Find nearby caches that I haven't found.... Not working correctly

tomturtle
Followers 5

This evening I have clicked on the link from several cache pages  that says "Find nearby caches that I haven't found.... and I have been getting strange results.  It does not in fact show me the closest caches that I haven't found, but shows some that are 5 or 10 miles away.  I use this link all the time, so this would appear to be a recent problem.  Please investigate and correct the problem.

• Helpful 1

Additional info:  In some cases, it appears to be defaulting to my home location as a starting point and not showing me the caches that are near the cache I am clicking the link off of.  If I choose a cache that is much farther from home, it shows caches in that area, but the mileage of how far away it is appears to be using my home coordinates.  This is not how it has worked in the past and is not very useful, since I want to see the caches that are closest to the cache that I clicked the link off of.

• Helpful 1
1 minute ago, tomturtle said:

Additional info:  In some cases, it appears to be defaulting to my home location as a starting point and not showing me the caches that are near the cache I am clicking the link off of.  If I choose a cache that is much farther from home, it shows caches in that area, but the mileage of how far away it is appears to be using my home coordinates.  This is not how it has worked in the past and is not very useful, since I want to see the caches that are closest to the cache that I clicked the link off of.

Yes, I'm seeing something similar using those links from cache pages. It seems to be returning caches within 16km of the specified cache but now sorts them by distance from my home location.

• Helpful 2

I use the “nearest cache to” feature all the time when I’m caching, I like to pick a spot or special cache and then put the 10 or 20 closest caches on a list to find. I also use it to keep track of the nearest caches to my cache centroid. This really risks upsetting my entire caching mojo, I hope it gets fixed soon! The best workaround I’ve found is to reset my home location every time I do a “nearest cache” search which is pretty time-consuming. 

• Funny 2
  • Helpful 2

Is anyone else encountering issues the last couple of days with searches on the website?  I notice in particular when I search using specific coordinates in the home page search bar that the issue arises.  I also notice a problem when using the "find all nearby caches that I haven't found" button on all cache pages.  The results sometimes seem to return caches closest to my home coordinates, but sometimes it returns other random results that I can't even guess what it's doing.  I use these features quite regularly and am used to them returning all the closest caches to the coordinates I search or the closest caches to the cache whose page I've clicked the button on.  

As am example, if I hit the "find all nearby caches that I haven't found" button on GC90F0Z, the top result is GC2JJ9P, when the closest cache on the map is clearly GC90CVT.  

1 hour ago, m0bean said:

Is anyone else encountering issues the last couple of days with searches on the website?  I notice in particular when I search using specific coordinates in the home page search bar that the issue arises.  I also notice a problem when using the "find all nearby caches that I haven't found" button on all cache pages.  The results sometimes seem to return caches closest to my home coordinates, but sometimes it returns other random results that I can't even guess what it's doing.  I use these features quite regularly and am used to them returning all the closest caches to the coordinates I search or the closest caches to the cache whose page I've clicked the button on.  

As am example, if I hit the "find all nearby caches that I haven't found" button on GC90F0Z, the top result is GC2JJ9P, when the closest cache on the map is clearly GC90CVT.  

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/385889-find-nearby-caches-that-i-havent-found-not-working-correctly/

In der Suche nach Geocaches ist momentan ein Fehler drin. Bei einem Filter Location-Search bei beliebiger Position werden nur Geocaches angezeigt und Entfernungen, als würde ich von den Home-Koordinaten suchen. Beispiel-Link gekürzt: https://www.geocaching.com/play/results/?st=[hier die Koordinaten]

Wenn ich nach Caches aus einer anderen Region suche, erhalte ich das gleiche Ergebnis. Irgendwo gab es da bei einem Update ein Fehler.

Vergleich: Bei der alten Suche gemäß https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?[hier die Koordinaten]  wird alles noch richtig angezeigt.