How do I use the right coordinates to place a cache?

Timbox88

Hi guys,

Maybe a silly question, but I totally don't have a clue about how to place a cache. When I go to the page for it and I fill in the coordinates for the location where I want to place my cache (got the coordinates from google maps) it keeps telling me the coordinates are from a totally different location.

Anybody got a clue of what I'm doing wrong? Please let me know!

Thx in advance! 

• Upvote 1

First and foremost, do not rely solely on Google Maps to obtain coordinates.  You must visit the cache location and record coordinates in the field that are as accurate as possible.  There's a Help Center article about obtaining accurate coordinates, and I hope it assists you.  The article includes instructions for recording coordinates using the official Geocaching SmartPhone Apps.  What device do you use for geocaching?

You may also be encountering coordinate format questions.  There's also a Help Center article about coordinate formats.  Google Maps uses the Decimal Degrees format, while Geocaching.com uses the Degrees/Minutes/Decimal Minutes format for display purposes.  If you don't understand the math for converting from one format to another, use an online conversion tool such as the one found at boulter.com.

If you think you've used the right coordinate format and numbers, double-check the accuracy of other syntax such as decimal points, commas and minus signs.  The Western Hemisphere (for longitude) and the Southern Hemisphere (for latitude) are "negative" when expressing coordinates.

Edited by Keystone
  • Helpful 7

In addition to Keystone's excellent advice, once you have your coordinates, I suggest that you test them in the field.

Enter your coordinates into your device, and then approach the cache location from at least 100ft/30m away. The arrow should point right at the cache location as you approach. Repeat the process, approaching the cache location from various directions, from at least 100ft/30m away each time. No matter which direction you approach from, the arrow should point right at the cache location.

If it doesn't, then adjust your coordinates until it does.

Bonus points for repeating the test on another day when the GPS satellites are in a different configuration.

• Helpful 5
2 hours ago, Timbox88 said:

Hi guys,

Maybe a silly question, but I totally don't have a clue about how to place a cache. When I go to the page for it and I fill in the coordinates for the location where I want to place my cache (got the coordinates from google maps) it keeps telling me the coordinates are from a totally different location.

Anybody got a clue of what I'm doing wrong? Please let me know!

Thx in advance! 

Thanks for asking!!!!!

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/29/2023 at 8:55 AM, Keystone said:

First and foremost, do not rely solely on Google Maps to obtain coordinates.  You must visit the cache location and record coordinates in the field that are as accurate as possible. 

I use google maps to recheck coordinates I have obtained in the field, on my phone and/or my Etrex handheld.  I also use the satellite view on the app and google maps to see if it is close to the coordinates ... and I do this on a couple of different days, as niraD suggested. 

• Upvote 1