How do I create a cache for a certain period; beginning and end dates?

WyoBronco

Under the Geocache Hiding Guidelines, caches should be hidden with the expectation of a long life.  Temporary caches will not be published.  The minimum amount of time to not be considered "temporary" is three months.  You could maybe make that work, for example, if you defined "Easter" as the period from Ash Wednesday until Pentecost. (40 days plus 50 days plus Easter weekend.)

You can coordinate with your Community Volunteer Reviewer for publication of a cache on a specific date.  Be sure to allow enough lead time before your requested date, in case there are any issues to be worked out.

• Helpful 4
5 hours ago, WyoBronco said:

I am looking at creating a temporary cache to commemorate an event; i.e. World Cup or Easter and I want the cache to have a specific start and end date. Is there a way to create this type of cache?

Place the cache well in advance and ask your Reviewer not to publish it on the appropriate date. That will commemorate the event. Then just leave it up. Why would you want it to be temporary?

Keep in mind the commemorative aspect needs to be a themed cache container or informative description without advocating i.e. running into prohibition on agendas and commercial caches.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:
6 hours ago, WyoBronco said:

I am looking at creating a temporary cache to commemorate an event; i.e. World Cup or Easter and I want the cache to have a specific start and end date. Is there a way to create this type of cache?

An Event, by instance.

But note that according to the guidelines, an event cache "Cannot be added to an existing non-geocaching event, such as meet-ups at concerts, fairs, sporting events, and scouting events".

FWIW, I've found a number of caches that were placed to commemorate specific holidays, but which remained available after that. Finding them in-season might have a certain appeal, but they were available year round.

• Upvote 3