My Oregon 750 won't allow me to upload drafts suddenly!

Sheesh

No that did not work.I deleted the file,marked a cache found on my gps without any added notes.plugged my gps in again and clicked drafts, scrolled down to geocache visits file which had appeared again after I deleted it but the same result.error says "geocache_visits.txt" is not in the correct format

13 minutes ago, Sheesh said:

I load using gsak. Could you show me what it should look like before I load please?

That's the reason, the cache name is being sent by GSAK instead of the GC Code.  The Visits TXT file should have the GC Code like this:

GC3EG1C,2021-11-25T16:44Z,Found it,""

I saw an old thread about this kind of thing, but no specific solution was mentioned.

But don't manually edit the geocache_visits.txt file (just in case you are tempted to do so :anicute:).  Delete it or rename it or move it out of the Garmin onto the PC, and allow a new one to be generated.  In the case of deleting a file on a Mac,  empty the Trash before disconnecting the Garmin USB cable.

Edited by kunarion

I can't even find menu!!

I have been loading for several years using export to gpx loc file

But recently I switched some stuff around there because I was trying to load my car gps which is a drivesmart 51 so I changed some stuff and now don't remember what.in retrospect probably that is when my other problem began.

9 minutes ago, HHL said:

Don't blame GSAK. The reason is a User fault.

I know that GSAK can work with files properly.  I meant that the GPX file was not sent directly, it was specially changed and then sent.  GSAK is where the file originated, it was the source, a consideration, extra important info to include when asking, it was a converted file, it has gone through special processing, it is a major clue about what happened.  If it was instead a PQ unzipped and placed onto the Garmin, it would be a mystery how the file got changed (web site bug?).

Edited by kunarion

yippee! Corrected! Can anyone help me with my drivesmart 51 loading using gsak? This is the story.there is a macro but it loads as a poi file and I would like it to load as a favourite so I can delete caches as I find them not all at once like a poi file.I was trying many things this screwing up my gsak export 

15 minutes ago, HHL said:

If you prefer the Export branch, this is the way to go:

9016471f369028c69640b360994827d9.png

When using the file format GPX you are limited to 5000 geocaches. But a GPX includes additional waypoints-

GGZ files are virtually unlimted, but do NOT contain additonal waypoints.

Using the "Send Waypoints" feature from the GPS menu automatically selects the GGZ format and exports the Children (additional waypoints) as POIs.

I will try this other way sometime.thanks

6 minutes ago, Sheesh said:

I also want the geocache names not the code which is why I had changed it

No, that's not the correct way creating a geocache GPX file. Do NOT alter the files' structure. You'll break things, as seen with your FieldNotes file.

You may select to show Name or Code on your Oregon. It's a Garmin setting.

Hans

Edited by HHL
  • Helpful 1