Canadian Base Network - virtual cache

MrGigabyte

Shouldn't the owner of this have visited each location before posting this? I am a purist when it comes to VC's. I believe that you should only post a VC if you have stood in the location with your GPS... Otherwise I'd post one for the peak of Mt Everest!!!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu: Shouldn't the owner of this have visited each location before posting this? I am a purist when it comes to VC's. I believe that you should only post a VC if you have stood in the location with your GPS

There has been lots of discussion on the forums on these type of caches(here for instance) and the general feeling appears to be that they are not against the "rules" (of which there are virtually none) but that some are very lame and not worthwhile and some are very good and would be of interest to many GeoCachers. IMHO, think your Mount Everest example would fit into the former category and this one fits the latter. It will get me off my butt, and will let me use my GPS to navigate to somewhere I haven't been to before and then let me share my find with others. A virtual geocache can't be too "impure" if it does that.

I am looking at this cache as a "group" cache, where each find "adds" to the cache. I think it is more practical than each person setting up there own virtual cache for each monument. I had thought about setting up a virtual on the monument near my house, but now I will add to this group cache as a find. There is a similar virtual cache for the US Survey markers.

- Donna G.

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

My point is that in order to set a VC do you not have to visit the location yourself?

MrCPU,

Which part of my photo standing at the cache did you miss? Was it me, the GPS, the view of Vancouver, the Geocaching.com hat that I am wearing? Please let me know if I am invisible.

12077_500.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

quote:

My point is that in order to set a VC do you not have to visit the location yourself?

MrCPU,

Which part of my photo standing at the cache did you miss? Was it me, the GPS, the view of Vancouver, the Geocaching.com hat that I am wearing? Please let me know if I am invisible.

http://www.geocoins.ca

Na. I know your not invisible! But your VC encompasses all the markers. My point of debate is whether or not this is "fair" (for lack of a better adjective).

Should a person placing a VGC not have to visit the location? If so, should you not have to visit ALL the markers and put up all the pictures to make this a valid VC? And if so, shouldn't someone have to visit ALL the markers to log the find?

Ok... this is getting silly!!!!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

quote:

MrCPU,

http://www.geocoins.ca

Na. I know your not invisible! But your VC encompasses all the markers. My point of debate is whether or not this is "fair" (for lack of a better adjective).

Should a person placing a VGC not have to visit the location? If so, should you not have to visit ALL the markers and put up all the pictures to make this a valid VC? And if so, shouldn't someone have to visit ALL the markers to log the find?

Ok... this is getting silly!!!!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by boreal jeff:

Does anyone know what this is?

It a Geodetic Survey of Canada reference monument. It is either part of a set of reference stations to "witness" the control monument in case it is disturbed or the used as an eccentric station if the control monument cannot be occupied.

quote:

It a Geodetic Survey of Canada reference monument. It is either part of a set of reference stations to "witness" the control monument in case it is disturbed or the used as an eccentric station if the control monument cannot be occupied.

Hey MrGigabyte? Would you happen to know what the device was on top of the monument I logged?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/259804_400.jpg

P.S. Having WAY too much fun with those coins icon_wink.gif

quote:

Hey MrGigabyte? Would you happen to know what the device was on top of the monument I logged?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/259804_400.jpg

P.S. Having WAY too much fun with those coins icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cliffy:

Would you happen to know what the device was on top of the monument I logged?

Just a guess, but it looks like a L1/L2 Choke Ring Antenna. If so, it is connected to a radio beacon differential reference station transmitter. It would be part of your provincial Active Control Network (ACN).

They would broadcast real-time DGPS corrections and/or record them. You can then either apply the corrections on the fly (RTK) if you have a DGPS/RTK receiver or download them a post process the info later.

It is sort of like WAAS except it actually works! It will give you accuracy to sub-centimeter while you are on the move. The provincial active control networks are used primarily for cadastral surveys.

Then again, it could just as easily be a Bell ExpressVu satellite TV receiver!!

12077_500.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rybren:

Hey Cliffy:

You mean you didn't believe me when I sugested that perhaps lead-lined underwear was in order?

I'm devastated. icon_eek.gif

Actually Jerry I was hoping there was some truth to it!!! Lawd knows I'm poor enough with two kids! hehehehe

quote:
Originally posted by Rybren:

Hey Cliffy:

You mean you didn't believe me when I sugested that perhaps lead-lined underwear was in order?

I'm devastated. icon_eek.gif

Actually Jerry I was hoping there was some truth to it!!! Lawd knows I'm poor enough with two kids! hehehehe

MrG,

We got into it a while back about WAAS. I was hoping you could point me in the right direction regarding more information.

What I have found out about it suggests that WAAS is quite useful here in S/Ont. You have stated otherwise and considering your demonstrated knowledge of geospatial science, I am not discounting your opinion but I would like to read more on my own.

Any suggested websites?

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

mrcpu

I'd be interested to see the results too.

One way of statistically dis/proving WAAS effectiveness would be to make several trips to a survey marker site with your GPS and take multiple readings with and without WAAS on. Unfortunately to account for different sat geometry and atmospheric conditions, quite a few trips (10+?) might be needed.

I'd help, but here in Alberta, I've never seen even a hint of WASS.

Park2