Event Cache: Kayak Trip to Indian Arm

Jomarac5

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

To add insult to injury, I confirmed my intent to have holidays during the entire time of the backcountry closure, so I'll be going to Washington State for additonal geocaching challenges.

Ouch.

As soon as I know what the hell my days off are I'll let you know maybe we can go get a couple of US caches. Depending on how far south you want to go I can arange a spot to crash for the night on the 2bigbronco's list.

Pat Patterson

Garmin 12XL

82CJ7 & 79F250

Herd of Turtles 4x4 club

quote:
Originally posted by Dagg:

Hmm Sux to be C

Well hopefully you can make it. Im sure its going to be a blast icon_smile.gif

If he would keep his nose clean <no pun intended> and show up it wouldn't be a problem. Or at the very least stop snorting at work.

Pat Patterson

Garmin 12XL

82CJ7 & 79F250

Herd of Turtles 4x4 club

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
Dagg wrote:

Why can't we do the trip later in September?

I suppose that we could if everyone wants to. Shall we hold off until the ban is lifted and reschedule then?

Count me in. Camping in the fall isn't so bad.

Gorak

Hey all, going later works well for me actually. This weekend turned out to be bad timing and I really want to go on this excursion.

What date is likely? Should we see rain in the next few days, are we looking at the weekends of the 13th, 20th or 27th? (the 20th being my preference).

Alistair

Contrary to public opinion, I am NOT in hiding, or quitting geocaching... I think I took a break twice so far, never quit per se..

ALSO

Mystery Woman is not me, not J5, and not RobertM (though he is kinda 'girly')... nope, MW is TBA's partner!!!! (aka as Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans)

Where shall I find my 200th?

I cannot attend this kayak trip, as I am now working weekends for a few weeks... I had already booked 12 days off to go, and that wasn't a wise move after all...

So, what's the deal then? Are we going on this thing on the 20th? I haven't seen a confirmation other than a few people putting their virtual hands up.

I'll need to rent the kayak, and I want to make sure that we're actually going... and also have enough time in advance so that I get something more than a leaky craft that I have to drag up Indian Arm.

----

Mr Peabody and his fabulous WABAC Machine.

Mr Peabody, we can't say 100% at this time that the event will take place on the 20th as the backcountry ban is still in effect. With the current weather situation, I'm hopeful that the ban will be lifted. I heard on the radio today that the ban on accessing the North Shore mountains has been lifted. I'll call the Forestry Service office tomorrow and find out from them.

I was paddling for five hours on the Arm today (took Pat Patterson to do the three lower caches) in the pouring rain -- it was quite nice.

quote:
Originally posted by MrPeabody:

So, what's the deal then? Are we going on this thing on the 20th? I haven't seen a confirmation other than a few people putting their virtual hands up.

Mr Peabody and his fabulous WABAC Machine.

I'm hoping to go. I have sunday but I still need to confirm sat.

oh ya J5, will poached salmon, potato salad with capers, cucumber salad, and blueberry strawberry whipped cream dessert be served again? The salads were terrific, but I found the salmon a bit dry. If the fire ban is off you should grill it this time.

Pat Patterson

Garmin 12XL

Some have graceland, some have mecca. We have the side of a gravel road in Oregon.... How did we get to be the better off?

Great News!

MrPeabody, you can book that kayak rental now.

I just called the Squamish Forest District and the backcountry ban in Indian Arm has now been lifted.

We're good to go. icon_biggrin.gif

-----

Pat, glad you liked yesterday's lunch. Sorry, but since you complained about the salmon being too dry, you're on your own for your meals from this point forward. This ain't no restaurant man! icon_wink.gif

Cool! cant wait!

On a sad note I just found out that the great Derek Hutchinson is in Victoria this week giving lessons at Ocean River Sports, And I will be out of town icon_frown.gif

oh well he is also giving a lecture next Thursday night. I will try to get his signature on my boat icon_smile.gif (he designed it)

Gorak -- we'll need to be on the water by 9:30AM so you'll need to be there earlier to pack your boat. I plan to be there around 8:00AM. As you mentioned, we'll meet on the beach in front of the Deep Cove Kayak Centre. You'll have to park your car on the street as there is no overnight parking in the nearby parking lots. Shouldn't be a problem finding a parking spot on the street at that hour.

Dagg -- I'd really like to meet Mr. Hutchinson too -- he's a living legend. Maybe we should put this trip off until the following weekend (just kidding). Is your boat a P&H or a Current Design?

quote:
Gorak wrote:

Rain or shine?

I'm fine with the rain. Anyone not have proper gear if it rains? If so, perhaps some of us with extra gear can help out.

I'll be bringing a tarp (about 20' x 24') with me to string up over a cooking/gathering area, anyone else have a large tarp that we can tie up between some trees (or over a tent if waterproofing is questionable?

I have an extra tarp I can bring althought I don't think its as big as yours. I also have an extra paddle jacket (size M) if someone wants to use it. My hatch covers aren't big enough to fit my Coleman stove in, but I can bring it if someone can fit it in another boat. I have lots of extra camping gear...

Gorak

quote:
Dagg wrote:

My hatches are small as well. But I think I can fit my colmen in the cockpit... I hope..

My boat is a barge. If I pack carefully, I can probably fit two Coleman 2 burner stoves between the cockpits of my double and I've still got lot's of room in the hatches.