Gulliver Bear the Travelling Bear

Guest madVlad

Guest tgsnoopy

Ok guys, anyone going to Australia soon? Can we organise getting him over to meet George? I can go and get Gulliver and send him to you via courier or meet half way if practical. Can we organise this?

Team Ideology has GEOrge at the moment. He is off to Vietnam and should be back just before xmas I think. I still havent heard from them. I'll keep in touch with you on here about him. He is in Sydney at the moment though.

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

[This message has been edited by embi (edited 03 December 2001).]

Guest tgsnoopy

I wonder if Team Ideology in Sydney would be prepared to pick up Gulliver if I could organise getting him on a flight over to Australia? I would be prepared to pick him up out of 101 and take him to Hamilton and get him on a Freedom air flight to Sydney. I'm hopeful the staff over there would be co-operative if approached, in fact I might ring them later today about this. Make that I will, this could be too good an oportunity to miss, who knows, maybe the airline might choose to use it for publicity and as a spin off give us some? Anyone in Team Ideology watching these posts? What do you think?

Well, I don't know where things stand with Freedom air, I ended up on a voice mail of someone in marketing. She didn't call me back, so I guess I'll just have to be persistant and try again tommorrow.

Just got an email from Ideology. They don't have GEOrge....its Team Chaos that has him. I was given the wrong info. I will try and contact them

------------------

Guest tgsnoopy

I called Freedom air again today, spoke to a guy who answered the phone of the lady I left the message for yesterday icon_smile.gif.

Now we need to know if Team Chaos is keen, that GEOrge is in Sydney, and what timeframe we have, their is no point in rushing Gulliver over there if GEOrge has already left for Vietnam. Can someone try and get a contact for me, cause I wouldn't know where to look for them. Thanks in advance ;).

Guest tgsnoopy

I called Freedom air again today, spoke to a guy who answered the phone of the lady I left the message for yesterday icon_smile.gif.

Now we need to know if Team Chaos is keen, that GEOrge is in Sydney, and what timeframe we have, their is no point in rushing Gulliver over there if GEOrge has already left for Vietnam. Can someone try and get a contact for me, cause I wouldn't know where to look for them. Thanks in advance :D.

Hi All,

OH WOW!

As Gullivers owners, we just got an e-mail from Embi telling us about this thread and it's counterpart on the Australian forum. I can't believe how much is happening with him.

Thanks to everyone who is making this so interesting.

I hope that you can make use of him to gain some publicity for geocaching in that part of the world, if you do, please let us know so we can add it to his website. If you need us to fly there to help, we would be very happy to do so, all expenses paid of course icon_smile.gif Some hope huh ?

We were hoping that someday we will see him back home in the UK. We had thoughts that perhaps he might end up somewhere that Virgin Airlines fly into because I'm sure that they would love to fly him home for some publicity. The CEO, Richard Branson, is into unusual sorts of publicity.

Hey, if he does make it home, we will have to have a party to which everyone who has helped him is invited. Guess that not many will make the effort to fly up here just for that though, which is a pity.

Thanks again guys,

Tim & June (Winchester UK)

Guest tgsnoopy

Well it would be nice to get the two bears together, but at this point in time it appears that GEOrge is already in Vietnam, Although this still has not been confirmed. We will have to wait and see where GEOrge really is before we can negotiate this.

Lets hope we haven't missed our chance to get the two to meet each other. I guess it's quite possible that GEOrge will be left in Vietnam, hopefully we will get our chance though, time will tell.

I must admit that it is quite frustrating not knowing who has him, and it will still be quite a logistical nightmare to organise this when we do know.

I have spoken to the lady from Freedom Air today, and e-mailed her appropriate information. One thing I hadn't counted on, is that their aircraft is apparently only on the ground for 20 minutes in Australia before returning to New Zealand and the crew don't leave the aircraft! icon_biggrin.gif.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and see how it develops.

My biggest problem at the moment is our weather, it seems to have it in for us at the moment. Last weekend it was atrocious here, this weekend isn't shaping up any better with a Heavy rain warning in place for today, which came to fuition with same brilliant electrical storms and torrential downpours. I've just received another e-mail from Metservice warning of another belt of heavy rain coming through tommorrow afternoon. Oh well, I will eventually get out Geocaching and Dashing this month I suppose icon_smile.gif.

I guess there are no rules in Geocaching but it seems to me that the spirit of the travel bug is not to seek free shipping but that the object travel where fates dictate and where cachers choose to go.

Guest tgsnoopy

onal transport from cache to cache, so sumtimes for the purposes of acheiving something, we intervene and don't just leave it up to fate.

You most likely will be happy to hear, that I have no intention of going and getting Gulliver until we have something organised, we don't even know for sure where GEOrge is, He may be left in Vietnam, or we may be unable to resolve the customs issues, it may never happen, maybe I will get it all organised to find he's already been removed, fates like that, time will tell.

Thanks for your opinion, I understand what you mean, but in this case we are trying to acheive something that fate is unlikely to accomplish. I guess fate will ultimately decide if we can accomplish our goal icon_smile.gif.

Guest tgsnoopy

onal transport from cache to cache, so sumtimes for the purposes of acheiving something, we intervene and don't just leave it up to fate.

You most likely will be happy to hear, that I have no intention of going and getting Gulliver until we have something organised, we don't even know for sure where GEOrge is, He may be left in Vietnam, or we may be unable to resolve the customs issues, it may never happen, maybe I will get it all organised to find he's already been removed, fates like that, time will tell.

Thanks for your opinion, I understand what you mean, but in this case we are trying to acheive something that fate is unlikely to accomplish. I guess fate will ultimately decide if we can accomplish our goal icon_smile.gif.

One of the conditions of GEOrge going to Vietnam was that he came back. He will be going back to SNIFTER. She was the person who had GEOrge last. She has been taking GEOrge around Sydney taking many pics of him.

GEOrge is my creation and has no travel bug. I dont care how GEOrge gets around. Most of his travels are from cache to cache, but if he has to have some intervention to travel then there is no problem. I may even send GEOrge to New Zealand if need be. I have recieved an email from Gulliver's owners and they are thrilled that the two bears may meet soon and will post it to thier website. Gulliver is also not a travel bug. I feel that if we (being the owners) want this to happen then it should!

I have emailed SNIFTER and I think she'll be thrilled to help! She LOVES GEOrge and was a bit upset he took off to Vietnam! icon_smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by embi (edited 09 December 2001).]

Hi everyone,

Just to clear the air and ensure that everyone understands, we don't really mind how Gulliver achieves his ends we are just grateful for any help he gets along the way.

It looks like Gulliver is very popular (too much partying and drinking perhaps). We have recieved an e-mail from a cacher in the USA who said he was visiting NZ and he offered to take him back to California if Gulliver is still there when he arrives. In our reply to that cacher we said that we would be very happy for him to visit the USA but we gave a link to this thread as we knew you were all trying to arrange the "Bear Meeting".

If he travels to another cache in the hands of a Geocacher or a sexy Air Stewardess or a combination of the two, that will be ok as far as we are concerned. If we get some photos along the way then even better.

A warning to whoever picks up Gulliver :

Remember to excercise caution, we are led to believe that he party's hard and likes to drink to excess icon_smile.gif

Really, it is out of our hands, it is up to whoever picks him up I guess. If it feels right, do it !

Thanks to everyone who is taking an interest let's just have a good time.

Hi everyone,

Just to clear the air and ensure that everyone understands, we don't really mind how Gulliver achieves his ends we are just grateful for any help he gets along the way.

It looks like Gulliver is very popular (too much partying and drinking perhaps). We have recieved an e-mail from a cacher in the USA who said he was visiting NZ and he offered to take him back to California if Gulliver is still there when he arrives. In our reply to that cacher we said that we would be very happy for him to visit the USA but we gave a link to this thread as we knew you were all trying to arrange the "Bear Meeting".

If he travels to another cache in the hands of a Geocacher or a sexy Air Stewardess or a combination of the two, that will be ok as far as we are concerned. If we get some photos along the way then even better.

A warning to whoever picks up Gulliver :

Remember to excercise caution, we are led to believe that he party's hard and likes to drink to excess icon_smile.gif

Really, it is out of our hands, it is up to whoever picks him up I guess. If it feels right, do it !

Thanks to everyone who is taking an interest let's just have a good time.

We picked up Gulliver a couple of days ago and are in Queenstown now. Gulliver is hanging out with Bunnyperson (TB133) before saying bye to bunnyperson in NZ and travelling to US. Suffered a small injury (broken leg) and will have surgery next week before being cached in California. Hollywood here I come. May pick up a travelbug too for easier transport.

quote:
Originally posted by sdietz:

We picked up Gulliver a couple of days ago and are in Queenstown now.

Suffered a small injury (broken leg) and will have surgery next week before being cached in California. Hollywood here I come. May pick up a travelbug too for easier transport.

Hi,

Thanks for picking Gulliver up.

Also, thanks to those who tried to get Gulliver together with George.

Whichever way this went, we would have been equally pleased because each had it's own merits.

Sorry to hear about his "Broken Leg". Was this caused by Bungee jumping or did the Yakuza (see http://www.gulliverbear.co.uk/whereami.htm entry for 3rd Nov) catch up with him ? A few days after Gulliver left here we were sent a "Travel Insurance" document for him (I guess we should put it on his website). This document expressly excludes bungee jumping icon_smile.gif

Sdietz, if you do apply a Travel Bug to him we would be happy to somehow pay you for it so please email us when you have arrived home and we can try to organise it.

Thanks again everyone who has been involved or tried to become involved in Gullivers Travels. Your interest has been appreciated.

Christmas wishes to all, and hopes for a prosperous new year. Special wishes for the USA in the hope that the New Year will bring new freedom from their recent troubles.

Guest Scottworld

Glad to see the little bear is getting on round the world.

I thought that when I put him in the Japanese cache, that would be the last we saw of him for a while.

Glad to see I was wrong.

Scotty

We arrived this afternoon and Gul;liver enjoyed traveling with 5 cases of NZ red wine. Strangely enough, three bottles were missing when we arrived and I fear Gulliver was partaking in the baggage compartment. Probably partying with the ground crew. We have made a surgeons appointment for later this week for his injured leg and my kids and I will make a reconnaisance hike tomorrow to find a good cache for Gulliver. We were thinking he could be part of the initial stash in a cache near our house.

Gulliver has healed well and spent a week on the beach chatting up the blonde wildlife. Fate is smiling uppon him. When we went to drop him off at a cache, we met another couple that had just completed their first geocache. They took Gulliver with them with a clear understanding of his goals for world travel. It sounded like Ghana may be next on his list but who knows... (are their geocaches there?) Bon Voyage little bear. It's been a pleasure being part of your adventure.

Hi,

We have lost track of poor "Gulliver Bear". As many in Australia and New Zealand know, this little guy is much travelled.

He started off in the UK, went to Japan, then to New Zealand and is now in California. See his website for details www.gulliverbear.co.uk

The cacher who took him to California from New Zealand gave him to a cacher who had just made their first cache find at 'The Pit Stop' ( www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11195 ) on the 13th of January.

Unfortunately, the name or username of the new 'couriers' was not obtained and they have not yet logged their visit to the cache, therefore we do't know who currently has possession of poor Gulliver.

We hope he doesn't get lost.

If you have any information please email us at travels@gulliverbear.co.uk

Many thanks

[This message has been edited by timp (edited 15 January 2002).]

Guest tgsnoopy

Oh dear. I must say I was concerned about him as his travels do not appear to have been logged correctly from what I can tell. I have placed notes in a couple of caches to inform cache visitors of the removal of items that they may want to transport as the person(s) who picked them up haven't noted them. It is very dissapointing as this person was concerned about my motives in transporting Gulliver in non conventional cache to cache travel. Unfortunately that person hasn't been in e-mail contact with me so I do not have any way of contacting them. I must say I was very dissapointed when Gulliver was removed from the 101 cache by said person. Things could have been handled a lot more diplomaticly. Lets hope Gullivers passport is intact and you hear from whoever has him soon. I would like to see him continue his travels and was concerned about the lack of updates on the website after he was uplifted from 101.