St. Pierre & Miquelon not showing as a country in statistics

IMGOIN2

St. Pierre & Miquelon appears to be recognized as a country by Geocaching.com, and is listed as a country in the statistics division of the Department of Economic and Special Affairs at the United Nations.  But if I click on some of the caches there, and check those who have logged the caches, I do not find them getting credit for St.Pierre & Miquelon as a country in the maps section of their statistics.  So if I find caches there, will it not count as a country in my statistics?  What am I missing here?

Charlie, IMGOIN2

Probably the same thing as in a previous thread: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/382091-whats-the-deal-with-the-maps-section-just-languishing-in-non-maintenance/#comment-6034922

On 10/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, Moun10Bike said:

The maps in the stats are actually a Google module. They rely on what Google calls a country (which is why the countries there don't match up precisely with what are available on Geocaching.com), it's why Asia shows such a wide view, and it's why Aruba doesn't trigger a find for South America.

• Helpful 1
On 11/5/2022 at 6:56 PM, mysterion604 said:

This is odd. I always thought it was just part of France. Off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, true, but France would be dismayed to discover it was not theirs anymore.

It's still part of France, like Jersey and Guernsey and the Falkland Islands are still part of the UK. But they are all quasi-independent enough that they count as a separate "country" for statistics.

There's a more detailed explanation around the forums somewhere. I can't remember where.