Quad Map Challenges?

JL_HSTRE

Have there been any challenge caches based on USGS quadrangle series (quad maps)?

Delorme maps were used in early geocaching challenges because the atlases were relatively easy to purchase. 

However, quad maps are now freely available through a USGS online database. They also have the advantage that of being produced by the federal government, not a business, which avoids any commercial issues.

Also, some Delorme editions changed how the state grid is laid out and thus qualification depends on the edition. Quadrangle don't change what areas each quad/page covers.

34 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Have there been any challenge caches based on USGS quadrangle series (quad maps)?

Before we left California, I was working on the Bay Area Quadrangle Challenge.

Unfortunately, it (and any other quadrangle challenges) are grandfathered. The current guidelines prohibit "Challenges based on geographic areas other than countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent). Examples: user-defined mapping polygons, latitude/longitude, radius, etc."

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
On 11/21/2022 at 7:23 AM, JL_HSTRE said:

Delorme maps were used in early geocaching challenges because the atlases were relatively easy to purchase. 

I love DeLorme challenges. It's unfortunate that they are no longer allowed.

I never bothered buying the Virginia DeLorme atlas for my first challenge, because multiple copies were available in my local library. But I've bought others.

For the past few, I have just used the challenge macro on GSAK that opens up Google Earth with a grid. It got me through both the New Jersey and West Virginia DeLorme challenges.

(Though since I am moving to Texas, I may well invest in the Texas DeLorme. I imagine it'll probably be handy to have an offline atlas in the car for those areas where cell coverage is lacking.)

• Upvote 3
10 hours ago, hzoi said:

I never bothered buying the Virginia DeLorme atlas for my first challenge, because multiple copies were available in my local library. But I've bought others.

For the past few, I have just used the challenge macro on GSAK that opens up Google Earth with a grid. It got me through both the New Jersey and West Virginia DeLorme challenges.

(Though since I am moving to Texas, I may well invest in the Texas DeLorme. I imagine it'll probably be handy to have an offline atlas in the car for those areas where cell coverage is lacking.)

I'll second the wish for more old style challenges. Though I'm far rom qualifying for my states DeLorme challenge but will continue to slowly work on it.

From the various maps our cellular providers show coverage, there are in fact a lot of dead spots out there and I truely wish the offline maps of the app could be improved so getting into and out of some remote areas these guides are invaluable. Since these spots are my happy place I have two different guides in my car at all times.

Hope you enjoy your new caching territory! 

11 hours ago, hzoi said:

Yeah, I think quad challenges and DeLorme challenges make a lot more sense (being based on the qualifying caches' locations) than some of the allowed challenges that are based on trivia like publication dates, difficulty/terrain ratings, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
22 hours ago, niraD said:

Yeah, I think quad challenges and DeLorme challenges make a lot more sense (being based on the qualifying caches' locations) than some of the allowed challenges that are based on trivia like publication dates, difficulty/terrain ratings, etc.

We have lost the connection to latitude & longitude

• Love 2