Adoption of a multi cache idea

Jayeffel

I have a multi cache in a community park and was contacted by the secretary of the park, who just happens to be a cacher. She looked for the cache and could not locate either stage. But she then contacted me about "replacing my cache with a new series in this park, they have a them chosen, And they would like me to join in planning an event in the spring , which would be a Geocaching Merit Badge day. I just happen to have the BSA Merit Badge handbook near me now. Have had it a while. 

A few questions; I know how the adoption of a cache procedure works. If I were to offer it for adoption and she adopted it, it is hers to change, edit,  rearrange or whatever right? As long as she stays within the geocache 528 foot limits. I think she wants to have a series of caches within the park so they would have to be other than traditional to fit in. I guess a several stage multi adding to mine would suffice. Want to be sure we are on the right track.  Is there a limit on number of stages in a multi? I guess in an area of say of one acre there would be saturation number, I am trying to find out from her if they plan on temporary or permanent caches for that weekend, or simple add to what I have then archive some once that particular event is over. From being there I can imagine may thee more where it is safe.

Edited by Jayeffel
17 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

I have a multi cache in a community park and was contacted by the secretary of the park, who just happens to be a cacher.She looked for the cache and could nit locate either stage. But she when contacted me about "replacing my cache with a new series in this park, They have a them chosen, And they would like me to join in planning an event in the spring , which would be a Geocaching Merit Badge day. I just happen to have the BSA Merit Badge handbook near me now. Have had it a while. 

A few questions; I know how the adoption of a cache procedure works. If I were to offer it for adoption and she adopted it, it is hers to change, edit,  rearrange or whatever right?

Yes. Although the original cache is part of the history of anyone who has found it, so if the new cache is going to be completely different, then I think it's better to create a new listing and archive the original listing. That way, the history of those who found the original cache is preserved.

As long as she stays within the geocache 528 foot limits. I think she wants to have a series of caches within the park so they would have to be other than traditional to fit in. I guess a several stage multi adding to mine would suffice. Want to be sure we are on the right track.

It sounds like the goal is to fit "a series" of caches within a small park, a park that isn't really big enough for multiple caches.

Whether or not the caches are traditional doesn't really change anything. The final containers of the various caches still need to be 528ft (161m) apart. The same applies to any non-final stages that are physical (i.e., the CO leaves something at the location).

You can have any number of virtual first stages of multi-caches in the park, because virtual stages don't count towards the saturation guidelines. But the physical final stages of those multi-caches would have to be outside the park. Would that really meet their goals?

Is there a limit on number of stages in a multi? I guess in an area of say of one acre there would be saturation number, I am trying to find out from her if they plan on temporary or permanent caches for that weekend, or simple add to what I have then archive some once that particular event is over. From being there I can imagine may thee more where it is safe.

There is no limit on the number of stages in a multi-cache. I've found one with 15 virtual stages and 1 physical (final) stage. I know of one that had 45 physical stages within a fairly small area, that was later replaced with an updated version with 54 physical stages. I was hoping to use that as a milestone find, until we moved across the country from it.

But the only limit is the number of physical stages you can maintain, and the number of physical (or virtual) stages the seekers are willing to bother with.

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, niraD said:

You can have any number of virtual first stages of multi-caches in the park, because virtual stages don't count towards the saturation guidelines. But the physical final stages of those multi-caches would have to be outside the park. Would that really meet their goals?

I think virtuals are what they are considering, but not sure. I think one final cache with a log is to be  in the park, the others also in the park. I only had that brief contact so far. Thanks for pointing out things.

37 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

I think virtuals are what they are considering, but not sure. I think one final cache with a log is to be  in the park, the others also in the park. I only had that brief contact so far. Thanks for pointing out things.

Well, virtual caches are grandfathered, except for very limited releases to experienced COs, and even then, it has been only one virtual cache opportunity allowed per CO.

Earthcaches are allowed, assuming there is something geologically interesting in the park, and that they want the cache to teach some sort of geological lesson.

Wherigo caches still require a final, and the saturation guidelines apply to the final.

Adventure Lab caches don't require a final, although it seems to be customary to include some sort of bonus cache, which is a physical cache that is affected by the saturation guidelines. I've been pretty much ignoring Lab caches, so I can't really say more.

• Funny 1

Maybe it's just me, but you said she was talking about, "replacing my cache with a new series in this park, they have a theme chosen...".

Assuming you got permission, tt sounds (to me) like she had plans, couldn't find your stages to see if it fits, and now simply wants to get your cache outta the way...

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

A few questions; I know how the adoption of a cache procedure works. If I were to offer it for adoption and she adopted it, it is hers to change, edit,  rearrange or whatever right?

Yes, but why not archive yours and have her create a new one? With all those changes it will be unrecognizable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe it's just me, but you said she was talking about, "replacing my cache with a new series in this park, they have a theme chosen...".

Assuming you got permission, tt sounds (to me) like she had plans, couldn't find your stages to see if it fits, and now simply wants to get your cache outta the way...

May very well be, 

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes, but why not archive yours and have her create a new one? With all those changes it will be unrecognizable. 

If what she wants to do even gets going that is probably the best solution.