News article

Ariberna

Recently I have been denied a publication in NEWs article because there was already a news in the area.

I asked if it had been a subsequent rule change in some year, since there are several WMs from certain sites published by the same person or several, without respecting that half-mile radius or the 25-year period between news, and the reviewer's response is that I asked Max and 99 to explain it to me.
Well, I don't understand that I don't get an answer and that a reviewer sends me another who is not a category reviewer.
Any more convincing answer?

Thanks

Edited by Ariberna

The category instructions for News Article Locations state that there is only one Waymark allowed per location.  I have found that not all reviewers follow the category instruction the same way - some are more strict and some less.  It has happened to me in another category where my Waymark has been denied despite there being almost identical approved Waymarks.  Ultimately, I think we have to accept that sometimes Waymarks that don't follow the instructions get through the review process, but that doesn't mean that we should expect others to do the same if they don't follow the instructions for the category.  

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, jonathanatpsu said:

The category instructions for News Article Locations state that there is only one Waymark allowed per location.  I have found that not all reviewers follow the category instruction the same way - some are more strict and some less.  It has happened to me in another category where my Waymark has been denied despite there being almost identical approved Waymarks.  Ultimately, I think we have to accept that sometimes Waymarks that don't follow the instructions get through the review process, but that doesn't mean that we should expect others to do the same if they don't follow the instructions for the category.  

One per location?

"DUPLICATES: One location may have several articles written about it, but only one waymark per location will be accepted. Exceptions may be made if the articles are from different historical periods (25+ years). Additionally only one waymark will be accepted for the same event within a ½ mile radius."

You can find some places that has a lot of that of the same WM or different, without the rules.

What offends me the most about all this is that sometimes WM published from a long time ago was canceled because (they did not follow the rules or were approved by mistake) but other published ones have not been cancelled. Do I have to give examples of WM in news article of the same place?

Edited by Ariberna

If you post a waymark and it is denied, even when you think It is an easy pass, I always ask myself: is it worth the struggle? If It is an easy fix, I'll try that one. If it is difficult or you totally disagree with the reviewer, I would try a different category and if I don 't know a different one, I post it in uncategorised. My experience is that a lengthy discussion with a reviewer always leads to frustation and in most cases still to a denial.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

It may be, but the categories are made (some from a long time ago) and have some requirements to be approved that are sometimes prior to certain reviewers. Therefore if the "new reviewers" do not agree they will have to change the category.
For example, there are categories that do not require a photo to create a brand. If a reviewer wants to, can he deny you because he wants you to put a photo?
I will always appreciate the collaboration of the reviewers, of course, but some "flies off the handle"

I understand the frustration in those cases, but thankfully, based on my experience, the vast majority of reviewers are kind and helpful.  I have had many instances in which I have not included something that was required and the reviewer explained it to me and helped me to get the Waymark accepted.  There have been a couple of occasions when the reviewer was not very helpful, but those have been few and far between.  I try not to let the rare bad experience overshadow the fact that most reviewers do a great job, especially considering that they are volunteering their time to support our hobby.  

• Love 4
On 1/24/2023 at 5:32 AM, jonathanatpsu said:

The category instructions for News Article Locations state that there is only one Waymark allowed per location

Strictly speaking, if I'm referring to the correct category, which I believe I am,  if a second news article is submitted for a given site, BUT from a substantially different era, such as 2010, then 1908, they have been accepted. At least that has been my history and I've done over 1,000 in this category.

Keith

If you see WM of interesting places/monument, you see news of the same year for the same person, without 25 years.

If you didn't found what I send you for private the WM's and you will have your conclusions.

I have the feeling that in certain categories several are approved depending on who sends them

• Upvote 1

This requirement is really easy to understand "One location may have several articles written about it, but only one waymark per location will be accepted."

As in the past some waymarks have been validated not following this restriction, it was errors but you think that you have the right to publish it again.

In your private message, you seem to imply that wayfrog agrees with you, i will be really happy if wayfrog could give his point of view.

The problem is that in each category you have a problem when we decline one of your waymark, you did not undestand for example why an elephant drawings can not be publish in space invader category. 

Try to accept to have waymarks denied, all officers would feel better because we do not know how to make you understand

• Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1

Sorry Alfouine, but the one who doesn't seem to understand is you.

I have a total of over 150 WMs that didn't get accepted, and almost twice as many of them deleted because I agreed with the decision. I have only said that I informed myself with several people, the one who says that wayfrog agrees or not, is you.

In this category I focus on published WMs of the same waymarker with the same point, which is more serious. I have been denied WM in other categories, which have already been published, for having been poorly published, as you say.

The problem, if you look in the forums, is that I have protested about three WMs, and precisely, you deny them in a sometimes arbitrary way. It is not the first time that you have sent me a WM back for "bad photos" according to your criteria, and they are valid for 4 or 5 different categories published by the same brand. I will accept the rules of a category when they are clear, up to date and not applied arbitrarily. Or can you deny me a publication if a category does not require a photo or requires one for putting a good one and another or two bad ones greater than the good one? or you can denied other because it has photos... of my Tripadvisor count. Well, you've done it. 

Apply the criteria well and I won't complain anymore. It seems to me that a little more humility is needed.

PD and with more than 8800 WN published one is a little, but the rules are the rules.

And of course, what I always say:  my greats and thanks for the reviewers that review the game. 

Edited by Ariberna