A resurfacing story

lee737

https://coord.info/TB8PRAG

An interesting one, of a seemingly short-lived TB.... we found it yesterday, and I had completely forgotten about it until I logged it in a group of dumped TBs we found in a cache, and wondered how I had marked it missing in 2019.... :)

The cache we found had 6 random TBs, all either marked as missing or unaccounted for over the past 2-3 years.... a nice find really, they are all back in the game now....

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/16/2022 at 6:17 AM, lee737 said:

https://coord.info/TB8PRAG

An interesting one, of a seemingly short-lived TB.... we found it yesterday, and I had completely forgotten about it until I logged it in a group of dumped TBs we found in a cache, and wondered how I had marked it missing in 2019.... :)

The cache we found had 6 random TBs, all either marked as missing or unaccounted for over the past 2-3 years.... a nice find really, they are all back in the game now....

Wait, you found your OWN 'missing' TB in a cache three years after you marked it?

That's wacky. Congratulations.

Yep - and it didn't dawn on me until after I had noted it marked missing, looked at the logs and it was me who marked it missing - I initially just assumed it must have been in one of my caches, but no, it was my TB.... :)

I had forgotten about it - it was a TB we found unactivated somewhere, so activated it and sent it off.

• Funny 1

Wow, that's impressive.

I sometimes wish TB's could talk, and let us know the story of their journey between the logs. Was it someone that simply stopped caching and found the TB's after a while and sent them out again? Someone that passed away and their partner / relative / friend set the TB's free? Did someone buy them at a garage sale not knowing what they were? A TB hoarder who was visited by the ghosts of caches past? 

• Upvote 1

I think it is just a reasonably experienced cacher who doesn't know how to log TBs properly.... they seemed to pick up a handful in 2019, sometimes logging correctly/grabbing, sometimes not, then dropped them without logging..... all the TBs I picked up had recent dealings with the same team.....

Finding your own. Very cool.

O

15 hours ago, lee737 said:

cacher who doesn't know how to log TBs

Once you Marked it Missing, it wasn't in their inventory to drop. I doubt they knew this until after the action, ie, they went to log the find and the drop. By that time,  the only way they could have logged it properly was to have written down the code.  Which I assume they hadn't.

7 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Finding your own. Very cool.

O

Once you Marked it Missing, it wasn't in their inventory to drop. I doubt they knew this until after the action, ie, they went to log the find and the drop. By that time,  the only way they could have logged it properly was to have written down the code.  Which I assume they hadn't.

Not entirely - they still had the TB. So they could have just grabbed it then dropped it off.

They had already grabbed it.  They dropped it, expecting to be able to log the drop out of their inventory. You  removed it from their inventory. They had no notice of that.  By the time they'd found a cache, and dropped it, the tracking number was in the cache with the bug. They were home (or somewhere, not the cache).

I guess I'm more diligent with others' TBs.... I like to know exactly what is in my TB pouch, and occasionally verify it against my inventory for accuracy, and when I drop a TB, I always take two photos, one with the tracking code showing so I know exactly which cache I dropped it in, and one without the code for the TB page.

I can't recall the circumstances of marking that one missing to be honest - why it seems I marked it missing not that long after they grabbed it - because I never do this - I only ever mark them missing if they are listed in a cache and after several months reports that they aren't in there start surfacing. I have heaps of TBs still listed in peoples inventories after 3+ years.....