Where do I get cheap climbing rope in Australia?

neel2012

Suggestion: find a local rock-climbing gym and get some lessons on how to use the gear, first. (Please? I have been climbing for nearly ten years and still I manage to mess things up. When you introduce specialized equipment it becomes very, very easy to injure yourself.)

1 hour ago, neel2012 said:

I really don’t know anyone who climbs professional.

Find someone that climbs.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, neel2012 said:

And teamrabbitrun your message came really rude so I would just like to point that out

As another former rock climber, my message to you would have been even more blunt, had teamrabbitrun not got there first.

My climbing partner, one of the top 10 in the UK at the time (him, not me), was killed falling off the Avon Gorge.  Do not go cheap.  Cheap gets you dead.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, neel2012 said:

And teamrabbitrun your message came really rude so I would just like to point that out

You have just turned down advice which could save your life.

The people who have answered your queries about cheap gear and then cheap rope have all advised you to get experience and then get your equipment.

Getting experience is essential.

Please also consider the people who would have to deal with the aftermath of a fall caused by lack of knowledge. 

Do not do high risk caches without the correct knowledge. There are plenty more caches to enjoy whilst you are learning how to climb.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
18 hours ago, Hügh said:

Suggestion: find a local rock-climbing gym and get some lessons on how to use the gear, first. (Please? I have been climbing for nearly ten years and still I manage to mess things up. When you introduce specialized equipment it becomes very, very easy to injure yourself.)

Find someone that climbs.

The other 2/3rds and I were in another state doing a friend's 5T tree cache.  Brought a brand-new rope with me to do it.

Rope use since the 70s and didn't notice any real difference between this slightly slicker rope and my old standard with the ascenders in 10' runs.

Clipped in a descender, took the ascenders off, and I immediately slid with no brake 40,' luckily on soft ground.

Something really simple like that could ruin your day...

• Helpful 1

Just throwing my 2pennorth in here FWIW.

It seems some of the respondents here saw a bandwagon and decided to climb aboard and have a go at the OP, unfailry IMO.

For a start he asked for cheap, SAFE, GOOD rope;  I'm not from Oz, but I expect that they too have many suppliers of equipment who will vary in their pricing, so there will be some suppliers of "safe, good rope" which are cheaper than others, as long as it's the right "type", right size, properly rated and from a reputable source then where's the problem if it's cheap(er) than other rope?  If he was in the UK I could point him at some suppliers that are cheaper than others for exactly the same product, or I could point him at a manufacutrer who also sells direct to the public online and so cheaper than walking into a shop to buy the same product, but only if you know exactly what you want. I doubt he was asking for someone to recommend a supplier for cheap builder's poly rope, neither was he asking for Chinese knock off merchants.

Secondly, he says he has a New Tribe saddle, that's a tree climbing harness, so telling him to get a rock climbing course is a waste of time and money as rock climing and tree climbing use different techniques and equipment. E.G.  tree climbing generally uses (semi-)static rope, whereas rock climbing uses more dynamic rope which can be used to climb trees and I've done it but it's HORRIBLE 'cos you're bouncing up and down all the time, so DON'T buy rope sold specifically for rock climbing.

While I wouldn't call TeamRabbitRun's post rude, it was condescending, and for the OP to point that out isn't "turning down advice" whether or not it might be lifesaving.

The best bit of advice was from Hugh : "Find someone that climbs" - so find someone that climbs trees (not rocks)  and ask them where they buy from, even better arrange to go out with them - you could make some new mates.

My best piece of advice would be to find an Oz tree climbing group/forum and go and ask there, they might not be so snotty ;).

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

telling him to get a rock climbing course is a waste of time and money as rock climing and tree climbing use different techniques and equipment

For one, rock-climbing courses are generally more accessible than tree-climbing courses.

But also, that's not the point. It is in no way a waste of time and money. My goal for the OP is for them to:

1. Get comfortable with ropes, harnesses, belay devices, etc. in a safe, indoor setting before going outside. If they can find anything advertised as "tree-climbing lessons"; great—but I doubt it. Rock climbing lessons are similar enough that they will accomplish this same goal.
  2. Take a fall themselves or watch someone take a fall and realize that maybe climbing (anything) is really, really, dangerous. It is not a skill that can just be picked up for the sake of finding some caches; no, it needs to be learned separately.
  3. Actually talk to people (face-to-face!) about their goals and reasons, instead of asking random faceless strangers on the internet. Even if climbing gym staff aren't experts on tree climbing, they will be able to say smart things (and possibly even talk OP out of this.)

• Helpful 2
12 minutes ago, Hügh said:

and possibly even talk OP out of this.

I should clarify: the OP is more than welcome to learn how to tree/rock/whatever-climb. I'm not trying to gatekeep this sport. But because it's being presented as "I want to find a couple caches that are high up in trees, where can I buy rope?", I am anxious for the OPs safety. It is not the right mindset here. The question they really should have asked is "where can I learn how to climb trees/rocks/whatever safety."

OP: Learn how to climb rocks/trees/whatever in a rock/tree/whatever-climbing class. Use the gear provided by instructors. Make sure you are comfortable. Talk to the instructors. They will be more than happy to help you find rope, harnesses, etc. They are the experts, not random strangers on a Geocaching forum.

Edited by Hügh
  • Helpful 3

Tree climbing is dangerous, a fall from even 3m could be fatal if you land wrong. As stated previously, you need to know what you are doing. Find somebody who knows and learn from them. They will know all about how to use/get the equipment. Some hides out there (Melbourne has quite a couple nasty tree climbs) aren't for everyone and requires years of learning.

Your safety is more important than a smiley face.

• Helpful 1
15 minutes ago, EthisEthat said:

Tree climbing is dangerous, a fall from even 3m could be fatal if you land wrong.

Hell, we just hid two free climbs higher than that! (and the FTF attempt fell out of the tree and wound up in hospital!)

I'm an amateur technical tree climber, and feel *far* safer with ropes/harnesses at 15m up, than free climbing or up a ladder (they are killers too!) 5m....

16 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Hell, we just hid two free climbs higher than that! (and the FTF attempt fell out of the tree and wound up in hospital!)

I'm an amateur technical tree climber, and feel *far* safer with ropes/harnesses at 15m up, than free climbing or up a ladder (they are killers too!) 5m....

Even tree caches that don't require any climbing can be dangerous...

dd7b188d-9dc3-44ec-be96-7a0c32e8596e.jpg

• Surprised 2