Strange Visits

T0SHEA

I just received three consecutive visits from the same individual, they are as follows:

1st. test

2nd. Please login with valid credenitals (this was misspelled in the original visit, and not my typo)

Username 

Password

Login

I receive 100's of visits a month and NEVER received a request for this information

3rd. ghbfdyhdrf

Edited by T0SHEA
16 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

HA, I just posted the same thing. I thought my WM had been corrupted. So someone is doing a buffer overflow attack in the visit comment field, or something like that?

Same here. Not good! NOT GOOD at ALL!!!

EDIT:

This would, instead, appear to be a rare glitch. I just opened a goodly number of Waymarks at random, from randomly chosen categories, all without issue.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
13 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

We did some investigation and it turns out there is no need to be concerned. We have a group doing some penetration testing of our sites and one of them strayed outside of the designated test environment.

HA HA HA now that is the funniest thing I've heard all day. Bad pages due to pen testing gone wrong - can't wait to tell our cyber security prof about that tomorrow! I will keep an eye on my one (known) affected page and see when it gets fixed.

Edited by The Snowdog
On 11/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, The Snowdog said:

One of my waymarks, WM170C0, just published the other day, appears to be "corrupt" for lack of a better word. I can edit it, but when I try to view it I get.... well, see for yourself. Can an admin take a look and see what's up with that? 

THANKS

CorruptWaymark.png

Same thing happens when I try to review an edited waymark. The system will not allow me to view the waymark in question to approve/decline the review edits. So I am unable to clear it from my review queue. Hope this gets fixed soon.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, The Snowdog said:

appears to be "corrupt" for lack of a better word.

1 hour ago, bluesnote said:

Same thing happens when I try to review an edited waymark.

That is interesting, this is the same message I got on a visit to a bird watching location on 11/15/2022

White Lake Basin Biodiversity Ranch - Willowbrook, British Columbia

Also, when I tried to open "Bird Watching - Wynnwood Park Trails, The Colony, TX" to view, I got this same message:  

Please login with valid credenitals:

Username:

Password:

The visits were by, bugcrowd2022_36

7 hours ago, bluesnote said:

Same thing happens when I try to review an edited waymark. The system will not allow me to view the waymark in question to approve/decline the review edits. So I am unable to clear it from my review queue. Hope this gets fixed soon.

You have to edit your waymark and delete variables contents you did not fill.

When you visit a waymark, you can fill empty variables, so they add malicious code inside these empty variables.

If you fill all variables, it can not happened :grin:

On 11/18/2022 at 7:48 PM, T0SHEA said:

Also, when I tried to open "Bird Watching - Wynnwood Park Trails, The Colony, TX" to view, I got this same message:  

Username:

Password:

The visits were by, bugcrowd2022_36

Yep that "Bird Watching" WM is mine. It is still not fixed. 

20 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:

I have 3 Waymarks requiring approval of edits... I cant seem to access the Waymarks/site to approve the edits.

Bear and Ragged, I see  my waymark is on your list. White Lake Basin Biodiversity Ranch - Willowbrook, British Columbia

It looks fine, and I am able to edit. 

As I mentioned before, this is a bird watching location waymark that has the three visits by bugcrowd2022_36

I will try to delete the visits. 

Just wondering, why do you need to edit my waymark?

Edited by T0SHEA
2 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:

I dont need to edit the Waymark, it needs the edits to be approved by an officer... which I can't as the site wont let me!

Am I understanding you correctly, that someone had put an edit request? (for changes)

If this is correct, will you email me the edit request?

If this is not the case, can you explain it again.

1 hour ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Emailed.

Yes, thank you for the reminder. I recall now. I was not aware that if I edit an approved waymark, it requires additional approval. 

Oh, this is interesting. I have been editing approved waymarks for about three years now removing the photobucket images that are now busted and some spelling errors.

Do you suppose that every edit requires additional approval? This is the first time I have heard of this, no one has ever contacted me about the edits. I have done thousands already.

As an added note, perhaps it is more to do with the bugcrowd2022_36 visits in the bird watching location, and also I did notice that there was a visit in off leash dog parks also by bugcrowd2022_36. It seem too coincidental that all problems are a result of these visits, in the same bird watching locations category.

Edited by T0SHEA
4 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Yes, thank you for the reminder. I recall now. I was not aware that if I edit an approved waymark, it requires additional approval. 

Oh, this is interesting. I have been editing approved waymarks for about three years now removing the photobucket images that are now busted. and some spelling errors.

Do you suppose that every edit requires additional approval? This is the first time I have heard of this, no one has every contacted me about the edits. I have done thousands already.

As an officer I take a quick look and usually accept the edits.

I wonder if there is a % thing, that a small edit (spelling on a word or two) goes through without need to approve, but a higher % edit requires additional acceptance/approval?

Wonder if there is a % what it is?!

Strange - I didn't do any edits on the waymark mentioned above. Perhaps the pentesting issue again? Don't know if the user doing the edits has more rights than the usual officer, but on the categories I'm officer in I also can't see the decline message when wayfrog declined a waymark - perhaps the same happens here for the edited waymarks.

BTW: I'm sure there was an edit, since the parking coordinates changed automagically from east to west without the need of an approval - which they usually do, when you edit a waymark in the north-eastern hemisphere ...

When I log in to Waymarking I see the yellow marker as if there are some waymarks waiting to be reviewed. But I can't see them....It wasn't until I got a new waymark and finished reviewing it I was allowed to see a list of old waymark waiting to be publihed. Probably some resubmitted waymarks. the problem is I can't get access to them. When I click the link I don't get access to anything else than a very strange website. Picture 2 Have never ever experienced thar before. see pics. What to do?

Skærmbillede 2022-11-22 10.41.12.png

Skærmbillede 2022-11-22 10.41.21.png

9 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

Do you suppose that every edit requires additional approval?

This is definitely not the case. I opened two of my older WMs (one in one of my categories, one in a different category), that already have some visits, and made several changes to them. And I didn't receive any approval notes and saw the changes in another browser window (without being logged on) instantly. I assume, that if user X suggests an edit of a WM of user Y, one of the officers has to approve such an edit request.

Maybe every edit request for another WMer's WM has to be approved by an officer, but if one WMer edits his/her own WM, only "larger" edits need an approval. I just wonder, what a "larger" edit might be. It's definitely not the change of the coordinates, because I have corrected the East-West-Bug many times and never had to wait for an approval. It's also not changing the title as I have corrected some typos there also without delay. And I have also added a local translation to some of my approved WMs lateron, so a change of the long description is also not starting an approval process.

And of course, if an officer decides to edit a WM in his/her category, there is also no approval process neccessary.

On 11/20/2022 at 1:15 AM, Alfouine said:

You have to edit your waymark and delete variable content with malicious code

AHA I have looked right past that. For those who are as dense as me - in my case it was in the "nearby geocaches" box. Just delete all of that and your WM will be good again.

Edited by The Snowdog

bugcrowd2022_36
Category Name    Waymarks Visited
Birdwatching Locations    4
Histoires de France (French historical markers)    1
Vortexes, Mystery Spots, and Gravity Hills    1
Off-Leash Dog Areas    1
Washington Historical Markers    1

Vortexes, Mystery Spots, and Gravity Hills is my waymark and when I try to view it, I get this message: 

Username:

Password:

However, I am able to edit it.

I have tried to delete the visits, I am unable to remove them.

bugcrowd2022_36 Visits

33 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Histoires de France (French historical markers)    1

I was on my attacked waymark, I managed to remove the visit of "bugcrowd2022_36", then I edited my waymark and I deleted in the unfilled variables the texts he had added. Now my waymark is clean. Merci Barb

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, pmaupin said:

I managed to remove the visit of "bugcrowd2022_36"

I am still unable to remove the visit, for some reason two are now gone. The third seems blocked or something...

Can someone help me to remove this visit. Instructions.

I did check and there does not seem to be any corrupt text. The vortex one I did find the text, and removed it.

Edited by T0SHEA
10 minutes ago, pmaupin said:

Maybe Keith could make it happen

Not necessary, just checked and it is now gone. As far as I know, I did nothing for this to happen.

Regardless,  I'm happy. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all that responded to this topic. Hopefully the remaining waymarks will get resolved.

Edited by T0SHEA
2 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

Not necessary, just checked and it is now gone. As far as I know, I did nothing for this to happen.

Regardless,  I'm happy. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all that responded to this topic. Hopefully the remaining waymarks will get resolved.

As an officer I edited the page to remove the visits. :)

Still have the page sitting to have the edits approved though. :(

• Upvote 1
On 11/19/2022 at 11:51 AM, ScroogieII said:

And This One, which I reported Thursday evening, is STILL BUSTED!!!

Are you guys EVER going to clean up your mess?

Mebbe we need the Wayfroggie to remind them that they're NOT DONE yet!!

Keith

The one above is STILL BUSTED Today, as is this new one:

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/waymark_edit_review.aspx?f=1&guid=1b6f9e3a-93cb-421e-93d7-eb75b75337ae&gid=3

OOPS - 'S OK, I got it fixed, though the original information is now lost.

At present it appears that the "friendly" hackers could be a worse threat than any "UNfriendly" hackers.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII