Automatic change view in potret or landscape on smartphone or tablet

Ton&Ellen

Hi,

Just found out on my Samsung tablet with Android 13, so I do not know whether this is specific Samsung or Android 13 or combination of both:

Settings/Advanced functions/Labs has an option to display portrait apps in landscape.

You choose the app (here Adventure Lab and Geocache app) and then even choose whether you want to keep the original aspect ratio (gives you narrow image with black left and right) or full screen which does just that: full screen image that you can scroll down.

This is an automatic feature, so when you turn the tablet back, image will change auto.

Works like a charm!!

Hopes this helps you!

• Helpful 1
7 hours ago, Wolfke2070 said:

Hi,

Just found out on my Samsung tablet with Android 13, so I do not know whether this is specific Samsung or Android 13 or combination of both:

Settings/Advanced functions/Labs has an option to display portrait apps in landscape.

You choose the app (here Adventure Lab and Geocache app) and then even choose whether you want to keep the original aspect ratio (gives you narrow image with black left and right) or full screen which does just that: full screen image that you can scroll down.

This is an automatic feature, so when you turn the tablet back, image will change auto.

Works like a charm!!

Hopes this helps you!

Thank you!  I always use my Samsung Galaxy S7 tablet in landscape, in a stand, and I've been looking for this setting ever since a couple of Apps became Portrait In Landscape.  Now I can set the rest of my "Portrait-Only" Apps.

The Official App now works on a landscape positioned tablet.  It places the portrait-only App into the landscape screen, and becomes full-screen again if the tablet is rotated to portrait view.  If I were in the field with the tablet, I'd probably use a protective case and hold the device in portrait view to match the App defaults.  I don't carry it around like that, and my tablet uses wifi only.

However, many Android Apps and some 3rd-party Geocaching Apps switch to a full-screen landscape view automatically where they populate the screen in a way that takes advantage of the space, not merely becoming a small portrait App within a wide screen.  As it applies to this topic, I'd prefer a full screen regardless of device orientation.

image.jpeg.38c915848b60c5d1068efdf424db7847.jpeg

Edited by kunarion

Hello,

Glad to be of help.

For info: I have a Galaxy Tab 8 with Android 13 and under the Advanced functions/Labs I get the possibilities as follows:

Screenshot_20230127_105119_Settings.thumb.jpg.676307b2775f81977d9e96f659fddcec.jpg

Sorry everything is in Dutch, but you get the picture (literally :-) ) As you can see, the bottom option says "full screen". Apps can be chosen from list and for every app I can choose the "full screen" or the view "standard app" which gives the lay-out in your screenshot.

This is the screen I get afterwards:

Screenshot_20230127_103655_Geocaching.thumb.jpg.e798814c425230272d62759a689c1c3b.jpg

As you can see: full width Geocache app scrollable. When turning the tablet to portrait, image turns auto to portrait as well.

I will admit: I do NOT have this option on my phone (Samsung A52S with Android 13)...

Hope this clears things out...

Best regards

5 hours ago, Wolfke2070 said:

Hello,

Glad to be of help.

For info: I have a Galaxy Tab 8 with Android 13 and under the Advanced functions/Labs I get the possibilities as follows:

Screenshot_20230127_105119_Settings.thumb.jpg.676307b2775f81977d9e96f659fddcec.jpg

Sorry everything is in Dutch, but you get the picture (literally :-) ) As you can see, the bottom option says "full screen". Apps can be chosen from list and for every app I can choose the "full screen" or the view "standard app" which gives the lay-out in your screenshot.

This is the screen I get afterwards:

Screenshot_20230127_103655_Geocaching.thumb.jpg.e798814c425230272d62759a689c1c3b.jpg

As you can see: full width Geocache app scrollable. When turning the tablet to portrait, image turns auto to portrait as well.

I will admit: I do NOT have this option on my phone (Samsung A52S with Android 13)...

Hope this clears things out...

Best regards

My tablet tablet and phone don't have the full screen option so I can't test that.  But when rotated to landscape, some Apps change the layout to take advantage of the width.  It would not be merely fitting the thin vertical App to cover the whole screen.  It instead places the information side by side, or at least fills the screen with useful things to look at.  If it is only making the lines longer as in the screenshot above, it's not a lot different from the "Portrait in Landscape" view.  Except that you don't see the tablet wallpaper.

Apps like Geooh Go can automatically change the screen to fill it with things that take advantage of the big wide screen of a tablet.  This is a vast improvement over merely stretching the portrait App across the screen to be "wide". 

I like not having to turn the tablet to see the App right side up.  That's great, and Portrait In Landscape is suitable in that case, it shows the App correctly.  But if The Official Geocaching App were updated to fit a wide screen tablet, I would like the App to dynamically adapt to landscape mode.

image.jpeg.7c848365f12e8607f5448f0cd64fa80f.jpeg

Edited by kunarion