Increase the number of characters allowed in the ALC description

yxza

I think the number of allowed characters in the ALC description should be increased from 1024 to at least 2048. Hopefully the ALC is placed at an interesting location and the introductory text will often require a lengthy description of history, current and future states. 1024 characters forces you to shorten the text considerably thus having to leave out many important and interesting details.

• Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, fizzymagic said:

People do not generally want to read a novel at each location.   If you cannot get the information into 1K, make a web page and link to it.

This is the novel I wrote for my first AL, "Wreck of the Maitland", which is only about 25 characters (5 or 6 words) short of the limit.

image.png.cc9cac956a79e47c36a80d850d4077ff.png

I struck a problem a couple of years ago when the direct track between locations 4 and 5 was closed for several months. To include that, I had to delete something else in the text and decided to trim back the second paragraph, particularly the bit about it being a T4 if it was a regular cache. I promptly got a complaint from someone about the unexpectedly difficult terrain. So, how much of this text should be trimmed away without compromising the experience of the AL?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

People do not generally want to read a novel at each location.   If you cannot get the information into 1K, make a web page and link to it.

In non-English speaking countries, AL owners in touristic locations sometimes want to make their AL bilingual - local and English. Then the 1K limit is really a problem.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

If you cannot get the information into 1K, make a web page and link to it.

I think it is not possible to insert a link in the AL description.

The FAQ says:

" 5. Can I use HTML or other formatting to create my Adventure in the web builder? 

Not at this time. The Adventure Lab web builder does not support special formatting."

• Upvote 2