Map Selection Feature Glitch

trekkerdmc

So, with the most recent update to the Geocaching App, I noticed that it has followed the annoying update that it seems google maps employs. 

Namely, you used to be able to go to the selection feature and click which map you wanted (trails, street, satellite etc.)  and it would switch to that map immediately with no further user input required.

NOW, you have to select the map you want and then hit the back arrow to actually see the map you just chose.  In short they turned a one step process in to a Two step process for whatever reason I can't imagine.  I know.. first world problems but it's more inconvenient and if you are driving for example you have another step to complete so that seems safer.. Right?  (note: heavy sarcasm) 

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, trekkerdmc said:

So, with the most recent update to the Geocaching App, I noticed that it has followed the annoying update that it seems google maps employs. 

Namely, you used to be able to go to the selection feature and click which map you wanted (trails, street, satellite etc.)  and it would switch to that map immediately with no further user input required.

NOW, you have to select the map you want and then hit the back arrow to actually see the map you just chose.  In short they turned a one step process in to a Two step process for whatever reason I can't imagine.  I know.. first world problems but it's more inconvenient and if you are driving for example you have another step to complete so that seems safer.. Right?  (note: heavy sarcasm) 

Confirmed. Super annoying. I do not like this change.

I think the "Done" button on ios is more obvious than the back arrow on Android. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 2
On 1/30/2023 at 3:41 PM, trekkerdmc said:

you used to be able to go to the selection feature and click which map you wanted (trails, street, satellite etc.)  and it would switch to that map immediately with no further user input required.

NOW, you have to select the map you want and then hit the back arrow to actually see the map you just chose. 

Just updated, and confirm that I do not like the change.  I switch between trail view and satellite view often enough that this is an extra click every time I switch and is annoying.  Thanks to the OP, I knew how to get to the map view I chose, but it's not spelled out or intuitive - it puts a check next to the map I chose, and then sits there, until I do something but it's not clear what I need to do, and that I have hit the back arrow; if this extra step is needed, a button to say OK or Confirm my choice would be nice.

• Upvote 2
On 1/30/2023 at 5:41 PM, trekkerdmc said:

I'm wondering now if the reason this is now a two-step process is because it now includes the option to show Favorites on the map. Previously it was just a map selection but now it's also including a feature which complicates the selection. Just a theory. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1