Seeking but never Hiding

Tick & Nammie

Oops! I posted a discussion on Hiding but never Seeking but I meant to state Seeking but never Hiding!

I didn't know how to change the subject text so I thought I would start another discussion.

If any of you know how to change the subject text I will delete this one and change the former.

Question: How do you feel about those that have beeen geocaching for a long time, have found numberous caches, but have never hidden any?

I have heard of the hide 1 for every 10 finds and thought that was a very good rule of thumb.

I don't encourage that attitude, but i don't think there should be any kind of rule there.

Some people are more interested in seeking, some (much less) in hiding, that's a fact.

If people are interested enough in geocaching at all, they should soon or later realise that the responsability of hiding has to be shared.

And therefore place caches of their own.

Thank for your chaches in Newfoundland by the way.

I couldn't find the second set of coord of your multicache though. I 'll try again sometime soon.

Nicolas

ps: you should be able to edit your message again by clicking on the 'edit' icon (far right on the same line as your name)

La Capitale des Terre-Neuvas

i dont think there should be a rule requiring you have to hide a cache. some ppl just dont like to hide, as already stated, or they cant find a good spot, or maybe they dont think they have the time to do maintance on a cache, etc etc

There are already caches hidden that arent being watched(orphans) so why require more?

whack.gif

Both reply's stated above are thrue. It would be more fun to have more caches but we wouldn't want any caches that would be left unattended or demolished for long periods of time. So too much isn't good and too few neither. I think cachers should place at least one if not more. I rather like hiding caches. I like planning these out and putting myself in the finders place. I actually have been plotting a new location several times and still didn't stashed it yet. I've been carrying this cache in the car for about 1 month.

I like multi-wpt caches or especially one's that take you out for a long hike.

742_900.jpg

I have considered some caches in the past and then decided against them because either:

1. I didn't feel they were truly worthy of me icon_wink.gif.

2. Too distant to maintain them properly icon_frown.gif.

3. Somebody placed one nearby before me icon_eek.gif.

My criteria for placing a cache is a simple question to myself:

Would I enjoy doing this cache and can I maintain it properly? icon_smile.gif

Tony

Without a doubt the best caches have been those that are well researched and imaginative. I'd much rather see new cachers wait and get a good feel for placing their first then being pressured into throwing one out there without any thought process involved just for the sake of maintaining a ratio.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

I only started geocaching a couple of weeks ago, and I'm considering hiding a cache, but I've got some problems to solve first.

Is the trip to the spot worth the time it takes to get there?

Is the cache in a location I can get to it regularly to check on it?

Is the cache in a location where others can find it without revealing it to everyone?

Is the cache in a location that's accessable year round?

Can I get permission to put a cache in that spot?

Is the location well away from existing caches?

so far, I've thought of, and eliminated several possible locations due to 'no' answers to one or more of the above questions.

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

"...I'd much rather see new cachers wait and get a good feel for placing their first then being pressured into throwing one out there without any thought process involved just for the sake of maintaining a ratio..."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Although it's clear that the sport can't exist without those who volunteer their time and effort into placing caches, cache placement isn't for everyone (nor need it be). Far more important to sustaining GeoCaching (I think) is the quality of the caches that *are* placed, along with the rest of us showing our support by seeking them out, leaving thoughtful log entries, and engaging in 'healthy' exchanges of contents.

It's kind of like Halloween. There are those of us who get our kicks out of putting on a good spooky show and 'shelling out', and there are those who's preference is to travel from house to house with the kids collecting the goodies. Each 'side' of the equation has its own rewards (personally, I'm far better at being the 'scare-er' than the 'scare-ee') and, in the long run, it all works out in the end ...everyone has a good time.

I have placed some caches and the 2 I placed for my kids are in lame places, but the 2 I placed for my wife and I are in good places I think.

But my kids like getting the email and think they have good caches.

To me any cache that takes me to an area where I would not have gone and lets me explore it is good.

We treat this as a family activity and thats what is matters to me. getting out and doing the hike is what counts and not the cache as per say.

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

So my ratio is way off, I really have to get out there "seeking" more. When I do find a neat spot I tend to jump in on it before some one else stumbles across it and takes it for their own cache. Or If I have an idea that I haven't seen in the forums yet - boom - gotta place it quick.

I'd like to think that each geocacher eventually places at least one cache, but the guys like me who like hiding more than finding should make up for those who never hide one.