Problem adding search result to list

ChriBli

I was trying to add my found caches to lists. Since there is more than 1,000 of them, it has to be more than one list. I painstakingly searched five times, using the "find date" filter to exclude the ones I had already listed. After each search, I clicked "add 1,000 to list" followed by "create a new list" and named the lists with the date of the first find in that list. The result was this, except I have since then added 200 caches to one of the lists.

1.jpg.5f43f5a7f034c96afd1228908c9f097a.jpg

So I got five empty lists. No caches added. Then I made another search, not involving own finds, resulting in over 1,000 caches. Tried to click "add 1,000 to list" again, and was presented with this:

2.jpg.332aef2baed2cfb2cf26f539435f7e53.jpg

Note that several of these lists are empty, still it is not allowed to add 1,000 caches to them. I clicked the check mark to select the caches on the first page of the search result only, clicked "add 100 to list", and then those were added to the selected list.

3.jpg.b64dc91b07f66424bdff55226f1ce74a.jpg

Finally, I made a search resulting in over 900 caches, and those I could add with one click to one of the empty lists. So in conclusion, it seems not possible to add the first 1,000 out of a search result of 1,000 or more caches even to an empty list. Of course making it even more excruciating to make lists out of a large search result, e.g. to be able to compile a list of your own find history.

34 minutes ago, HHL said:

Holy Moly, why that? You still got the MyFinds PQ with all your finds.

Well, I've almost never used PQs because I don't really understand their purpose. In any event, there is some waiting involved, right? I wanted my list immediately.

But this is beside the point. The point is that adding 1,000 to a list does not seem to work, which makes it difficult to add the first 1,000 of a larger search result to a list.

3 hours ago, ChriBli said:

In any event, there is some waiting involved, right?

Sure, it might take 2 or 3 minutes to get a MyFinds query.

Curious, I added the MyFinds query to the queue at 6:25 am local. I downloaded it at 6:26 am, local.

For other queries, if I want them "right now" as opposed to waiting 1 - 3  minutes, I use, "run this query once then delete it"  this is nearly instantaneous.  Mostly, i use, Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs".  This saves the query parameters, and generates the info in 1-3 minutes.  

Edited to add that I see people complaining about the wait "for the email". Don't wait for an email,   download from the PQ page.  

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Helpful 3
1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Sure, it might take 2 or 3 minutes to get a MyFinds query.

Curious, I added the MyFinds query to the queue at 6:25 am local. I downloaded it at 6:26 am, local.

For other queries, if I want them "right now" as opposed to waiting 1 - 3  minutes, I use, "run this query once then delete it"  this is nearly instantaneous.  Mostly, i use, Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs".  This saves the query parameters, and generates the info in 1-3 minutes.  

Edited to add that I see people complaining about the wait "for the email". Don't wait for an email,   download from the PQ page.  

Yes, my experience with PQs is limited. The way I remembered it, you had to set up a day of the week or something, typically the next day and then wait for that to happen. So this is the way to get a gpx of a filtered search of caches now, is it? Even if you have already done the filtered search and have the result in front of you?

21 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

you had to set up a day of the week or something, typically the next day

You can set to a day of the week, but it doesn't have to be "the next day". 

https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

you could just go play with this.

Image below of the "when to run" module. If I wanted info soon, fast, now, I'd set my parameters, and either check Friday, because server time is indicated as Friday. Or run once and then delete. 

Neither of those is available for MyFinds. You just "add to queue" and it runs. Generally quickly.

There are some things you can do with PQs that you cannot do with search. I don't think I'll get into that now.

PQ day of week.jpg

• Helpful 2
3 hours ago, ChriBli said:

Yes, my experience with PQs is limited. The way I remembered it, you had to set up a day of the week or something, typically the next day and then wait for that to happen. So this is the way to get a gpx of a filtered search of caches now, is it? Even if you have already done the filtered search and have the result in front of you?

If you're working with the New Search, once you make it into a List, you may then download it as a GPX.  That option is in the three dots menu button to the very right of a List.

image.jpeg.2067c45fa79b3ef478b342273ab2e85d.jpeg

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, HHL said:

Yes, it's a bug that I also noted some weeks ago. Adding 999 to a BM list is still working. ;)

Actually, there's more to it than that.

If I do a general search for something, say multis within some distance from my home coords, and get a search result that is below 1,000 caches, I can add them to a list. If I widen the radius so that there are more than 1,000 results, I can not add the top 1,000 of them. That's one bug.

But if I list my own finds, going via dashboard - geocaches - have found, then I can not add the 1,000 latest nor can I add the whole search result even if I use the "found after" filter to limit the result to arbitrarily few caches. If I filter for caches I found during November I get nine caches. Still, if I click "add 9 to list" I can not add them. If I check the box to select them all (since the all fit on one page), then I can add them with the button that still says "add 9 to list". That seems to be another bug.

1 minute ago, kunarion said:

If you're working with the New Search, once you make it into a List, you may then download it as a GPX.  That option is in the three dots menu button to the very right of a List.

image.jpeg.2067c45fa79b3ef478b342273ab2e85d.jpeg

Yes, but my problem right now is how to add the search result to a list. I've learnt that there may be better ways to download your own finds, but there are clearly bugs in the adding search results to list part.

• Helpful 1