Size large in trees

granskog123

I’m thinking of hiding a big geocache in a tree with plenty of space for TB:s and a bigger logbook. I already have an idea on how to build it, but I’m wondering how a geocache of that size usually are placed in a tree? When filtering for size large + attribute “requires tree-climbing” the geocache-app returns very few caches and loads caches further away than usual. Many of the caches are letterboxes- to fit the theme of a mailbox perhaps? 

Have you found or hidden one, and how where it made?

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, granskog123 said:

One of the few large-size caches I've found was a plastic footlocker lowered into a hollow stump. The trail passed on the uphill side of the stump, and the top of the stump was about even with the trail. It was pretty easy to walk over to the stump, reach down, and lift the cache out.

20 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

I have found a couple ammo cans up in a tree.  One was like a treehouse.  I have also found one that used a pulley system and you could lower it down, you had to find the tie off point, rather than trying to climb to it.

I've seen several like both of these.

Also, just a big one nestled in the spacious fork of a very accommodating tree.

I also added a mailbox (the kind you see attached to a house, not to a post) to the side of a tree. I used a daisy chain of large zip ties so I didn't have to use any nails.

Edit to add: keep in mind, if it's not your tree, you're likely going to need permission to do anything more than just stick a cache between some branches.

Edited by hzoi

We still have one, a rope or ladder to access cache that's a huge rural mailbox on an upright tree branch.  Has two large containers inside.

I used a tree seat frame, bolted it to the mailbox, and it's held to the tree with the frame's ratchet straps around wooden slats (to protect the bark). 

Most we've found were containers hanging from a limb.

Yeah, I have also seen a Large hidden inside a large tree stump (and lots of regulars). 

In more than one instance, the cache was attached to a rope, and the other end was tied to a (natural) stick which was suspended across the entire top of the stump. Thus by reaching the stick, you could retrieve the cache by pulling up the rope even though the stump was quite deep inside (to deep to reach the cache by hand).

On 12/13/2022 at 12:00 PM, granskog123 said:

I’m thinking of hiding a big geocache in a tree with plenty of space for TB:s and a bigger logbook. I already have an idea on how to build it, but I’m wondering how a geocache of that size usually are placed in a tree? When filtering for size large + attribute “requires tree-climbing” the geocache-app returns very few caches and loads caches further away than usual. Many of the caches are letterboxes- to fit the theme of a mailbox perhaps? 

I've placed several with a setup like this one.  This is on a low branch, but I've set up some which are to be lowered by a rope, where the pulley rings are 20 feet up.  No climbing required to place nor find my caches, but it's of course possible to set them up as a tree climbing cache.

image.jpeg.4f5de6de897d9cba67069820d29a4f52.jpeg

It can be placed on a higher branch.  This is just an example.

image.jpeg.7075c9d0cb2f1ad5b584ccfc9c2ee126.jpeg

image.jpeg.fdc167ecdef9f5a37ea2422abfecc3e8.jpeg

I install a hardware eyelet inside the latch, with the intent that it can't unlatch until the hook is removed.  But it could instead be hung on a handle.  I use nylon straps on the branches to make it easier to get land owner permission in a nature area -- it's a "cambium saver", doesn't harm most trees.  It's also possible (just tricky) to pull it over a high branch without requiring a climb.  Real cambium savers are designed for this, but they're expensive, and I'm cheap.

One problem with using an ammo box is, Geocachers can't figure out how to close them.  If it's designed to be hung on a branch, it's critical that it's always closed properly.  And in this case, also clipped properly.  Except for those fatal flaws, this would be a rock-solid way to place a cache in a tree.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

My only tree climbing cache is set up similar to this, with a small lock-and-lock.  There's a clip hook and eyelet attached to a cord.  It could instead be a large plastic box, but Small is easier on my budget -- these things pretty beat up and need replacement more often than one on the ground.  If people are climbing a tree, others are likely watching below, so I won't place a metal ammo box unless I know for sure it could never fall on someone's head during a Find.  And a metal ammo box easily separates from its lid.

image.jpeg.b068f8cc84a8c57896d809eeb51b5159.jpeg

image.jpeg.24daffc94c601f3650b369711b08854f.jpeg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1