New Personal Best

Gill & Tony

No, at least 3 different owners. 

I was hunting caches which had not been found for 6 months or more.  Covid, and the recent rains, have helped increase the number of these.  There were 22 in the area.  I skipped a few, DNFed 9 and found 8, one last found in July last year.  I expected a high DNF count, but finding more would have been nice.

11 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

No, at least 3 different owners. 

I was hunting caches which had not been found for 6 months or more.  Covid, and the recent rains, have helped increase the number of these.  There were 22 in the area.  I skipped a few, DNFed 9 and found 8, one last found in July last year.  I expected a high DNF count, but finding more would have been nice.

Were the ones you found water  affected?

45 minutes ago, colleda said:

Were the ones you found water  affected?

Yes.  All of the NM logs will refer to wet and unusable logs.   In a couple of cases a previous finder has put a replacement log in a baggie but didn't log NM.   A couple of finds had dry logs in a wet container and I dried them as well as I could.

I suspect that a couple of the DNFs were due to the container being washed away because the hint was very specific.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Yes.  All of the NM logs will refer to wet and unusable logs.   In a couple of cases a previous finder has put a replacement log in a baggie but didn't log NM.   A couple of finds had dry logs in a wet container and I dried them as well as I could.

I suspect that a couple of the DNFs were due to the container being washed away because the hint was very specific.

If it's the caches I am thinking of, many didn't start out as great containers. Cheap and plenty, rather than quality. Power trails of them. And yes, some can be tricky to find. The size rating is often incorrect too, so that's no assistance.

Edited by Goldenwattle
14 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

If it's the caches I am thinking of, many didn't start out as great containers. Cheap and plenty, rather than quality. Power trails of them. And yes, some can be tricky to find. The size rating is often incorrect too, so that's no assistance.

They are the ones you are thinking of.  Last time I posted a bunch of NM logs for the same reasons the CO fixed them up and enclosed each container in a zip-lock bag, which was a nice touch.

I think of a power trail as being all the same container all hidden in the same way.  These are a sort of pseudo power trail.  High cache density, a few varieties of container and different hiding techniques.

An even better pseudo power trail is the SST, South of Narooma.  I've found 95 of them and the containers and hiding places are mostly themed to the cache name.

1 hour ago, Gill & Tony said:

An even better pseudo power trail is the SST, South of Narooma.  I've found 95 of them and the containers and hiding places are mostly themed to the cache name.

I have found a number of them. Best power trail I have come upon, with so much imagination and thought gone into it, giving a variety of hides and containers. Shame now there as so few left, that it now no longer qualifies for a power trail. It was in one of them that I found my best trackable. A friend from Austria had send a TB out into the world to travel to me. After making it to Singapore, the TB went back to Europe, but then made it back to Australia, and by pure chance, against huge odds, as I rarely visit the south coast, I found it in one of the SST caches, 'addressed to me' :o  :D :antenna:. The odds were even lower that I would find it, as by then I had found many of them on my previous trip to the coast, two or three years before, but it was in one of those I hadn't found before.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have found a number of them. Best power trail I have come upon, with so much imagination and thought gone into it, giving a variety of hides and containers. Shame now there as so few left, that it now no longer qualifies for a power trail.

There are a couple of power trails north of here which I've heard good reports about, although I haven't done any of them yet. One is the Dog's Head trail north of Maitland, mostly traditionals along a rural loop road that forms the shape of a dog's head, with each cache being a different breed of dog. Unfortunately the consecutive la Ninas have taken their toll on that, with parts of the road in poor condition (last I heard, one section was closed) and some of the caches have been flood-damaged although the owner is pretty conscientious with maintenance. The other is the Mid North Coast Wander in the Lansdowne State Forest and adjoining areas, put out and maintained by the caching group up there.

6 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

There are a couple of power trails north of here which I've heard good reports about, although I haven't done any of them yet. One is the Dog's Head trail north of Maitland, mostly traditionals along a rural loop road that forms the shape of a dog's head, with each cache being a different breed of dog. Unfortunately the consecutive la Ninas have taken their toll on that, with parts of the road in poor condition (last I heard, one section was closed) and some of the caches have been flood-damaged although the owner is pretty conscientious with maintenance. The other is the Mid North Coast Wander in the Lansdowne State Forest and adjoining areas, put out and maintained by the caching group up there.

Both great trails - I tend to call these 'Touring Trails' rather than power trails - as they do take you on a great tour, and aren't closely spaced, that way the driver gets a little enjoyment, rather than just spend a day looking for places to pull off the trail (reasonably) safely.... these two trails are both well maintained by responsible cachers, something power trails tend to not be (a lot of the time).....

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 10/30/2022 at 5:48 AM, Gill & Tony said:

I was hunting caches which had not been found for 6 months or more.

Earlier this month, I was caching through West Virginia and thought I'd try my hand at resurrecting caches that had not been found since 2015 or so.

(It did not go well.)

• Funny 1