What is the best way to load and display geocaches (via list, or PQ) on a Garmin Drivesmart 65?

MassCache

When I first signed up for GSAK there was a macro titled "garmin-nuvi-exportgpx".  I've had several different auto type GPS since then all Garmin.  I'm currently using a Driversmart 55.  This macro works great with all of the auto type GPS I've had.

Load the caches you're interested in or a PQ into GSAK.  Run the macro.  Then load the file into your Driversmart using Garmin POI Loader.

This macro works great for paperless caching.  It will show all the same info that's on the cache page on geocaching.com.  It will also show the last 5-20 logs.

With all the info in the Driversmart I can see what caches are in my direction.  I then click on the cache and the "I" where I can then read all about the cache.  Then click on the go to and it will direct me to the cache by the route.  Once I get to the cache location I use a handheld on foot.  Altho you could use the Driversmart to hike it's just not as convenient.  

Unfortunately it does not appear that macro is still available.  

Masscache I've sent you a PM to your email listed on your profile.  More info in that.

• Upvote 1

I use Nuvi_GPX_V3.gsk to send caches and Lab caches to my driveSmart65.  The only issue is that I can't persuade the DriveSmart to appear as a drive, so I tell POILoader to send the gpi file to disk and then manually copy it to the DriveSmart.  Like others have said, I ise the DriveSmart to navigate to a parking spot near the cache then use my hand-held (E-Trex 32x) to get to the actual cache.

Thanks for these options.  I used to use a Nuvi 760 in my car and 60CSx to get to the last legs of the cache.  With the use of GSAK, a macro etc., I got great icons, descriptions and audible notifications on my Nuvi (and all but audible alerts on the CSX).  I received none of these on my Drivesmart - though I could see them listed when I scrolled down the screen to "custom"  screen and could go to them.  I never knew if I was driving by one  during normal driving.

Can these macros display display ~10k caches (plus child points, parking, trail heads, etc.)?  Still need 24x24 / 256 color RGB icons?  Use PQs?   Use POILoader or Garmin Express for transfer? 

I cant wait to try these out to work with my Drivesmart65  :-)

Thanks!

So, I got a couple of macros from Wadcutter ("garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk" written by from Pilotsnipes and I used many, many years ago and another "GarminPOI_gpx.gsk" written by Christian Caron (alias "cron") - thanks!

The first - displayed errors when starting that warned of -slow- running as a result.  That was no lie. It hadn't made it 50% through a 15k cache file in over 20 minutes!  I aborted that run.  Wadcutter also mentioned that there were intermittent issues loading more than only 100 caches (but he did offer a work-around). 

The second - ran and transferred but I didn't see caches displayed on the Drivesmart 65.  I'm not even sure they all transferred.  Without an icon on screen - this doesn't really work for me.  Ugh.

Which bring me back to a -variation- of my original question.. does anyone have a way to load a large list of PQs (GPX files downloaded from PQs and using GSAK to load and then run a macro; or generating a "List" and then the "Send to Garmin") on a Drive Assist 65 - or even an old-school Nuvi 765, 50LM, etc.?

Garmin (and Geocaching.com?) has done the community a disservice with their -poor- job of documenting which devices are supported, how each can be used and the method of transfer.  I wont even get into the icon sizes and color depth supported.  Its hard to believe that Garmin now expects people to use a hand held GPS to navigate from "point A" to "point B" (the geocache) while in a car when an automotive GPS sits on the dash basically unusable.  That, is simply a MASSIVE FAIL (it's is a great way to push people to geocache on their cell phones though)! 

Anyway - thanks to everyone that has answered.  The ability to show a geocache icon enroute to *anywhere* or while the GPS is just displaying the road I'm on (and surrounding area) is the BARE minimum of what I'm looking for.  An audible proximity notification, cache description, 5 recent-most logs, hints (etc. a la paperless geocaching) would be welcomed additions. 

18 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I use Nuvi_GPX_V3.gsk to send caches and Lab caches to my driveSmart65.  The only issue is that I can't persuade the DriveSmart to appear as a drive, so I tell POILoader to send the gpi file to disk and then manually copy it to the DriveSmart.  Like others have said, I ise the DriveSmart to navigate to a parking spot near the cache then use my hand-held (E-Trex 32x) to get to the actual cache.

Hiya Gill & Tony..

Does is show icons for geocaches on screen while driving - or do you have to select it first, then tap "Go" to start navigation to it??

12 minutes ago, MassCache said:

Hiya Gill & Tony..

Does is show icons for geocaches on screen while driving - or do you have to select it first, then tap "Go" to start navigation to it??

Yes.  Or to be more accurate, almost always.  I have noticed with the Drivesmart, as with my two previous Nuvi models, it sometimes fails to show icons when they are very densely clustered, as with a power trail.  Normally, though, no problems

9 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I don't believe there is a limit when sent as a .gpi file.  I may be wrong, but the limit will be huge.

Would you mind sending the Nuvi_GPX_V3.gsk macro to me via email?  It is no longer listed /available in GSAK Macro Library. My address is:  masscache@gmail.com 

Thank you - Steve

Sorry those 2 didn't work out.  I've never tried loading that many caches at the same time.  Several hundred at most.  That many ran slow.  I would imagine 15K would really be slow.

If you find a copy of Nuvi_GPX_V3.gsk would you please email me a copy too.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks much and good caching.

7 hours ago, MassCache said:

Would you mind sending the Nuvi_GPX_V3.gsk macro to me via email?  It is no longer listed /available in GSAK Macro Library. My address is:  masscache@gmail.com 

Thank you - Steve

5 hours ago, Wadcutter said:

Sorry those 2 didn't work out.  I've never tried loading that many caches at the same time.  Several hundred at most.  That many ran slow.  I would imagine 15K would really be slow.

If you find a copy of Nuvi_GPX_V3.gsk would you please email me a copy too.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks much and good caching.

Go to the macro index and enter  nuvi in the search box.  It is there, but with lower case v3.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, colleda said:

Slightly OT. How does one delete (from Nuvi) found or archived caches? I have many on my 10 year old Nuvi, which I haven't used for caching, but was under the impression they could only be deleted one at a time.

I just create a new POI file without those caches and overwrite the existing one.

I move found caches from the appropriate unfound database to my found database.  I automatically delete archived caches from the unfound databases when I Refresh them (using GetCachesByDatabaseName.gsk), so none of my unfound databases have any found or archived caches in them.  When I create a new POI file, the old stuff is overwritten.

Edited by Gill & Tony