Approaching DOC...

Guest rediguana

Guest rediguana

Well, the way things have been heading recently, we may have to consider approaching DOC with regards to geocaching activity. Summers coming, and activity is picking up. More coverage with NetGuide and other media...

Check out some of the threads leading to this.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000044.html

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000050.html (near the end)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001291.html (US thread)

Do we develop a background profile to approach DOC?

Do we just approach them and say we want to work with them and open a dialog?

I think we may need to start thinking about this. Look forward to your feedback.

Cheers Gav

Guest Nemesis

In the states, things have been taking a turn for the worst. One official is saying that even virtual caches are not allowed in national parks over there.

I agree, we need to do something soon.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest HunterGatherer

I'm of the opinion that we should leave this one alone for now. It's not an issue until it's raised... if we raise it, we force them to deal with the issue.

If they hear of geocaching thru the grapevine... i don't think they'll remove them all without letting us know. for one, they're understaffed and underfunded and two... they'll pass it around internally until someone makes a desicion.

i suggest we get prepared, so that if things do get questioned/investigated we THEN take action and present a prepared case in favour of geocaching... ie. letting them know we respect the land and are as concerned about it as they are etc... cache in trash out, planting on trails so social trails aren't created...

like i said, just my opinion.

Guest tgsnoopy

I agree with the utilizing existing trails issue, all my caches are installed within metres of existing tracks and I have been careful to position the caches without damaging flora and fauna in the area. However I am guilty of removing Bush lawyer, Gorse and Blackberry in the vicinity of a few, hopefully DOC wouldn't be too concerned about that

quote:
Originally posted by HunterGatherer:

I'm of the opinion that we should leave this one alone for now. It's not an issue until it's raised... if we raise it, we force them to deal with the issue

I don't think I entirely agree with HunterGatherer. For one it looks like it may be about to become an issue in the BOP. And secondly, wouldn't it be better to approach DOC before they have had any chance to form any pre-conceived ideas. I know i'd be happier if I was approached first before my land was used.

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

Check out some of the threads leading to this.http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001291.html (US thread)

I notice in the US thread mentioned by rediguana that the US has management policies regarding the use of the National parks. As I understand it DOC has management policies as well, a good starting point may be to get a copy of DOC's full official management policies regarding usage of the National and Forest parks. That will give us a starting point at least and maybe the right people to contact etc.

I'll try and track them down over the next few days, and post what I find here.

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

Well after spending a good part of my work day being transferred through many different DOC departments I have found who we will probably need to speak to at Doc and his phone number as well as the policy document they will follow in deciding about Geocaching.

Believe it or not I managed this with out mentioning Geocaching. I thought it best not to mention it, until this discussion (or is it a committee icon_smile.gif) has decided on a suitable approach.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be near a pc until Monday and aren't going to get a chance to read/decipher the policy until then either. So I am looking forward to reading some lively debate over the weekend.

I have put the document here temporarily, for anybody who wants some exciting reading over the weekend icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

quote:

Well after spending a good part of my work day being transferred through many different DOC departments I have found who we will probably need to speak to at Doc and his phone number as well as the policy document they will follow in deciding about Geocaching.

Believe it or not I managed this with out mentioning Geocaching. I thought it best not to mention it, until this discussion (or is it a committee icon_smile.gif) has decided on a suitable approach.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be near a pc until Monday and aren't going to get a chance to read/decipher the policy until then either. So I am looking forward to reading some lively debate over the weekend.

I have put the document here temporarily, for anybody who wants some exciting reading over the weekend icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Guest rediguana

quote:

... anybody who wants some exciting reading over the weekend ...

From what I've read so far its very interesting. I look forward to reading it in more detail at some stage. I'm out of town from Sunday through Saturday - expect some more points and caches to be found ...

Anyway, I think we do need to approach DOC, but I think this can work to our advantage. The one big downside to waiting for DOC to approach us, is if they find geocaching.com, and the NZ forums, and find us discussing the topic and choosing to ignore it till it becomes an issue. That would not go down very well I imagine.

I think our goal is to write a little report, outline the new activities using GPS; caching, confluences, and dashing. We need to outline how each activity works, what sort of terrain they tend to go to, and most importantly usage statistics. If we can show that there have been approximately x visits to caches since it started, over y months, and perhaps monitor these, then we could move towards a MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) with DOC that says we will monitor traffic and visits via the geocaching site, and keep them informed of the traffic levels, and the location of caches, ie how many on DOC land. If we show that the foot traffic is negligible, then there should be no problem, if traffic picks up greatly, then we and they can see what is happening and we can work together to deal with it from there.

Basically, provide information about our activities, where it tends to occur, etc and link it back to this policy document. Also, start monitoring, so we at least have some basic statistics to hey, there have been 150 cache hunts in NZ in the last year, and 10% have been on DOC land. This shouldn't be a concern, but if it grows, then we'll work with you to do something about it. I imagine it'll take a couple of days to write the summaries, and a couple more hours to grab some usage statistics from geocaching.com etc.

Interested in thoughts.

Cheers Gav