Cache Recommendations - Vancouver Island

Olar

I'll be in Victoria for a week later this month visiting my son. We are planning to hit as many caches as possible in between doing the tourist thing. I've picked out a number of good looking ones but would like some first-hand advice from you area cachers on the "must do" ones. My preference is generally of the non-urban gender requiring a nice scenic hike. My son has a Jeep so we hope to tackle a couple that require some off-roading as well.

Thanks for your help, Olar

wavey.gif

Hi Olar!

There are some nice non-urban caches not too far from Victoria.

Gowland Ridge and Niagara Creek (about 15 minutes from downtown Victoria) are nice hikes, but you may not find the views as spectacular as some of the "city park" caches.

East Sooke Park (about 40 minutes from Victoria) hosts three caches.

East Sooke Park

Plantman_Geocache#1

Plantman_Geocache#2

The first two listed above are on the same side of the park. It's a long hike from Plantman #1 to Plantman #2....most of us locals drive to the other end of the park for #2. icon_cool.gif

The Plantman series of caches along the Juan de Fuca trail offer great views of the Olympic Peninsula...about a 1-1/2 hours drive from Victoria. Plantman_Geocache#8

As for off roading (logging roads), my best recommendations for the southern island are Wye Frogs (haven't been there yet, but the write up makes it look very interesting) as well as Leech Falls

Don't forget to visit my caches....they're quick, and offer nice views. Metchosin Central and Metchosin Puzzles

There is a webpage listing Vancouver Island Geocaches. It is new and doesn't have alot of detail yet, but should give you an idea of what is in the area.

Hope you have a great time in Victoria.

Hi Olar!

There are some nice non-urban caches not too far from Victoria.

Gowland Ridge and Niagara Creek (about 15 minutes from downtown Victoria) are nice hikes, but you may not find the views as spectacular as some of the "city park" caches.

East Sooke Park (about 40 minutes from Victoria) hosts three caches.

East Sooke Park

Plantman_Geocache#1

Plantman_Geocache#2

The first two listed above are on the same side of the park. It's a long hike from Plantman #1 to Plantman #2....most of us locals drive to the other end of the park for #2. icon_cool.gif

The Plantman series of caches along the Juan de Fuca trail offer great views of the Olympic Peninsula...about a 1-1/2 hours drive from Victoria. Plantman_Geocache#8

As for off roading (logging roads), my best recommendations for the southern island are Wye Frogs (haven't been there yet, but the write up makes it look very interesting) as well as Leech Falls

Don't forget to visit my caches....they're quick, and offer nice views. Metchosin Central and Metchosin Puzzles

There is a webpage listing Vancouver Island Geocaches. It is new and doesn't have alot of detail yet, but should give you an idea of what is in the area.

Hope you have a great time in Victoria.

AAArgh, Captain No Beard and the Pi Rats 'ere, pipin in wi' a vote a confidence fer the White Rabbit Cache...though it were the mutinyin crew whats done i' theys says it be wunna the best they dun, very clever indeedy say the Wench...If'n yer up fer a daytrip to northern climes...be sure to look up Island, there's quite a little circuit bein' made up the Road towards Nanaimo, and beyond.

Good wishes, 'eres to 'opin yer trip doesn't run into to any giant squidlike creatures...

Keep yer sail 'igh, 'nd move swiftly,

[:rolleyes:] Captain No Beard and the Pi Rats

Just about, O.K every little hump in the Victoria area has a cache on it. If you want something a little more woodsy the Plantmans I've done are all great though the furthest of these requires about 90mins driving. For #'s 3-8 I would reccomend picking up a copy of "Giant Cedars White Sands" which contains instructions and maps including shortcuts to these spots. Available at most of the local outdoors shops. Sorry. No real 4x4 rock crawling caches YET!

Thanks Folks. That gives me lots to chew-on. I've been looking at as many caches as I can and reading all the logs. They all look and sound good. It will be hard to choose. Gee maybe I can win a lottery and stay there till I've found them all. Right.

Happy Caching, Olar

wavey.gif

That's a name I havent seen in a few months...We just moved to Victoria from St Catharines.. I seem to recall you cursing one of my caches (Balls Falls Rapids if I recall) icon_wink.gif. Give me a shout before you come and we'll try to do the bbq thing...

Fish icon_cool.gif

It's not the pace of life that concerns me... It's the sudden stop at the end!

That's a name I havent seen in a few months...We just moved to Victoria from St Catharines.. I seem to recall you cursing one of my caches (Balls Falls Rapids if I recall) icon_wink.gif. Give me a shout before you come and we'll try to do the bbq thing...

Fish icon_cool.gif

It's not the pace of life that concerns me... It's the sudden stop at the end!

quote:
Originally posted by fish:

.... I seem to recall you cursing one of my caches (Balls Falls Rapids if I recall)

Yes I did and it still ranks right up there on my all-time favorite cache list. Glad to see you are still involved in this sport. Look out Victoria, the man can hide 'em with the best of them.

Cheers, Olar (I'll email)

wavey.gif