Weird distance results on Search

thebruce0

Not sure if this is reported elsewhere or how long it's been something, but I just noticed on searching for events in Ontario (any search within Ontario region), the distances to all are WAAAY off; 800-1000km away, per the result list. There's no center point in the search filter, just the region for Ontario. I know the distance  has been correct before, so I don't know when this changed or why. Or what is being measured as the distance, because it's definitely not my account's home location...

I'm thinking it's considering the approximate center of ontario as the center point for the search and result distance instead of my home location. Pretty sure that's not the intended result.

Edited by thebruce0
tested any search with Ontario region vs no region; the latter has correct distances, the former does not
  • Funny 1
3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Not sure if this is reported elsewhere or how long it's been something, but I just noticed on searching for events in Ontario (any search within Ontario region), the distances to all are WAAAY off; 800-1000km away, per the result list. There's no center point in the search filter, just the region for Ontario. I know the distance  has been correct before, so I don't know when this changed or why. Or what is being measured as the distance, because it's definitely not my account's home location...

This happened with the "enhancements" to the search engine earlier this year. All regional searches (city, state, country, etc.) show distances to some arbitrary geographical centre instead of using the searcher's home location. It was reported as a bug several times in the Release Notes thread but I guess it's supposed to be a feature.

• Funny 2
  • Helpful 3
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

This happened with the "enhancements" to the search engine earlier this year. All regional searches (city, state, country, etc.) show distances to some arbitrary geographical centre instead of using the searcher's home location. It was reported as a bug several times in the Release Notes thread but I guess it's supposed to be a feature.

I would be ashamed of programming such a feature and it shows a clear lack of thought by the people who design such a system. They also demonstrate total lack of caring by not splitting the centre point and the filter which is so obvious to everybody. All very sad but sadly this is what we expect nowadays. 

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

When reporting bugs or features that don't perform to expectations, posters should be factual when describing the issue, and should focus their opinions on the bug or feature rather than making personal attacks against the people responsible for the bugs and features.  The first two posts in this thread are good examples for reporting and for expressing opinions.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

While it is true that this was a bug early in the release, it was also fixed between now and then.

I have notified the Engineers to investigate why this bug has returned.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2

Still broken!  Do the goecaching people undersand this problem and how is affecting people?  It is hard to believe that they can't just put things back the way before they went haywire way back when. . .last summer?  I can't help but think that the dstance search problem is leading to a decrease in interest in  geocaching.  Does anyone know for sure that the people at geocaching,com  even realize and understand the problem?

Read somewhere that it has been fixed!  Definitely not so for me!

• Helpful 1

It used to be that when I did a search on the website, the results were shown and sorted by distance from the location (coordinates) that I searched from (entered as my search center point).  This was very useful as I could easily see what was around (and closest to) my search location.  Now, the results appear to be shown and sorted based on distance from my home location (or at least a close proxy).  I hope this is being treated as a bug that will be fixed as displaying distance from a location other than the one that I'm searching from is not in any way useful.  In fact, it basically makes the search feature useless for me.  The very last thing that I care about if I'm searching a location 500 miles (or really any distance) from my home location is which caches are closest to my home location.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1