20 Year old caches - how many out there?

Breaktrack

I was going over my published caches, and editing information where necessary, when I noticed that I had 11 still active caches that were now over 20 years old since their original publishing date. 10 are grandfathered virtual caches, and one is still a .50 cal ammo can down on Matagorda beach in Texas, which is getting a new can next month when I go down to do cache maintenance, lol. I still have 16 active caches, but only these were actually over 20 years old.

Once I saw that I decided I'd figure out how many visitors all my caches have had over the years, and maybe even how many favorite points they'd garnered, and here are the results:

Finds to date - 19,246

Fav points - 2,405

I haven't dug any deeper into the results, or separated them by type of cache, etc, as I'm just too lazy, but I wondered how my numbers compared to others in the game, so I thought I'd put it out there, just for the fun of it.

Mac

• Funny 1

I looked over the info for all the caches that own/co-own. 

As of today, we have 14 active caches that are 20 years old or older. One of the trads is a cache I adopted, and is one of the top 10 oldest caches in Washington state.

9 virtuals

4 traditionals

1 multi

A total of 14,731 finds.

A total of 1,451 favorites.

The favorites number isn't going to be as accurate, because people didn't have the favorites feature 20 years ago, and not many people go back and reward favorite points years later.

• Upvote 1

Some other fun numbers:

• 9,719 active caches that are 20+ years old from the moment I ran the query a few minutes ago
  • 5,203 distinct COs
  • An average of 49 Favorite Points each
  • An average of 509 finds each
  • Cache type breakdown:
  1. Traditional - 6,859
  2. Virtual - 1,948
  3. Multi - 704
  4. Mystery - 156
  5. LBH - 35
  6. Webcam - 14
  7. APE - 2
  8. EarthCache - 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2022 at 4:42 PM, Moun10Bike said:

Some other fun numbers:

• 9,719 active caches that are 20+ years old from the moment I ran the query a few minutes ago
  • 5,203 distinct COs
  • An average of 49 Favorite Points each
  • An average of 509 finds each
  • Cache type breakdown:
  1. Traditional - 6,859
  2. Virtual - 1,948
  3. Multi - 704
  4. Mystery - 156
  5. LBH - 35
  6. Webcam - 14
  7. APE - 2
  8. EarthCache - 1

This is incredibly cool to see!!!

On 10/14/2022 at 9:27 PM, Ambrosia said:

As of today, we have 14 active caches that are 20 years old or older. One of the trads is a cache I adopted, and is one of the top 10 oldest caches in Washington state.

9 virtuals

4 traditionals

1 multi

A total of 14,731 finds.

The favorites number isn't going to be as accurate, because people didn't have the favorites feature 20 years ago, and not many people go back and reward favorite points years later.

I definitely did not think about the favorites number being off for that reason, interesting! How do you do a search that includes how old a cache is compared to others? I'd like to know how mine stack up in Texas.

Mac

On 10/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, Breaktrack said:
On 10/14/2022 at 7:27 PM, Ambrosia said:

9 virtuals

4 traditionals

1 multi

A total of 14,731 finds.

Expand  

I definitely did not think about the favorites number being off for that reason, interesting! How do you do a search that includes how old a cache is compared to others? I'd like to know how mine stack up in Texas.

Mac

You can do a search for caches by date. Use the filters and go to "placed date", then use the drop down menu and choose "between". You can put in the older dates there. That's the best I can think of for now.

• Upvote 1