20th Cache Machine Anniversary Bremerton III January 7th

quadsinthemudd

@Terrible Ts - I was able to use the Template you created to import the cachetur trip just fine.  I'm not sure how many tweaks there will be to the route yet, so I'm not sure whether or not to turn this into a trip or wait for a later draft.  One thing I know that I find helpful and will definitely do for the trip if you don't is to add parking coords to every stop.  Can you do that for a template?

Local cache owners are excitedly watching the progress of the cache machine plans.  It happens that we are getting together this coming Saturday afternoon (17th) in Silverdale.  Is there anything that you need from us?  If anyone has additional hide plans for locations along the route, we should get those published soon, right?

Personally, I am happy to see my Virtual at the Navy Undersea Museum in Keyport on the list.  I think it will be a nice dry spot, if it is raining, and a decent pit stop, though I am thinking that I should alert the volunteers there that visitors may be in a rush!

Looking forward to the fun.  Thanks for organizing!

22 hours ago, DiscGolfBirdie said:

Local cache owners are excitedly watching the progress of the cache machine plans.  It happens that we are getting together this coming Saturday afternoon (17th) in Silverdale.  Is there anything that you need from us?  If anyone has additional hide plans for locations along the route, we should get those published soon, right?

Personally, I am happy to see my Virtual at the Navy Undersea Museum in Keyport on the list.  I think it will be a nice dry spot, if it is raining, and a decent pit stop, though I am thinking that I should alert the volunteers there that visitors may be in a rush!

Looking forward to the fun.  Thanks for organizing!

I am super excited that your caches are on the route.  Yes, it would be a great idea to let them know. Would you be willing to contact them and give them heads up that there may be people coming in mostly on Saturday, but also on Friday and/or Sunday. I will chat with you on Saturday. 

9 hours ago, crs98 said:

I'm looking forward to this one quite a lot.  At the moment, https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8KR8F (stop #52) is missing and disabled. As @DiscGolfBirdie is an active participant in this discussion, I'm guessing there's a decent chance it will get replaced.

Yes she is very aware and working on getting it back up and running plus going to check on the others. Right know the Bremerton area got hit with snow and lots of very ice side roads. I know she will be getting out and checking once it is safer to be on the roads. 

Leap Day commemoration cache has been replaced AND moved closer to the pull out spot: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8KR8F

Another park and grab, with pull outs on both sides of Tracyton Boulevard, has just published and is right along the proposed route: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC9GX70

Sun is shining here right now, so I am heading out for cache maintenance on the oldies from Team Geo-Duck days.

Also, I stopped by the Naval Undersea Museum on New Year's Eve, between events, and provided a written thank you note, quoting selected cache logs, to demonstrate how happy everyone has been to visit this year.  Of course, I added a "heads up" for the "hurrying" visitors expected on January 7th!  I was really pleased to see that benandjayme had been there that day too, after the morning event at Battle Point Park!

Uh-oh! Another casualty: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8AE66 

benandjayme say the the letterbox is missing (for the 3rd time for them).  I will check and try to get this one replaced too, but I'm not sure about the stamp.

Edited by DiscGolfBirdie
14 hours ago, DiscGolfBirdie said:

Uh oh! 2 recent DNFs for Chop-ter: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC93GDK_chop-ter

I don't know this cache owner, but these are reliable reporters.  That is two of three at Island Lake.  Good parking and pretty views here, so worth replacements.  I'll see what I can do.

Ah ha! Letterbox is in place after all.  Suggested update to clues provided to cache owner:

"to a large bush where you will find the cache next to a pole." should be... "to a green utility box where you will find the cache underneath.

Temporary container placed at the location for Chop-ter and noted on the cache page.

9 hours ago, Princess Trouble said:

Has the final route been posted somewhere?  I can't find it.  

1 hour ago, AndrewRJ said:

I feel the fool.  I haven't been able to find a final route to print out either.

All I have seen is TT's Bookmark list for the first draft and his number file.

10 hours ago, twlare said:

There's also a first draft cachetur https://cachetur.no/tur/698

10 hours ago, LandRover said:

All I have seen is TT's Bookmark list for the first draft and his number file.

Super frustrating that 2 days before there doesn't seem to be a file other than what another cacher put together and no actual route, just a list of caches.  I have nothing but praise for Brad putting on an event. I really am going to enjoy myself! but it would be good to get something out there so we can plan a bit better.

I know that a number of the local cachers in the area have been checking on caches and making sure they are accessible and that there is adequate parking, etc.  I don't know what changes to the route that will/should make.

I know that @SeabeckTribe is also hosting a mid-route event which is not on the list yet since it was published after the initial list came out in early December.  It should slot in after the virtual cache (GC9P5WJ) The Kitsap 9/11 Memorial Project.

• Helpful 2

I'm thinking there does not need to be a final draft since all the chatter here about caches with problems says they are all fixed.  Thank you DGB and Seabeck Tribe as local CM Ambassadors and anyone else who is helping out.

My prep for the CM day:

1.  Printed out the TT's bookmark with the cache route numbers and made notes on it for where the Adventure Lab stops are and other helpful notes like the solution to the puzzle cache, parking notes and such.

2.  Ran the TT's GSAK macro to add the route number to the cache name field and will download that into the Garmin Drive Smart and 64s.

3.  Exported the CM database from GSAK to Garmin BaseCamp and printed 14 zoomed-in pages so I can see the local streets.  I suspect very few people use BaseCamp but there must be other options if people want a map.

4.  Made a bookmark called BCM Adds for the lunch stop, pre-dinner and a few other caches and will add that to the gpsr's.

(Sooooo...   I am hoping there are no changes to the route numbers.)

• Helpful 1

It would be nice to have a final... concerns I have is a number of caches are on or near electrical boxes will these left on the route or not. Geocaching has asked for caches around electrical to be temp disabled because of the recent sabotage. Yes they are most concerned about transfer stations BUT I did a electrical box once the night before the CM came through and next morning NO one found it, on the way back to the hotel after dinner I found the box was, well shredded, I assume by searchers.

Travis has been late getting a final out but he was always good about posting what we have is what about earlier drafts, so travelers on Friday coming for the event were aware... alas a few have asked about a final and it's been crickets. Some of us will be unable to attend the Friday event to get any new info and have to rely on what is posted to have the most updated info. I get this is a major undertaking and so happy someone took it on but communications is important when so many might be traveling from afar to undertake this event.

16 hours ago, crs98 said:

I know that a number of the local cachers in the area have been checking on caches and making sure they are accessible and that there is adequate parking, etc.  I don't know what changes to the route that will/should make.

I know that @SeabeckTribe is also hosting a mid-route event which is not on the list yet since it was published after the initial list came out in early December.  It should slot in after the virtual cache (GC9P5WJ) The Kitsap 9/11 Memorial Project.

Yes several of us have reached out to many of the CO's.  I know that Sleckr is going to do run on Friday to check his.  I believe that is one cache getting dropped off but another added in its place. The CO will provide a TOTT for access the container. 

Yes my event https://coord.info/GCA376H is at the Evergreen park  where the Kitsap 911 Memorial is at.  There will be bathrooms also near by. 

Edited by SeabeckTribe
10 hours ago, SirKarp said:

It would be nice to have a final... concerns I have is a number of caches are on or near electrical boxes will these left on the route or not. Geocaching has asked for caches around electrical to be temp disabled because of the recent sabotage. Yes they are most concerned about transfer stations BUT I did a electrical box once the night before the CM came through and next morning NO one found it, on the way back to the hotel after dinner I found the box was, well shredded, I assume by searchers.

Travis has been late getting a final out but he was always good about posting what we have is what about earlier drafts, so travelers on Friday coming for the event were aware... alas a few have asked about a final and it's been crickets. Some of us will be unable to attend the Friday event to get any new info and have to rely on what is posted to have the most updated info. I get this is a major undertaking and so happy someone took it on but communications is important when so many might be traveling from afar to undertake this event.

I had a little bit of chat with Brad late this evening. I am aware that he may be making  dropping then adding cache. It is actually Quadsinthemudd, Brad, has been making this route. 

I will make sure that any changes will be posted on here as soon as they are released. 

Edited by SeabeckTribe
19 minutes ago, SirKarp said:

on our way to silverdale did  a little of the route, 

GC8ae66 Thunderbird and Chop-ter the parking lots were closed the furthest lot at for the beans was open.

GC8gvqe Happy Happy Harry was a DNF for us and GZ was pretty trashy. 

I have messaged the CO to see if he will check on it before tomorrow on Happy, Happy, Happy.