Seven Years' War Sites

Not long ago, a new category was created for World War I Sites.  That got me thinking about another war, known in the U.S. as the “French and Indian War,” but also known as the “Seven Years' War,” and wondering if there would be support for a category of sites related to it.  The war took place on 5 continents in the mid-1700s.  

I know a fair amount about the portion of the war that took place in North America, but I know much less about the parts of the war that happened elsewhere.  Therefore, I think it would be very interesting to see Waymarks from Europe and the other locations where battles or other events related to the war occurred.    

I haven’t created a group or began writing a description yet, but I wanted to put the idea here in the forum to see if there is enough interest to start the process of creating a new category.  Also, I'm wondering if this category would be at all redundant with other existing categories.  

Your feedback is much appreciated!

Information on the Seven Years' War:  

https://www.history.com/topics/france/seven-years-war

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Years'_War

44 minutes ago, jonathanatpsu said:

World War I Sites.

From category:

Acceptable waymarks include, but not limited to:

- battlefields (exiting category)
- museums which contain WWI related artifacts (exiting category)
- training centers
- vehicles used for WWI military purposes (excludes civilian, unless it was used in battle or a direct and clear connection to WWI) (exiting category)
- graves of historic figures (generals, officers, presidents, royalty, unknowns, etc.) (exiting category)
- cemeteries (where 50% or more of the cemetery are WWI veterans (cemeteries)  (exiting category) this excludes veteran sections unless that section is a different cemetery)

The majority of these have existing categories and are cross posted.

Also Signs of History

The seven years war was unknown to me, it seems for a large part because my country, the Netherlands was neutral at the time.

Maybe it's better to make a category like 'war of 1812' or a memorial category like the boers wars memorials. I don't see a 'sites' category getting through peer review but a more defined category related to this war might.

Specific Wars Monuments and Memorials might have at least part of your proposal category covered.

Battlefields  might have much of the rest of your proposal covered, too.

That notwithstanding, continue, so that we might see what you propose. It certainly can't hurt (other than possibly your pride) but you may have an angle or an approach which may appeal to enough hereabouts to make this a possibility.

Keith

What prompted my thinking about this possible category is the fact that near where I live (in western Pennsylvania) there are a few sites of former French forts that were involved in the French and Indian War.  However, since the forts are long gone, they cannot be Waymarked in the Historic Forts category, which requires the forts to be still standing and/or restored.  Granted, these sites do have historical markers that can be Waymarked in the various historic marker and sign categories.  I just thought it would be nice to have these sites, along with battlefields, historic markers, etc. all grouped together in a category so that if someone is interested in this particular war, and visiting sites associated with it, they will be easy to find.  

I definitely also understand the concern many Waymarkers have with redundancy and the fact that creating redundant categories is a slippery slope, as T0SHEA pointed out above regarding the number of possible war site categories.  I personally like there being a lot of categories, and being able to cross-post Waymarks.  But, as we have seen from recent peer reviewed categories, it doesn't seem the majority of Waymarkers agree.  Therefore, I'm disinclined to continue with this proposal.  I do, however, appreciate the feedback that was shared.  

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

given the reception of the category currently in Peer Review.

If this is the new direction Waymarking is heading, I have several dormant  categories I can resurrect.

Spent some time reviewing them, and realized I have a folder of pictures that could be new categories as well.

Edited by T0SHEA