Team KFWB GPS Caches

Curious George

Erik (admin. cache approver) has created a thread on the General Forum site entitled "The Coords Above Are Bogus...comments?" We encourage your posts in this regard!

Perhaps Geocaching.com will, in the future, develop a separate category for these types of caches - our mail response indicates there are many cachers 'out there' who love challenges!

Letterboxing In America FAQ (letterboxing.org) is also an interesting site for keen cachers to browse through.

Team KFWB GPS is suspending operations effective February 3, 2003. We find it too difficult to work within the confines of the Geocaching Rules and Regulations.

We have been advised by Administration that we can no longer use "Please ignore the above position..." when posting our caches. This is proving too restrictive, and is subsequently curtailing our ability to create thought provoking caches for those who want a challenge!

I wanted to get my thoughts in here quickly, before things go too far. KFWB WAIT! Please allow a few days to sort all of this out. Don't deprive us here of the sort of caches we have become accustomed to. Just allow things to settle. I'm sure that admin will find some sort of logical compromise. Don't go anywhere yet ok??

The converted. icon_razz.gif

I don't really have a problem with the bogus coordinates, but I've seen a bunch of the caches that say "ignore the posted coordinates" and then the first line in the cache description says "go to such and such coordinates" Why not just post the starting coordinates above? How can that be giving anything away?

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM KFWB GPS:

Team KFWB GPS is suspending operations effective February 3, 2003. We find it too difficult to work within the confines of the Geocaching Rules and Regulations.

We have been advised by Administration that we can no longer use "Please ignore the above position..." when posting our caches.

The above is an untrue statement. No Administration said anything of the sort. Why is it that every time anything happens that makes Team K... even mildly upset, they threaten to take their marbles and go home? Pretty immature behavior.

However, I have been discussing these very issues with them, since I tend to place a lot of this type of cache.

Team KFWB's characterization of the request that has been made is either ridiculously garbled or disingenuous. I tend toward the latter; my impression is that they seem to enjoy using their considerable financial resources to create as much of a stir as they can.

I can pretty confidently tell you that the rest of the world is quite weary of the Vancouver Island (sorry) area's ongoing geocaching soap operas.

To reiterate: cachers have not been asked to stop posting puzzle caches with bogus coordinates, and the admins have not threatened to stop posting them, ever. The claim to this effect made above by Team KFWB is, in a word, false.

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on February 04, 2003 at 02:09 PM.]

However, I have been discussing these very issues with them, since I tend to place a lot of this type of cache.

Team KFWB's characterization of the request that has been made is either ridiculously garbled or disingenuous. I tend toward the latter; my impression is that they seem to enjoy using their considerable financial resources to create as much of a stir as they can.

I can pretty confidently tell you that the rest of the world is quite weary of the Vancouver area's ongoing geocaching soap operas.

To reiterate: cachers have not been asked to stop posting puzzle caches with bogus coordinates, and the admins have not threatened to stop posting them, ever. The claim to this effect made above by Team KFWB is, in a word, false.

Because folks from your area who appear unable to read or comprehend are flooding other threads that I do care about with whines about imaginary bans on "bogus coordinate" caches.

If you all could (a) learn to read English, (:rolleyes: quit trying to get people you disagree with kicked off of the site, and © quit posting heads-up posts about every new KFWB cache that appears on ALL the regional boards, the rest of the geocaching community would appreciate it. It's clear that the introduction of Big Money has ruined caching in your neck of the woods; I, for one, would appreciate keeping it away from the rest of us.

Chill out fizzymagic.

And get your facts straight:

quote:
If you all could (a) learn to read English,

(A) I do know how to read English. Very well. Both the Queen's version and the American version.

quote:
(:rolleyes: quit trying to get people you disagree with kicked off of the site,

(:P I don't recall any instance where I tried to get anyone kicked off of the site (or anywhere else for that matter).

quote:
and © quite posting heads-up posts about every new KFWB cache that appears on ALL the regional boards

© I don't recall posting anything regarding KFWB caches in ANY of the Regional boards.

In addition:

- I don't think that it's 'clear' that the introduction of money in caches has ruined caching in my neck of the woods. From what I've seen, most people caching here are enjoying themselves just fine.

- I don't see anything to indicate that Team KFWB's financial resources have contributed to creating a stir. I think it's been a few individuals (local or otherwise) who have created this fuss. BTW: How much does creating a stir cost these days?

- You must have some incredible network available to you to know that "the rest of the world" is weary.

- I, for one, would appreciate it if you would stop whining in this forum.

Personally, I think you owe a few of us here an apology. If that's too much to ask, it's OK. I'm sure we'll all forgive you anyway.

Relax, it's supposed to be fun. Go find something.

-----

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

(A) I do know how to read English. Very well. Both the Queen's version and the American version.

Bully for you. Unfortunately, some others near you can't. They seem to have the impression that all bogus coordinate caches will be banned, and Team KFWB (or whatever they're called) has thrown another of their famed hissy fits and quit. Again.

quote:
(:rolleyes: I don't recall any instance where I tried to get anyone kicked off of the site (or anywhere else for that matter).

Bully for you. Unfortunately, another of your local cachers did.

quote:
© I don't recall posting anything regarding KFWB caches in ANY of the Regional boards.

How special. Unfortunately, yet another of your local cachers flooded all of the regional boards with "announcements" of these caches.

quote:
- I, for one, would appreciate it if you would stop whining in this forum.

You're right. I shouldn't bother you in your forums and yet expect you to leave us alone in the others. Very well; for that I apologize.

Bye now.

Fizzymagic – it’s nice to know that you appear to be a spokesperson for Administration – plus be an expert on a Geocaching community in another country a thousand miles away!

Let’s get a few facts straight!

In an e mail to cache approver ‘Erik’, we wrote (quote), “ Thank you for your two e mails re our Geocaching concerns. We realize that we’re a very small part of your overall operation, and ultimately Geocaching.com has the final say”. An e mail from cache approver ‘Seth” says (referring to GPS Coords) (quote) “The coordinates need to point to either the starting location or the final Geocache”. In other words we cannot post fake coordinates.”

Team KFWB GPS have placed about one hundred caches. We have been accused of many things; however, in time Geocachers came to realize we do not have a hidden agenda, and only want to advance the sport beyond simple “go to” caches.

We have received well over 3000 e mails. If you check out our cache sites, we believe you will see an overwhelming positive response.

You state (quote), “Quit trying to get people you disagree with kicked off the site” – we have no idea what you are talking about. You go on to state (quote), “Quit posting heads-up posts about every new KFWB GPS cache that appears on all the Regional boards”. We have never done this, not even on the Canadian Forum page!

Other individual cacher’s have posted on other Forum pages not affiliated with Team KFWB GPS, but obviously we cannot control their actions. The only time Team KFWB GPS has even posted on the Forum are the two comments made on this page. When we announced we were suspending operations, this was directed at cacher’s here on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

We are not asking Geocaching Administrator’s to change their policies to suit us; but simply stating that we didn’t want to place caches under the current guidelines.

In summary, this is no concern of yours, as you are not involved in the local scene. We hope this clears up your misunderstandings.

Hey Fizzy.

What did you think of those caches you hit yesterday? The ones by southerncanucks? Pull out your map to find out where Vancouver is, And that is where they are from...its my sister and her husband..small world [icon_smile.gif]

Dagg

Put yer hands in the air & step away from the tupperware!

After reading their "We're going home" EMAIL, I found it intreresting that they state that their campaign was not intended for profit. They appear to be giving away all of that hardware selflessly I guess.

NOT!

If they are bent on promoting the sport they could (for example) turn in all that expensive hardware and buy starter model GPS units and give them to schools to instruct at risk kids in the sport. Maybe it was not initally for profit, but it was a prime example of Shameless Self Promotion icon_eek.gif

Their EMAIL reads a bit like a threat, nice

"Vince Malum Patientia"

[This message was edited by montythemule on February 04, 2003 at 04:23 PM.]

The egos that get puffed up on this site and then expound all kinds of far fetched reasonings and concepts are nothing new... man has suffered with his *pride* issue all along... ever since the Garden.

What will we dream of next? There is already a website where you can create your own conspiracy theory.

I'm sticking to my original story: 'this IS a sociological experiment'. I expect to see the thesis published next year.

And then you can shoot at my puffed head all you like.

Cheers,

canadazuuk

"Montythetool", before you start spouting off with your left wing remarks why don't you take a moment and get your facts straight. Team KFWB GPS has come on scene back in September and without question have been a huge supporter of the sport. They have literally given away thousands of dollars in equipment and cash and made the sport alot more interesting and fun, at least in this neck of the woods. I have to say that do to a few left wing goof balls like yourself the sport has certainly taken a change for the worst. It seems that every time people do something that has the word fun in it, it's not long before the pathetic souls of the world have to get in there and screw things up. In regards to donating GPS machines to children why don't you if it is so important, sell that piece of crap you call a plane and then donate as many GPS machines as you can with the proceeds. I personally have not seen any sort of an agenda on the Teams behalf, only very generous offerings to all of the local caching community. In closing I would like to say that a good flight plan for you to file would be a non-stop flight across the pacific. Do you think you could make it??? please just for me give it a try otherwise zip it bozo!

GeoChamp.

Hey donkey(monty), I am curious as to how you know the team doesn't already make charitable donations to these "at risk" kids. And I think that "at risk" kids probably have bigger things to worry about than gps's and geocaching. Maybe your just upset that they don't hide these kind of caches in your neck of the world. Or maybe you are one of those "at risk" kids...

I started this thread some time ago and now I would like to officially end it.

All of the name calling etc. may be entertaining to read but it is getting us nowhere.

What we need is a constructive dialogue with Admin to work on possible solutions. We need to find a way to be able to post these types of caches in a manner that keeps everyone happy.

There must be a solution - a lot of people want these types of caches. Let's put our effort and energy into finding a solution.

Curious George, I have to agree with you this crap must stop if we're going to come to some sort of resolve here. I am as guilty as the rest for contributing my thoughts. However, I do have trouble with people stirring things up unnecessarily and then expect us to all bow down to their leftist attitudes. If I can help you in this resolve please be in touch. GeoChamp!

O! well done! I commend your pains,

And every one shall share i' the gains.

And now about the cauldron sing,

Like elves and fairies in a ring.

Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn and cauldron bubble! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by phatcache on February 05, 2003 at 08:42 PM.]

THIS KANSAS CITY AREA CACHER WOULD LIKE TO INVITE TEAM KFWB GPS TO MOVE THE THE KANSAS CITY AREA. WE PROMISE TO ALWAYS USE CAPS AND WILL BE VERY GREATFUL FOR FINDING YOUR CACHES. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT YOU HAVE INSPIRED SEVERAL OF US TO CREATE BETTER AND HARDER CACHES IN KC. THANKS FOR ADDING SO MUCH TO THE SPORT.

FYI, I have requested that the thread be closed. What is the point? We have the Team :huh:, the other guys don't and I think they're jealous! B) The Team has added a different element to the sport, and I'll repeat-if you don't like them, don't do them, but don't criticize those that do them. Peace out. 'nuff said.