Victoria's Best

sparklehorse

Hi folks!

My wife and I are from Portland, Oregon and we're headed to Victoria, BC for the Memorial Day weekend (May 24-26). We're planning to snag a few caches while we're up there - any recommendations? We'd like to hit some interesting ones but won't have a lot of time for multi's, puzzles or long hikes.

Also, I was just perusing the Victoria cache map and was shocked to find nary a cache in Beacon Hill Park. What's up with that? Was there some trouble with the local Parks Department? Do tell. That's one of the prettiest city parks in North America, IMHO.

Thanks,

sparklehorse

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a geocacher but I play one on TV.

While Geo-Trekker is indeed correct, there are many good KFWB caches to do around the area, there are many others by us mere mortals, which are equally redeeming, I'm sure the Team would agree. There HAVE been caches in Beacon Hill Park, and there were some small issues with them, and all have eventually been resolved. Stand by for another incarnation of "I AM CANADIAN" by cacherunner, for example.

I am still Canadian

I will also have one very near there by the weekend that you visit, for Cruise Ship cachers. There are many more caches very close by, as well. We would love to hear from you, when you arrive.

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

Being that your from Oregon you've probably already been awed by big trees and wild coastlines. We definitely have our share of that but it sounds like your into a more leisurely cruise rather than some serious trekking.

One thing most visitors or guests end up doing is taking a scenic tour along Greater Victoria's waterfront. It's one way we as hosts show off our town. Usually starting near the downtown inner harbour and working counter clockwise along the shore utilizing Dallas Road and others and eventually ending up in the Mt Douglas Park, Cordova Bay areas.

There are dozens of lookouts and beach accesses along the way, most of which sport at least one cache. An occasional jaunt inland to high ground along this route would also be a nice idea.ie.Witches Hat geocache, Smiles on Mt. Tolmie and the Mt. Douglas ones.

Just download a whole bunch in our general area and pick them off as they come into your screen. Renting Mopeds would be a fun Idea if that's running by then.

Have fun!

OK, I'll bite. The cache page for "I am still Canadian" says:

quote:
You'll even be close to inarguably Victoria's best ice cream!

Since ice cream is my favorite food group I will of course have to find this place, cache or not. Can someone point me to this dreamy creamery? Can't be in the middle of Beacon Hill Park. Or can it?

quote:
Since ice cream is my favorite food group I will of course have to find this place, cache or not. Can someone point me to this dreamy creamery? Can't be in the middle of Beacon Hill Park. Or can it?

I believe the place in question is located on the corner of Beacon and Douglas.

A very good soft ice cream that has been sold from this location for at least 35 years. Do check it out.

We live on a rock, ergo we rockcrawl.......

Not to fear-I will be reactivating this cache quite soon. I WAS going to wait until closer to Canada Day, but since we're going to have special visitors, I could bump it up to be ready for the Victoria Day weekend-plus that weekend is kinda close to my birthday icon_wink.gif, and I've been known to do some unconventional things (walking around Elk Lake twice one year, and being up to my eyeballs in emergency/disaster supplies last year), so why not hide a cache this year? icon_biggrin.gif

Real cachers don't smell like Fleecy.

Well somebody had to do it. At lunch I went out and braved the bright sun light and warm temperatures and drove over to Beacon Drive in and YES, there ice cream machine is in flawless operation. I then felt obligated to take a quick stroll out on Ogden Pt., being forced to breath in the fresh sea air. Life's real tough here in Victoria.

Is there a cacher around here who hasn't considered putting a cache on Ogden Point?

PS. Is somebody's Birthday coming up? icon_wink.gif

Mmmmm ice cream....as promissed I went by there today to check it out and get a waypoint. Here it is in UTM's:

472731E 5362120N

And here's a local secret - go to the line-up inside, if it's sunny out the lines outside are way too slow, the one inside moves pretty fast.

I love the smell of Lock 'n Locks in the morning...they smell like $$$

Curious George wrote:

quote:
Mmmmm ice cream....as promissed I went by there today to check it out and get a waypoint. Here it is in UTM's:

472731E 5362120N

Thanks for the ice cream waypoint. Being a yank the UTM thing is just an omen of many conversions to come. Sure wish my speedometer had kilometers on it though! Oh well, maybe speeding tickets are cheaper in BC. icon_wink.gif