"Event within an event"-Guideline

Rag_De

Has anything recently changed in the event publishing guidelines with respect to the "Event-within-an-event"-rule?

I am asking, as it seems to be very common to have events on Christmas markets.

According to the event guidelines, such Geocaching-Events cannot be published. But I see such events all over the place.

Any idea if the rule is no longer valid?

https://www.geocaching.com/play/guidelines#eventrequirements 

Thanks

Rag_De

• Upvote 2

That's an interesting point. I've attended and enjoyed at least one Christmas market event without giving a thought as to that particular guideline provision.

The language you're referring to is:

• Cannot be added to an existing non-geocaching event, such as meet-ups at concerts, fairs, sporting events, and scouting events

Most of those listed examples (concert, Scouting event, sporting event) are more limited in time than a Christmas market. But I suppose that a fair would be pretty close.

Perhaps a Lackey (or European reviewer) would be kind enough to give some insight.

• Helpful 1

The general rule is unchanged, but in some regions the Reviewer teams have made a special exception for Christmas market events.  This exception has Geocaching HQ's blessing, provided that some basic principles of the general rule are followed:

• The geocaching event has to be at a fixed location;
  • The event must have a defined duration of at least 30 minutes;
  • An entry fee cannot be required; and
  • The cache description cannot read like an advertisement for the commercial aspects of the Christmas market.;
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

For years now you've been trying to add a Geocaching Event to the same local culture event "Heiliwog" that takes place every year around midnight when the church bells ring from December 24 to December 25. It's not the regular Christmas market event you're trying to sell it as.

This isn't new and also not a recent change in the guidelines. You've been told that repeatedly by different local reviewers and HQ.

Yet, here we are again with you acting surprised in the forums.

This thread should be closed because of that.

Edited by Bl4ckH4wkGER
  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 4
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 2