[Bug] Umlauts are displayed incorrectly after sending a E-Mail

capoaira

The umlauts (like ä, ö, ü and ß) are not displayed as such after sending, but in their HTML decimal representation (see photo). They are displayed correctly in my mail program. So I'm assuming it's because the message is being displayed in a <pre> tag.

655737451_Screenshot2023-02-04170210.png.33ba73024a1c75467e8844890c60013b.png

Edited by capoaira
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 4/19/2023 at 2:24 AM, capoaira said:

I'm pretty sure that you only have to replace the <pre> tag with <p> or <span>.

"The text will be displayed exactly as written in the HTML source code." (https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_pre.asp)

No, <pre> tags respects HTML entities: they are parsed and handled first, before any semantic structure.

The issue here is that the user input is being escaped once on upload, and then escaped a second time on display. So, something like < gets encoded as &lt;, and is then encoded again as &amp;lt; (which displays as &lt;).

• Helpful 1
On 2/4/2023 at 11:12 AM, capoaira said:

The umlauts (like ä, ö, ü and ß) are not displayed as such after sending, but in their HTML decimal representation (see photo). They are displayed correctly in my mail program.

Yep. This has been a bug for a while, I keep forgetting to bring it up.

It only affects the email preview when emailing from the site. I sent this test message, with umlauts, quotes, and an ampersand, from my player account to my reviewer account:

image.png.9697e0b5166c4cc0706bfd7630f66730.png

In both the copy the site sent to my Yahoo email client, and the email that was sent to my gmail account, the characters all display as they should:

image.thumb.png.88afd0c77d3a8cdedc8778e56f1076a4.png

image.thumb.png.00d3416032d963c75ad1b48308bf9bd6.png