bluewalker

Ariberna

1 hour ago, ScroogieII said:

Not being by any stretch of the imagination "Up To Date" on such things, now all I need is for someone to clue me in on just what "Bluewalker" actually IS!! :o :( :)

... AND ... Could this mean that we are now short one category?

Keith

Bluewalker is the first steps to a communications satellite system with huge flat reflective panels.  BlueWalker 3 - AST SpaceMobile | AST SpaceMobile (ast-science.com).  Its reflection is bright as the brightest star at times, but ISS is a lot brighter.  So were the old Iridium satellites.

I found out about its existence from this thread.  It currently remains just about the height of the horizon here (Atlanta), not sure if its orbit brings it higher for a better view.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
On 1/26/2023 at 6:08 PM, kunarion said:

Bluewalker is the first steps to a communications satellite system with huge flat reflective panels.  BlueWalker 3 - AST SpaceMobile | AST SpaceMobile (ast-science.com).  Its reflection is bright as the brightest star at times, but ISS is a lot brighter.  So were the old Iridium satellites.

I found out about its existence from this thread.  It currently remains just about the height of the horizon here (Atlanta), not sure if its orbit brings it higher for a better view.

Well, thank you, kunarion, for the edification.

Its altitude of "just about the height of the horizon here (Atlanta)" could/would/should mean that it's not something I would have had the privilege of viewing lately, even if I had been scouring the night skies in times recent, which I haven't been.

You see, I'm in Canucky Land.

Moreover, to the south of me is a pretty good sized hill/mountain, requiring that an earth orbiting object, or ANY object, for that matter, should it present itself primarily in southern skies, must elevate itself a good 15 or so degrees skyward to become visible here.

AAMOF, I've lived within hills and mountains for so long that, as best I can recall, the only time I've actually seen The Horizon in many years was last August, when a friend and myself took an all too brief Jaunt To Alberta.

But, until we/I learn more about Bluewalker's projected trajectory, it shall remain a myth here in the Great White North.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Helpful 1