Bug? Searching by city and state for San Antonio, Texas, returns odd result

hzoi

Both the search page and the search map return some odd results when I try searching by city, even though the search bar on both of those claims I can search by "City, state, coordinates, GC code..." It appears the main issue is that the search does not recognize full state names.

I was looking for caches in San Antonio, Texas. It's a decent sized town; you'd think it would be pretty easy to find.

Search page: 0 results.

image.thumb.png.58b0ff48432d86b98d36b1eef7c1d57d.png

Search map: puts me near a highway exit for San Andrés, Mexico. The coordinates are N 16.6190 W 93.6101, according to the URL in my browser. Mapping the results I get from the old seek page also puts me here.

image.thumb.png.4b5c5d9d6c815ef6ae312e05a29d1f18.png

Searching San Antonio, TX, at least gets me in the ballpark, though the coordinates are centered on Kelly Field, not the middle of town. Still - closer than southern Mexico.

Searching for other cities seemed to work relatively well, both with the full state name and abbreviations, so I don't know what the issue is here.

• Helpful 1
On 1/18/2023 at 12:05 PM, hzoi said:

I was looking for caches in San Antonio, Texas. It's a decent sized town; you'd think it would be pretty easy to find.

Did select the name from the drop down list or type/paste it in? The search will only work if you select the name from the drop down menu.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/21/2023 at 10:39 AM, MtnGoat50 said:
On 1/18/2023 at 3:05 PM, hzoi said:

Did select the name from the drop down list or type/paste it in? The search will only work if you select the name from the drop down menu.

Yes, I did.

I typed "San Antonio, Texas" into the search bar without hitting enter, and as you can see below, it came up as the third option, after two caches near me that have "san" in the title.

Capture.JPG.5fd35ff87bbad509ae28cc35a5194c58.JPG

Clicking that got me to this zero results page. Seems like a bug, so I posted it here.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, HHL said:

Do ONLY type San Antonio, without the state. The state appears with the dropdown. :rolleyes:

Interesting. It seems to work fine with the state for:

San Antonio, California

San Antonio, Colorado

San Antonio, Florida

San Antonio, Missouri

San Antonio, New Mexico

But it doesn't work for:

San Antonio, Texas

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, HHL said:

It works! Just follow my instructions:

I understand your instructions.

My point is that San Antonio, Texas is not being treated the same way as the other San Antonios. For all the others, you can type "San Antonio, [State]" and then select the corresponding entry from the popup menu, and it works. For San Antonio, Texas, if you do that, then you get an empty result (the "DNF" page originally posted by hzoi). I'm hoping that this helps the Lackeys narrow down the website bug that hzoi reported here, in the forum for website bug/feature discussion.

On 1/23/2023 at 3:04 PM, HHL said:

Do ONLY type San Antonio, without the state. The state appears with the dropdown. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your responses.

I'm not saying there is no way to search for caches in San Antonio.  Nor was I looking for help in doing so.

Posting bugs is one of the primary functions of this forum, and I like to be helpful when I can. So when I find one, and it doesn't appear that anyone else has brought it up, I post it here to let Groundspeak know.

The point of this particular topic is that I encountered an inexplicable error when I tried searching for geocaches in San Antonio, Texas. It appears to be an unintentional bug, so I documented the steps I took when I encountered the bug and posted it here. In the process of doing so, I also managed to successfully search for caches near San Antonio, as mentioned in my initial post.

I'm off to lunch. Have a swell day.

• Helpful 1