GPS 66sr geocaching , birdseye not working USELESS

Hi

So I have a gpsmap 66sr . Its geocaching reg fails . Its cannot connect to birdseye image servers and it fails to pull active weather data . I cannot fid a fix anywhere and I,m over it a 800 buck gps unit brand new should not fails like this . Not to mention this is the 2nd unit . YES THIS IS REPLACEMENT UNIT . Anyone know why or how to fix this . Ive wasted a day trying to fix it and am nearly ready to smash the dam thing . 

@timdevaneynz

I use my phone to find the caches . Works great .

Why don't you just keep going like this? Garmin pretty much screwed up in Geocaching. I use my Garmin Montana 600 for emergencies only, when far away from civilization.

Hans

Edited by HHL
  • Helpful 1

If it's not too late to get your money back...

A good phone caching app will have 1) satellite imagery, and 2) weather data, the two things you mentioned.  Locus Map at one of the subscription tiers has this.  Rugged Android phones are cheaply available if you only have a fragile phone you don't want to use for caching, SIM not necessary...

On 12/9/2022 at 11:42 AM, HHL said:

@timdevaneynz

Why don't you just keep going like this? Garmin pretty much screwed up in Geocaching. I use my Garmin Montana 600 for emergencies only, when far away from civilization.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:57 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

If it's not too late to get your money back...

Can we please stop giving useless answers?
Reminds me of "Use Apple" advices in Windows forums (and vice-versa)

• Helpful 1
On 12/9/2022 at 9:17 AM, timdevaneynz said:

So I have a gpsmap 66sr . Its geocaching reg fails . 

Edited by RCH65

You have to be on WiFi to download Birdseye View maps and register your unit with geocaching.com.  Also, follow the suggestions above by RCH65.  If you've done that, then the next step would be to contact Garmin regarding the unit.  I have the exact same model and I have no issues with it. I love it.

It might be worth slowing going back to basics. Tell us what you HAVE successfully accomplished with this unit. You say it's not getting a fix, but are you complaining about turning it on for the first time? Is it not getting a fix within 20 minutes, or is it not getting a fix after several hours?

Are you trying to load BirdsEye maps via a computer or wirelessly? Are you connecting to WiFi or using your phone as a hotspot? Have you paired the GPS with your phone? And is your phone set up for data tethering (you will need to make it work in the field)? 

Do you have an active BirdsEye subscription (costs extra and is linked to your hardware)? Is it set up with your GPS's serial number?

Is this your first Garmin GPS device?

Have you come back to this forum to read what we've replied (fair question as many will ask their questions and not check back in)?

Edited by Mineral2
On 12/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, Mineral2 said:

Do you have an active BirdsEye subscription (costs extra and is linked to your hardware)? Is it set up with your GPS's serial number?

Just a little added info here.  My GPS66sr came with free subscription to Birdseye view.  Not sure if this is something that the questioner is aware of.  But of course this would have to be set up by registering the unit and using a Wifi connection to download the Birdeye view maps.