Please provide the ability to display found caches at the corrected co-ordinates on the map.

MartyBartfast

Yes, after my recent run-in with this that saw months of cache preparation go down the gurgler, I'll give it as many up-votes as I can. This is supposed to be the Year of the Hide and there's been much talk about the contribution COs make to the game, but this is something that would actually be really helpful to cache owners. The Help Centre says "Solve nearby geocaches, including Mystery and Multi-Caches, to discover hidden stages" but that's of no help once you've found those solved mysteries and multis because all you see on any of the site's maps is a smiley face at the posted coordinates.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
On 10/23/2022 at 8:27 AM, MartyBartfast said:

If that's not possible/desireable then give us a toggle whereby we can choose where caches with corrected co-ords should be displayed.

Cachly does this, and i resort to re-searching in the app to see cache locations that are otherwise in a geoart in the posted locations on the website. 

I'd wager that the only (reasonale) reason this hasn't been done is due to the way in which they display pins on the map, and for whatever reason, switching the pin locations on an granular level is not cut and dry. That's similar to nature of the dots/pins on the browse map where (iirc) the cache layer is an actual layer that's overlaid rather than granular placement of pins. The visual generation of the pins isn't done on a pin by pin basis. But that's the browse map. The Search map must be granular. So, no idea why the option hasn't been implemented... But I'd think/hope there'd be a good reason other than 'meh' :P

• Upvote 1

Fortunately there is at least one phone geo app (which I will not name as Groundspeak hates it) that does show all of your caches at their "corrected" coordinates, and that's what I use when I'm scouting out a dense area for yet another cache. It will even put range rings around them, which makes it pretty easy.

The suggestion of a checkbox on the cache page (Show at corrected coordinates after found, with default unchecked to mimic current behavior) is a good one and this would be fairly easy to add; the page already pulls all sorts of stuff out of your profile and one more variable wouldn't hurt. And that way puzzles and such could show up where they actually are (just check the box), and geo-art would would appear as the artist intended.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

Fortunately there is at least one phone geo app (which I will not name as Groundspeak hates it) that does show all of your caches at their "corrected" coordinates, and that's what I use when I'm scouting out a dense area for yet another cache. It will even put range rings around them, which makes it pretty easy.

For the sake of completeness...  There are quality authorized apps (on Android and I suspect also iOs) that will do this too.  No need to go rogue.

Even a simplified introductory app could do it, should they decide they want to.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

As the OP let me provide a prime example of where the current situation completely fails cache hiders (and Groundspeak, remember that without us you don't have a business!).

On the map below all the smilies on the left are within the area bounded by red. If I wanted to hide a cache in that area there is NO WAY for me to see conveniently where the vacant spaces are, the hider proximity map won't show them because they're puzzles, and the current maps won't show them at the solved location, the only way would be for me to manually plot every individual cache on another tool.

Before anyone comes to say it, I know that area is pretty much saturated in this case and I wouldn't want to place a cache here but I'm using it to illustrate the point.

image.thumb.png.5fe6be1a8e1ecec00a3ad3536b77e576.png

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MartyBartfast said:

Before anyone comes to say it, I know that area is pretty much saturated in this case and I wouldn't want to place a cache here but I'm using it to illustrate the point.

My illustration is at the opposite extreme in a spot I thought was devoid of other caches:

Map.jpg.1c46b9bd93fcabfc512c40acc9af5dca.jpg

I'd spent several months planning a multi themed around the hilltop called "Berry's Head". The smiley marked A is a mystery I'd solved and its final is well off to the right on the map, so no issues with that. What I didn't see was that smiley marked "B" sitting right over on the bottom left on the side of the Pacific Highway. Even if I had seen it, I'd have probably just dismissed it as a roadside traditional, but no, it's a puzzle cache that I'd solved and found in 2015 and, of course, its final is sitting right in the middle of where my multi was going to go.

In the end and several months later, I did find an alternative location for the multi that only required a minor rewrite of the script. It doesn't have the Headless Horseman's head being on Berry's Head, which was what originally inspired the idea, but the new location is a fair bit easier on the searchers and with fewer leeches to bother them. It's gotten 8 FPs from 9 finds so it's probably worked out for the best, but even so, a lot of anguish could have been avoided if the site had let me see where the mysteries I've solved and found over my decade in the game actually are, instead of displaying them as one-cache geoart off the edge of the map.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, lee737 said:

Bumping, *in case* GS notice this time.... :)

We hide caches - hiders need to know where other caches are, not the cute geoart picture..... a check-box in map settings would be very much appreciated, and very useful.... please.

Thanks. Would be great if an admin merged my new thread from yesterday where I got this helpful reply. 

I do not understand how the app-that-shall-not-be-named can do this no problem and the website itself cannot. If they want people placing new caches it is actually *necessary*! It can't be a difficult coding job, I do not get why GS isn't doing this.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:27 AM, MartyBartfast said:

If that's not possible/desireable then give us a toggle whereby we can choose where caches with corrected co-ords should be displayed.

That option exists already in filters, but they seem to be ignoring pleas to make it actually work!

On 12/3/2022 at 12:52 AM, The Snowdog said:

The suggestion of a checkbox on the cache page (Show at corrected coordinates after found, with default unchecked to mimic current behavior) is a good one and this would be fairly easy to add; the page already pulls all sorts of stuff out of your profile and one more variable wouldn't hurt. And that way puzzles and such could show up where they actually are (just check the box), and geo-art would would appear as the artist intended.

I completed finding a local 125 cache geoart recently and if I had to check a box on each page I might go crazy. All they need to do is make the feature that is ALREADY on the website actually work. If, in filters, you check off "solved coordinates only" and then map the list, that should do it. Simple. (Apparently not simple? Go figure.)

49 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

That option exists already in filters, but they seem to be ignoring pleas to make it actually work!

If you mean this:

image.png.7a421cd6f1743dcfa94f1be84f35a0b8.png

Then the function of that is about matching caches with or without corrected co-ordinates, it's not intended to affect the display of those on the map. It's a poorly worded filter.

• Helpful 2
2 hours ago, Dotty_Bird said:

This really should be something that has been part of the official app for a long time. 

The problem with unofficial apps doing these things better pulls users away from the original app. It's time GC took the time to make the official app better than the competition! 

Have they even got there? I'd say no.... Not only this issue, but I could dozens of other reasons too.

I can only list two things I prefer about the app over Cachly - the messaging centre, and map auto refresh.

11 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

Then the function of that is about matching caches with or without corrected co-ordinates, it's not intended to affect the display of those on the map. It's a poorly worded filter.

I do! Thanks for clarifying... makes little sense from a user perspective so yes, poorly worded!

9 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

The GClh is not an app and it is not a competitor for the website, it is an addition to the website.

I think that was a response to me and others mentioning other apps. (We should all use the quote feature!)... your thing seems cute & useful, but techie!

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Dotty_Bird said:

This really should be something that has been part of the official app for a long time. 

The problem with unofficial apps doing these things better pulls users away from the original app. It's time GC took the time to make the official app better than the competition! 

The API apps are not competition! They are partners in providing features that go beyond the official app (which is designed for beginners). HQ supports and encourages these partners. That's why they have a section on the website dedicated to API apps and even why they created the API to begin with. 

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
11 hours ago, CCFwasG said:
21 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

The GClh is not an app and it is not a competitor for the website, it is an addition to the website.

I think that was a response to me and others mentioning other apps. (We should all use the quote feature!)... your thing seems cute & useful, but techie!

It's not really techie. There is a link in my footnote to the GClh that will take you to a little bit of information on what it is all about. There is also a link to the installation tips. There you will get two links, one for a script manager and one for the GClh script. Four clicks and the installation is complete.

With this, you have activated hundreds of small and also larger improvements and extensions on all kinds of geocaching sites. If you agree with our standard configuration, you have nothing further to do. And if you don't want the thing right now, the Script Manager icon in your browser offers a two-click deactivation.

You can set each of these improvements and extensions via a configurator (F4 key). But that's a lot of work if you want to go through the hundreds of small and large improvements and enhancements. But that's how it is if you want it to be individual.

Incidentally, I see it the same way, that this feature should already be offered as standard. On the other hand, Groundspeak also has limited resources, which is why not everything that makes sense and is desired can be implemented.

My motto is, not to whine about something you don't have and probably can't have, but to use possible solutions. Other geocaching sites, apps, and scripts provide such solutions.

Actually, I just wanted to offer a possible solution for the named problem here briefly and painlessly. I will now opt out of the thread.

• Helpful 4
16 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

Incidentally, I see it the same way, that this feature should already be offered as standard. On the other hand, Groundspeak also has limited resources, which is why not everything that makes sense and is desired can be implemented.

This feature was already in action when searching nearest caches with coordinates. I used it a lot to see where is free space for a cache. I think  there is some undisclosed reason why GS is willing not to have this feature. It is not about human resources, because they already spent extra time to "correct" this "error" from a place where it was not affecting geoart.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1