Reset Travel Bug

pictom

How do I easily delete ALL content for a travel bug that has been missing for years, but I want to reuse the tracking number?

I have been geocaching for years and early on, bought over ten tracking items. But they have disappearerd and not logged for a while, some for years.

So I am taking my oldest-last-logged trackable and using it again for another item. But I don't want the history of the original travel bug. I see I can delete every log, but that is a wee bit time consuming. Is there a "RESET" button to reset everything and allow me to start from scratch, including the map and logs? Or do I have to delete every log one-by-one?

Yes, I did a search for this subject, and no, I did not find my exact question. I found a question about how to delete one incorrect log.

THANKS in advance!

• Surprised 2
1 minute ago, pictom said:

I found a question about how to delete one incorrect log.

I'd suggest that it's fine to delete incorrect logs.  The rest should remain, because they aren't incorrect.

The mileage, the logs, they are all the memories and history of the item.  You can start again with the all the new info, but keep the old info in some form as well, in case the original TB turns up.

• Helpful 2
13 minutes ago, kunarion said:

The mileage, the logs, they are all the memories and history of the item. 

Those are all memories and history of an item, but not this item.

THIS is a NEW item, just starting out. I don't mind the logs but I sure don't want this new item to state it's traveled thousand of miles when it's new.

Luckily, I am not ready to send this new item out today. So I'll have time to think on this.

• Funny 2

THIS is a NEW item, just starting out. I don't mind the logs but I sure don't want this new item to state it's traveled thousand of miles when it's new.

Luckily, I am not ready to send this new item out today. So I'll have time to think on this.

If you want new "item" get a new tracking number.  The existing logs are all part of the existing tracking number, including the history and  memories of all the cachers who discovered or moved the original.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
7 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Please do not delete legitimate past logs.  If I moved your trackable, that log is part of my history as well.

Thank you, Good point, but there's got to be a way to use my own paid-for tracking number. I can archive a cache and the info still remains. I can even place a new cache where the archived one once laid. So how can I reuse my tracking number for something that was not logged in almost ten years?

6 hours ago, pictom said:

If it's new without any history, then what logs are you deleting?

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 2
Just now, pictom said:

Thank you, Good point, but there's got to be a way to use my own paid-for tracking number. I can archive a cache and the info still remains. I can even place a new cache where the archived one once laid. So how can I reuse my tracking number for something that was not logged in almost ten years?

You have to make a choice.  Either use the original tracking number and keep all the existing logs or get a new tracking number.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
7 minutes ago, pictom said:

That's one way to do it, make a new TB with a new tracking code, just as a new cache has a new cache  code.  You don't delete the old logs.

With a TB, it's a little better, because you can re-use the code, something like placing a new cache box when the box gets stolen.  The old logs remain, the cache continues on, even if it's all new.

I've revived most of my Missing TBs, but I have not placed those to travel because the original may turn up.  And I don't delete anything, because unless nobody logged it (in which case there aren't logs to delete), you cannot start over with a "new" one.  Any logs create a record, and deleting the logs doesn't delete that record.  It removes information.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 minute ago, fendmar said:

Why not just start a new trackable?

I'm recycling. Why pay for something new when I have a perfectly good one already? AND that is my plan, to start a new trackable, with a number I already paid for, that is no longer being used. Buying a new number is out of the question. Any ideas on how to "archive" this and keep the content, and still start a new trackable?

• Surprised 2

I'm recycling. Why pay for something new when I have a perfectly good one already? AND that is my plan, to start a new trackable, with a number I already paid for, that is no longer being used. Buying a new number is out of the question. Any ideas on how to "archive" this and keep the content, and still start a new trackable?

Just now, pictom said:

Good point. So you are saying just delete the logs one-by-one and send out this NEW ITEM, with the recycled tracking number. That's likely what I'll do.

PLEASE DON'T DELETE OLD LOGS!!  THOSE LOGS BELONG TO OTHER PEOPLE!!

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 4
2 minutes ago, ice13-333 said:

There is no button for this. You have to delete all one by one. Guidelines also allow you to do this.  

Thanks. I feared I'd have to delete them one-by-one.

I also figured if geocaching didn't want me to delete a log, they'd not give me the option to.

• Surprised 1
8 minutes ago, pictom said:

Good point. So you are saying just delete the logs one-by-one and send out this NEW ITEM, with the recycled tracking number. That's likely what I'll do.

I'm saying if there are logs, leave them in place and start the NEW ITEM from that date that you place it.

You can't delete the icon that cachers received upon logging it, nor the record that they logged it, nor the photos.  You can't actually even delete the logs, they are merely "archived".  The entire record just becomes swiss-cheesed and confusing.

And everyone will know that you delete their correct logs for your convenience.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 minute ago, kunarion said:

You can't delete the icon that cachers received upon logging it, nor the record that they logged it, nor the photos.  You can't actually even delete the logs, they are merely "archived".  The entire record just becomes swiss-cheesed and confusing.

That's exactly what I want, is to archive the content on the page for a fresh start.
Sounds like you're saying it really won't effect those who logged it. They still get their icon, and record, and photo. I don't even care if they are visible. What I really want to do is reset the map. Is there any way to reset the map without deleting logs?

• Funny 1

Thank You Everyone who has replied. As you can tell, I did not get the response I was expecting, and you have given me some things to consider.

I have sent an email to HQ to ask them how to go about doing this, and explaining my main goal was to reset the map. I avoided contacting them first as they tend to take too long to reply, but I'm in no hurry at this point.

Thanks again.

• Funny 1
25 minutes ago, pictom said:

Thanks. I feared I'd have to delete them one-by-one.

I also figured if geocaching didn't want me to delete a log, they'd not give me the option to.

There is also the option to delete Found logs on caches.  How would you like it if someone archived their cache and deleted your Found log?

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 3
25 minutes ago, pictom said:

That's exactly what I want, is to archive the content on the page for a fresh start.

The way to do that with a geocache is to archive the listing and then create a new listing with a new GC code.

The way to do that with a trackable is to mark the trackable missing and then register a new trackable with a new tracking code.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
10 minutes ago, niraD said:

The way to do that with a geocache is to archive the listing and then create a new listing with a new GC code.

The way to do that with a trackable is to mark the trackable missing and then register a new trackable with a new tracking code.

+1

If I placed my revived TB into a cache to travel, I would leave everyone's logs intact and "start" the map and mileage from that point.  If the original item turns up, the logs remain, so there was no "deleting previous logs", nor undeleting the logs later after the item reappears.  Anyway, if I'm placing a Trackable it's to Track that Tracking Code.  The map points are the track.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, pictom said:

Thank You Everyone who has replied. As you can tell, I did not get the response I was expecting, and you have given me some things to consider.

I have sent an email to HQ to ask them how to go about doing this, and explaining my main goal was to reset the map. I avoided contacting them first as they tend to take too long to reply, but I'm in no hurry at this point.

Thanks again.

Humorous response. you understand nobody wants you to do this, so no one will tell you how to do this, but then your conclusion isn't that you should listen to the fact that no one wants you to do this, but only that you have to ask someone other than the people that have explained to you why they will be personally harmed by you deleting their logs.

I don't mind your attitude about that, really, it just makes me laugh. My real reaction is "what a cheapskate" since you're going to all this trouble to avoid spending a couple bucks to get a fresh number.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2
5 hours ago, NanCycle said:

There is also the option to delete Found logs on caches.  How would you like it if someone archived their cache and deleted your Found log?

I looked through your Finds list from your grand tour around the country last year and saw that when you were in Colorado you didn't find any of my caches, so unfortunately, I can't delete any of your logs to see if you still think that deleting logs is a good idea.   

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2
On 11/12/2022 at 6:53 PM, ice13-333 said:

There is no button for this. You have to delete all one by one. Guidelines also allow you to do this.  

For info if someone would not be glad to have his log deleted here is the official statement from the guidelines for the allowance: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=112&pgid=482

It is also written about the difference between log deletion from caches and trackables - that´s not the same. 

Edited by ice13-333
  • Surprised 2
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, ice13-333 said:

For info if someone would not be glad to have his log deleted here is the official statement from the guidelines for the allowance: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=112&pgid=482

It is also written about the difference between log deletion from caches and trackables - that´s not the same. 

Just because Groundspeak refuses to reinstate any deleted trackable logs doesn't mean that it's a good idea for the owner of a trackable to glibly piss off fellow geocachers by deleting their logs for said trackable.

I can see such deletions turning into a battle of patience, as the trackable owner deletes the logs, the person who retrieved and dropped the trackable recreates the logs, the trackable owner deletes the logs, the person who retrieved and dropped the trackable recreates the logs, and the cycle continues until... one of them commits geocide? I have no idea what the end game would be for the trackable owner who is trying to erase everyone's history with the trackable.

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, niraD said:

Just because Groundspeak refuses to reinstate any deleted trackable logs doesn't mean that it's a good idea for the owner of a trackable to glibly piss off fellow geocachers by deleting their logs for said trackable.

I can see such deletions turning into a battle of patience, as the trackable owner deletes the logs, the person who retrieved and dropped the trackable recreates the logs, the trackable owner deletes the logs, the person who retrieved and dropped the trackable recreates the logs, and the cycle continues until... one of them commits geocide? I have no idea what the end game would be for the trackable owner who is trying to erase everyone's history with the trackable.

If it is a good or bad idea was not the question of the thread starter and only because nearly everyone tells him only not to do it, it is not forbitten. its only his own decision, what to do or not to do. 

• Surprised 2

Please don't delete old but valid logs.

12 hours ago, niraD said:

I can see such deletions turning into a battle of patience, as the trackable owner deletes the logs, the person who retrieved and dropped the trackable recreates the logs, the trackable owner deletes the logs, the person who retrieved and dropped the trackable recreates the logs, and the cycle continues

You are aware that even when you happen to have memorized the tracking code it's extremely cumbersome and a laborous task to recreate retrieved and dropped logs?

This unfortunately makes it much easier for the TB owner to win that battle.

Nevertheless, power to the few who would take up that task B)

• Helpful 1
On 11/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, pictom said:

Because your action affects everyone who has logged that trackable.

When you archive a geocache, you don't delete all the logs, they remain.

You can often get new trackables for only $3 on Shop Geocaching.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
8 hours ago, ice13-333 said:

If it is a good or bad idea was not the question of the thread starter and only because nearly everyone tells him only not to do it, it is not forbitten. its only his own decision, what to do or not to do. 

It's whether he wants to be an a**hole and hated by other cachers, or whether he wants to play nice.  Yes, it's his decision.   

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Hynz said:

You are aware that even when you happen to have memorized the tracking code it's extremely cumbersome and a laborous task to recreate retrieved and dropped logs?

Memorized? Some of us record the tracking codes of trackables we encounter in a personal log or journal of some sort.

And yes, recreating retrieved logs can be tedious: log a grab, log a drop to put trackable in cache you retrieved it from, delete both logs, log retrieve, log drop. After someone's done it a couple times, I'm sure optimizations would be developed.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, kunarion said:

And everyone will know that you delete their correct logs for your convenience

When you  delete a log, the cacher who logged it gets notified.  And some may respond quite negatively to that.  My son had a trackable decal on his vehicle.  When he moved it to a new vehicle, he deleted all the old logs to start a "fresh" map for the new vehicle, and got a ton of emails from unhappy (or worse) cachers who did not apprectiate their logs beng deleted.  It was only after that he realized he should have simply gotten a new decal for the new vehicle....

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
13 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

When you  delete a log, the cacher who logged it gets notified.  And some may respond quite negatively to that.  My son had a trackable decal on his vehicle.  When he moved it to a new vehicle, he deleted all the old logs to start a "fresh" map for the new vehicle, and got a ton of emails from unhappy (or worse) cachers who did not apprectiate their logs beng deleted.  It was only after that he realized he should have simply gotten a new decal for the new vehicle....

That's what I've done with my cars, pretty much retired the old tag and bought a new tag for the new car.  Not only did it "start over" without a lotta log manipulation, but it's kind of a hard to find coin icon (received upon making a log), as my old one was, a cool icon that maybe you didn't have.  So cachers like to log it.

I've considered bringing the previous car tag out of retirement just because that one also has an awesome icon.  But I'd "start" the miles and map from where it's at now, although I'd give it a different Trackable name and description.  Anyway that one is the same tag, it wasn't stolen.  All those TBs that were stolen and revived to myself, maybe I'll place some, one day.  But I won't delete those logs, either, they are the TB's history even though 90% of them are hollow "Took It To" logs with no story nor photo. :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1