Does the app actually say premium only cache?  Years ago it used to, but it was corrected to show "advanced".

I don't feel the app is meant to replace the website. If a basic member wants to just load a free app and go, I'd prefer they have those limitations...

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
17 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Does the app actually say premium only cache?

I'm a Basic member, and the wording is "Upgrade to see more - Become a Geocaching Premium member to access more geocache types".

1 hour ago, Chipper3 said:

I have a report from a Basic Member that the app blocks them

1 hour ago, lee737 said:

- the official app and a basic account is pretty unusable TBH...

New players often confuse Advance caches (restricted by the app) with PMO caches (restricted by account type).

My workaround is to use my phones' browser to access the GC website directly as well as the app. Works great for me, and the only thing I miss out on is PMO caches. There are heaps is Darwin that I haven't been able to go after yet, but I'm on a pretty tight budget. My plan is to get a one-month Premium account when I'm next on holidays and time it so that I can do some PMO at my destination and then some in my home location when I get back... but it's going to be a while before I go on holiday again.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Darwin473 said:

My workaround is to use my phones' browser to access the GC website directly as well as the app.

Of course any of us here would just use the website, but we generally aren't newbies, most of whom haven't, and probably will never use the website..... Personally I rarely use the app, the PMO feature I need the most is PQs to populate the GPS, but of course with a bunch of work this can be worked around too....

51 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Of course any of us here would just use the website, but we generally aren't newbies, most of whom haven't, and probably will never use the website

Most of the "never visited the website" newbies I see popping up around here have premium membership before they even find their first cache. I'm guessing that's how it's promoted in the app stores these days. I was actually surprised to see a basic member log the other day on one of my T3 hides. Their log said "Beautiful location. Fantastic cache container. Probably one of the best I’ve encountered. Thanks!" and I was curious to see if they gave it an FP but then I noticed they were a BM who joined in 2010.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:38 PM, lee737 said:

A young friend of my son just started playing - the official app and a basic account is pretty unusable TBH..... Clearly GS do this to encourage people to pay for premium, I wonder how many are driven away though?

Given how many geocachers before this restriction never tried non-Traditionals or didn't like them, probably very few.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 2/5/2023 at 2:53 PM, Keystone said:

Your cache is an "Advanced Cache," for purposes of the Official Apps, not a "Premium Members Only" cache.  Advanced Caches (other than Premium Members Only caches) are viewable (and loggable) by Basic Members on the Geocaching.com website.

Hmmmmm......  The message in the official app clearly say , " You must be a Premium Member to view this cache.  As I read the Geocache help site, a regular member can only see traditional caches below a certain difficulty level.  The cache in question is a multi and a difficulty of 3 so a regular member  is blocked and will get the attached message.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102&pgid=764

61595876_screenshotcache.thumb.jpeg.fe428fc92e8f887b9587112136d9807e.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
47 minutes ago, Chipper3 said:

Hmmmmm......  The message in the official app clearly say , " You must be a Premium Member to view this cache.  As I read the Geocache help site, a regular member can only see traditional caches below a certain difficulty level.  The cache in question is a multi and a difficulty of 3 so a regular member  is blocked and will get the attached message.

Even a very easy cache may become "Advanced" after it proves to be difficult (at least it was working like that).  I have some caches where I mention in the description how to view and then hunt within the App any cache you see on the website.  But if my cache is hunted by a lot of newbs just now installing the App who don't read the cache description and don't know what Geocaching is, the cache may at some point become Advanced.  That's a concern for me, if my cache was designed to help absolute newbies.  I'm not sure how to always know when a cache goes behind the paywall.

But I'm glad that TPTB for now have decided that if one wishes to enjoy all The App features, they should pay the very reasonable fee for the benefits.  "The App" isn't even necessary to view the text and hunt every cache a Basic Member can see on the web site.  I use a Garmin GPSr most of the time (including PM, it's MUCH cheaper than most phones + data service) and my thought is if you like to play a certain way, save up for it.  If you'd like someone to see your PM/Advanced cache but can't abide burdening them with visiting the web site, there's also the option of a gift membership.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Keystone said:

Would it be clearer if the message in the app said something like, "This is an advanced geocache.  You must be a premium member to view advanced geocaches."

No.

It would be clearer if in addition the message in the app said somthing like:

On 2/5/2023 at 8:53 PM, Keystone said:

Advanced Caches (other than Premium Members Only caches) are viewable (and loggable) by Basic Members on the Geocaching.com website.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
5 hours ago, kunarion said:

Even a very easy cache may become "Advanced" after it proves to be difficult (at least it was working like that).  I have some caches where I mention in the description how to view and then hunt within the App any cache you see on the website.  But if my cache is hunted by a lot of newbs just now installing the App who don't read the cache description and don't know what Geocaching is, the cache may at some point become Advanced.  That's a concern for me, if my cache was designed to help absolute newbies.  I'm not sure how to always know when a cache goes behind the paywall.

I don't think a cache can just become "Advanced" like that. The criterion for Advanced is non-traditional (multi, mystery, EC, virtual, etc.) or a traditional with either D or T greater than 2. Unless the CO raises the D or T rating of a traditional above 2, it'll remain visible to basic member app-users no matter how much trouble they have with it. Mind you, if they have enough trouble to attract the ire of the CHS, the CO might need to raise the D/T ratings to appease it.

16 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I don't think a cache can just become "Advanced" like that. The criterion for Advanced is non-traditional (multi, mystery, EC, virtual, etc.) or a traditional with either D or T greater than 2. Unless the CO raises the D or T rating of a traditional above 2, it'll remain visible to basic member app-users no matter how much trouble they have with it. Mind you, if they have enough trouble to attract the ire of the CHS, the CO might need to raise the D/T ratings to appease it.

Well, that's a relief! :D

Edited by kunarion
18 hours ago, Keystone said:

@Chipper3, nothing in your post or in my quoted post is inaccurate, so I am not sure what you mean by saying "Hmmmmm."  Would it be clearer if the message in the app said something like, "This is an advanced geocache.  You must be a premium member to view advanced geocaches."

It would be nice if the message is "This is an advanced geocache.  You must be a premium member to view advanced geocaches using the app, or you may view it with your basic member status using the geocaching.com website."

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 3