Outstanding bug list

the Seagnoid

Some of these bugs have been outstanding for years, and have been commented on in the forums numerous times.

Trackable ID error page does not help: Go Play > Trackables > enter an incorrect tracking id (the code on the trackable itself). This takes you to Geocaching > Trackable Items > Trackable Item Search, with the incorrect tracking id entered in the "By keyword" field. However entering a correct tracking ID in this field takes us to the same page. Either this page should not be used for incorrect tracking IDs, or the by keyword field should resolve tracking IDs.

Incorrect dates in souvenirs, lab finds - the date math is wrong and often (usually?) uses a date one day in the future. Eg, I find a cache on 1 January and I get the New Year's souvenir dated 2 January. Lab caches are also a day out as seen in their journals. At the time, the 2nd January has not appeared anywhere on the planet. Geocache date finds are calculated correctly, please use that date math (in fact, please use that date code) for souvenirs and lab finds. This may be time of day related, as some people report the dates correctly. This is a big one guys!!

Adlabs do not email the log (journal) to the CO. Why was this ever made into a thing???

Adlabs allow the CO to self log their own caches - a geocaching rule was implemented for non-labs caches preventing this around about 2016 (that's just a guess). This principle got missed on lab caches (and I would submit that self logged lab finds - and there are some - should summarily be deleted given that the code denying self logged caches was introduced long before lab caches were introduced. But then I am very black-and-white.)

Total cache find count for each friend in the View Friends page is incorrect. One whole cache type (lab caches) is missing from from the count.

There are probably more. Please feel free to add to this list.

Edited by the Seagnoid
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 3

I'll add one that's been present for several years now. When a PNG or GIF image is uploaded to a cache page, the contents of the file are quietly changed to progressive jpeg with no warning and no change to the file suffix. There are plenty of puzzle caches that rely on these file formats, for example where the solution is encoded in RGB values, yet this behaviour isn't even documented in the Help Centre, leaving unwary COs oblivious to the fact that their carefully crafted PNG or GIF file has turned into a jpeg without even the .JPG extension to suggest anything's changed. The only explanation given for this is that, for players on slow internet connections, it looks prettier for images to gradually come into focus than to be built up raster-fashion. Talk about form over function!

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

And then there is the "you have clicked a link" popup that appears even when the link is to an image that was uploaded to the cache page itself.

I'd point out of the foolishness of the "you have clicked a link" popup itself, but Groundspeak's lawyers have spoken.

• Upvote 2
11 hours ago, the Seagnoid said:

Some of these bugs have been outstanding for years, and have been commented on in the forums numerous times.

Trackable ID error page does not help: Go Play > Trackables > enter an incorrect tracking id (the code on the trackable itself). This takes you to Geocaching > Trackable Items > Trackable Item Search, with the incorrect tracking id entered in the "By keyword" field. However entering a correct tracking ID in this field takes us to the same page. Either this page should not be used for incorrect tracking IDs, or the by keyword field should resolve tracking IDs.

Incorrect dates in souvenirs, lab finds - the date math is wrong and often (usually?) uses a date one day in the future. Eg, I find a cache on 1 January and I get the New Year's souvenir dated 2 January. Lab caches are also a day out as seen in their journals. At the time, the 2nd January has not appeared anywhere on the planet. Geocache date finds are calculated correctly, please use that date math (in fact, please use that date code) for souvenirs and lab finds. This may be time of day related, as some people report the dates correctly. This is a big one guys!!

Adlabs do not email the log (journal) to the CO. Why was this ever made into a thing???

Adlabs allow the CO to self log their own caches - a geocaching rule was implemented for non-labs caches preventing this around about 2016 (that's just a guess). This principle got missed on lab caches (and I would submit that self logged lab finds - and there are some - should summarily be deleted given that the code denying self logged caches was introduced long before lab caches were introduced. But then I am very black-and-white.)

Total cache find count for each friend in the View Friends page is incorrect. One whole cache type (lab caches) is missing from from the count.

There are probably more. Please feel free to add to this list.

Problem when you search from the main page on PC application Geocaching.com/play/search, you go back for any search to a list and sometime (not always) a map that list & represent cache around you registered location, not on the place you are searching for, this bug is reported since Nov (to my knowledge) and affect also search from a cache page when you try to find 'nearby caches' still today. Do all you technical people gone? Other sites are well better reactive to not name them

• Love 1