Canadian Geoquilt///Clarification

300mag

quote:
Originally posted by DxChallenged:

Hey! so it is bleak and rainy here.....just right for sewing..........

I can't wait to get sewing on this quilt......it really seems to be moving along nicely.......

You ain't kiddin'! what a wright-off the Wx is. Hope it's not one of those wet summers like we had a few years back. To add to it, I'm sick as a dog. Don't even have the enthusiasm to read the boards that much, let alone keep the maps updated. Gonna try and pull up my socks and get off to London tomorrow to place some squares in caches.

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

Hey! MajBach...hope you're feeling better. I work with preschoolers and they seemed to all be sneezing on me in mass icon_rolleyes.gif

Hope you are feeling better!

Like I said I have been sewing....I have enough squares done so that by the end of tonight 2 mini quilts (without borders...never can be to careful with borders...lol) will be pieced. I plan on doing 2 different layouts with them. Then I will send them to Cliffy to be posted and the group here can decide on the final layout from the two.

Tweeked my Hobbit cache today...no hits of yet and it's making crazy...I put the most time in this one of any....

Also got geoquilt 2 going.....to be in blue and yellow.....

Gotta go...gotta sew....hope it's good this weekend so we can hit 6 caches....I miss the hiking but right now would get stuck in the muck!

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

Hi again everyone! (...yes, even you Leaf fans..LOL)

Dxchallenged just sent me 2 pictures of different square combinations and asked for your general opinion on which would look best for the finished quilt design.........What do all think? Personally I like them both........hmmmmmmm

Pic no.1

ex1.jpg

or Pic no. 2

ex2.jpg

Cheers, cliffy (dadgum Leafs...^%$#^%!!!!!) lol

-----------------------------------------------------------

sig.jpg

"Whad'ya mean you didn't save the location of the truck?..EEEK!!!..."

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

I don't know... I am kinda partial to option 3...

LOL MrGigabyte!!!!!! Just in case people in here didn't see it could you re-post the "book picture"......the subliminal one?

Cheers icon_smile.gif

PS...but honestly I DO like no.2 myself icon_wink.gif

sig.jpg

Hi Cliffy

I think they both look good!

Hey, we might be able to work a maple leaf motif (nothing to do with "the" leafs Cliffy)into the middle of this. I'm not to handy with graphics but does anybody else remember the Centennial (1967) maple leaf logo? It was composed of 11 triangles (one for each province and one for everything else above the 60th parallel?) It might work pretty well with the red and white triangles in the geoquilt.

Any thoughts on this?

psssst on a side note I gave Dxchallenged Canadian Geocoin #106. Good tip or a bad tip?...Can't be bad seeing as they are REAL Gold right MrGigabyte? (pssssst play along...it'll boost sales) icon_wink.gif

sig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by PDOP's:

does anybody else remember the Centennial (1967) maple leaf logo? It was composed of 11 triangles (one for each province and one for everything else above the 60th parallel?) It might work pretty well with the red and white triangles in the geoquilt.

Any thoughts on this?

Wow!!!!!! I DO remember that PDOP's! hmmmm I think you might have a great idea! I'll try to dig up that old logo and ask Debb what she thinks......I think we might have a winner here!

sig.jpg

[This message was edited by cliffy on May 14, 2002 at 10:13 PM.]

That's the one I was thinking of Mr Gigabyte icon_smile.gif

Wouldn't want to make Dx's job any more difficult than neccessary but scale it down a bit to match the size of the triangles on the quilt squares and maybe could at least get a leaf in the center of the quilt. icon_smile.gif

Well......the design is interesting......but the triangles are a different kind that what I am using....I thought about using it as a quilting design but that would take more time....... and I really wanted to stitch around each triangle that the cachers had signed.........

But here is an alternative suggestion......

What about for the back? When I was in Ottawa I was looking for a linnen tea towel with a map of Canada. I figured that I could use a fabric marker to label cache palcements involved in the quilt.......

But if anyone could find a piece of fabric with the maple leaf on it.....or a tea towel with same ...these could be pieced and put on the back....I am a bit restricted for my design because of the traingles and hwo I have envisioned the quilt looking;;;;;If it gets difficult or tedious....my motivation tends to go down.........

And I don't applique (I have tried that technique...where you cut out a shape an dturn under the edges and zig zag stich or hand sew them down...but I just didn't like doing that....only piece work.....I have an anceint sewing machine that goes forward and back.....no zig zag ......so like I said I'm a bit limited

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

FYI..px number 2 is of a mini quilt that is sewn together......notice how close my intersections are (ok a little bragging but the lessons I took and 2 years of practice have paid off)......If you don't line them up just right...you miss the intersection altogether....I've seen quilt tops that looked like collapsed umbrellas.

Hoping to sew the other together tonight and can send it to Cliffy should it make a difference....

Fearless liked number 2 better also.

Dx

I would like to know where the actual Canada GeoQuilt caches are but have been able to locate only those linked below. I want to maintain a list on my Vancouver cache page.

Does anyone know where the others are?

Vancouver BC

Vancouver Island BC

Hinton AB

Calgary AB

Edmonton AB

Regina SK

Winnipeg MB

Toronto ON

Toronto East ON

Niagra Falls

Ottawa ON

Montreal QC

Labrador NF

Gandor NF

Halifax NS

May 19 - Added Winnipeg and Ottawa

May 23 - Added Niagra Falls

May 23 - Added Regina & Gander

May 31 - Added Edmonton & Labrador

June 17 - Added Montreal

[This message was edited by MrGigabyte on June 17, 2002 at 12:16 PM.]

I would like to propose, for the projects consideration, that all the cache names take the form of "Canada GeoQuilt Project - [Region]" as those (well most) already in place do.

Also, the background quilt image on the page also ties the project together. I would like to suggest that become standard as well for project cache pages.

quote:

I would like to propose, for the projects consideration, that all the cache names take the form of "Canada GeoQuilt Project - [Region]" as those (well most) already in place do.

Also, the background quilt image on the page also ties the project together. I would like to suggest that become standard as well for project cache pages.

I think MrGigabyte's proposal has real merit. For those who have already placed and named their cache, (please don't shoot me...I should have thought of it earlier)perhaps even the addition of a bracketed "Canada GeoQuilt Project - [Your_Region]" might be in order. Once the project is over that part could be removed. The background image certainly is a nice touch which does unify all participants. Anyone who does want to add it to their page (I hope you do...hehe) need only paste the following line at the top of their cache description page:

To add this to an existing cache sinply log in and visit your page, then click edit cache.

Thanks to reastick for the idea:)

Cheers, cliffy icon_smile.gif

sig.jpg

quote:

I would like to know where the actual Canada GeoQuilt caches are but have been able to locate only those linked below.

Looks like you already realize that the caches are on the maps on the volunteer map page. Several have come in since my last update, but up until 10 minutes ago, I have been in New York. Hopefully I'll have them all updated for you all by early tomorrow.

Can you believe the leafs won tonight?!

MajBach

1compass.gif

I had originaly proposed naming your quilt cache by region ie: Ottawa quilt cache. This would help in finding the caches region. Some have posted their cache like that a few have only put their squares in their existing cache . Not a quilt cache. I would prefer having them all in a specified quilt cache. AS for the quilt design I also prefer the second version.

Ps: Don't forget to send me your cache info

TKS 300mag

742_900.jpg

Allright!!!!!! 300Mag and I finally got the Ottawa cache set up:) Currently in queue for approval:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22878

Dang am I tired! We hiked over 18Km today......Much of it involving some fairly decent changes in elevation .....ZZZZZZZZZ (snore)

sig.jpg

I too vote for pattern #2, and have updated my cache with the quilt background. Expected a little more interest for the cache than it has recieved thus far (none). Well the weekend is not yet over. Cheers everyone!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Not to sound like I'm whining or anything (but I am)...

I went down to St. Cats/Niagara Falls yesterday - had to see a customer and wanted to place a quilt cache. I meant to do this last week on my way home from Rochester but the Wx was to wet.

Maybe it's old age creepin' in or something ( although I still have a lot of catching up to reach Cliffy ), but lately I've noticed that I seem to be one of the 'old Grannies' when I'm driving nowadays; puttin' along listening to CBC radio instead of firewalling it to classic 80's rock.

So anyway, I'm about 10 minutes outside St.Catherines making a little effort to keep my pace a little faster than flowing glass but I keep getting 'boxed in' by the same two or three cars. As Billy Crystal used to say ' I really hate when that happens '. So I downshift and take no time in claiming my own patch of highway. Wouldn't you know it, but the 'fuzz' just happens to be coming off their do-nut break underneath the next overpass. Cop had his sirens on before I even knew he was there but I was stopped with documents in hand before he had even merged with traffic.

cop.gif

I never sit and make excuses or whine and I acknowledged I was speeding when he asked. Before he returned to the cruiser, he pauses and asked ' any excuse?' - guess he's so used to getting these. I said, ' I don't believe I could convince you I'm about to give birth, so would any other excuse suffice?'. He chuckled and walked away.

I've been in this situation before and was quite confident he would return after confirming a spotless record and send me on my way with nothing more than a brief scolding. Man, was I wrong.

162 loonies and 3 or 4 points! My first ticket in 17 years! dropmouth.gif

All he could say was, ' it's the weather I think today - be careful next time, we're always sitting under this bridge'.

'Thanks Putz! You made my day', I thought.

calvinfinger.gif

Needless to say, I was in disgruntled postal worker form the rest of the day (whoops - maybe bad analogy - Ha Ha).

Turns out, that was the tip of the iceberg.

I did manage to place a quilt cache down on the Welland canal, but only after finding and inspecting every single detour, construction zone and active lift bridge along the way.

I thought now would be a good time to relax and let my frustrations disappear by hunting a cache -it's been weeks since I've looked for one.

I found one close by and it was the cacher's first cache. It was a 1/1 urban cache and was really well done! Unfortunately, the thick, green, uncut ankle-high grass - which looked harmless enough - managed to cleverly hide about 4" of water underneath in several spots. As I write this, my brand new $120 leather shoes are sitting out in the sun drying. I don't think my feet appreciated spending the next 4 1/2 hours in the not-yet-supple-but-soaking-wet-leather either.

So I continued not so merrily on my way towards the falls, via the 405. I alternated between looking at my GPSr and the side of the road trying to find the exit that will take me south to Niagara, but I can’t seem to find it. The 10 kms of transports lined up single file nose to tail in the right lane didn’t help much either. Before I know it, I’m in line waiting to cross the border and no where else to go. You’ve probably heard that security has increased a little in the past 24 hrs or so at the border. It took just under an hour to let the dozen or so cars in front of me through but still not enough time for me to figure out a way of describing my situation without feeling like a complete moron. She asks the usual few questions before pausing enough to allow me to explain I missed my turn and just wanted to turn around. ‘No problem. Just go up here and make a left and that will take back over the bridge’, she pointed without turning her head. I drove away and got about 500’ but still didn’t see this ‘left’ she was referring to. I looked in my rear-view hoping to see something I missed but rather saw an unmarked Chevy with the burners lit comin’ my way. Two guys in T-shirts exit the car that is now stopped in front of me with their hands on their side-arms just waiting for me to sneeze. sixshooters.gif

Even after I explained to my situation, they insisted on searching everything except a few of my body cavities before pointing out the ‘left’ I was looking for; which was literally less than 50 feet from the Customs booth.

I couldn’t find a paper bag or any other type of mask to hide my face in before returning to Canada Customs, so my Ray-Ban’s had to suffice. This would have been even more useful had I known I about to discover I hadn’t the $3.50 to pay the toll a few hundred feet ahead. I spent my last $40 bucks filling my tank at a bargoon price of $0.612/litre with enough change for a large double/double and a pack of gum (hmm.. about $ 3.50) just outside of Hamilton. Well, I won’t drag this on any further and explain how I got past that mess only to follow a bus running on one cylinder full of Japanese tourists and their Nikons up the Niagara Pkwy only to find out my customer bailed on me only to get caight in traffic on the way home blah blah blah…..

Did I mention I placed a quilt cache in St. Catherines?

banghead.gif

MajBach

1compass.gif

[This message was edited by MajBach on May 23, 2002 at 06:35 AM.]

For a running list of where the Quilt caches are, keep an eye on my post of May 16 to this thread. I have been editing it to add caches as I find out about them. I do this so others may keep a list on their own cache pages if they want to.

It would be a hell of lot easier, if cache owners would post to this thread the cache id of their caches when they hide them.

quote:

It would be a hell of lot easier, if cache owners would post to this thread the cache id of their caches when they hide them.

Actually, I get sent an e-mail directly when a new cache is placed so as to not take up to much bandwidth . I recall people complaining about that in the past. nudge nudge.

MajBach

1compass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MajBach:

Actually, I get sent an e-mail directly when a new cache ...

TO WHO? I don't get any emails re new caches.

quote:

not take up to much bandwidth . I recall people complaining about that in the past. nudge nudge.

You are joking right? Talk about a waste of bandwidth. What about that 5000 word post from someone today in this thread? Oh wait a sec... that was you. :-)

All that whining just proves you are truly a Leaf fan.

[This message was edited by MrGigabyte on May 23, 2002 at 09:12 PM.]

quote:

TO WHO? I don't get any emails re new caches.

To me. Remember? I was doing the maps. The map page contains links to the smaller map areas as well. Each smaller map shows the quilt caches with their ID #s. I suppose that was one to many steps for some. Guess I'll have to learn how to make two browser windows pop-up from one hyperlink.

quote:

You are joking right? Talk about a waste of bandwidth. What about that 5000 word post from someone today in this thread? Oh wait a sec... that was you. :-)

This is true. But I've never complained before about unnecessary bandwidth usage.

quote:
All that whining just proves you are truly a Leaf fan.

I did a lot more whining after tonight's game.

MajBach

1compass.gif

The Labrador GeoQuilt Cache is out!!!!

N52 55.941 W066 59.561 easy find, short hike.

5.55 km on foot from Tim's or 190m from the road.

You pick which one, the highway or the byway!!!

Hidden in a rock, look for the crack, stump sticking out too!!!

Gordon :-)

Gordon Parsons, Labrador

Hey Buddy 11...

As maker of the Canadian geoquilt...

Thanks!

I have the 2 mini ones on my design wall with borders.....Gotta send pictures of em to Cliffy.......

I really enjoy combining my 2 favorite pastimes!

And the nice things people have to say make it all the better!!

DxChallenged

My Vancouver cache has some how changed ownership to DxChallenged, without my being notified, knowledge or consent. As such, I can no longer edit the cache page, nor can any other cache hiders. How did this happen?

As I no longer have access to the cache page, I will be physically removing the cache tomorrow and withdrawing my participation in the project. This is totally unacceptable.

WHOA!!.......Ok don't panic. Mine's gone too. Lemme check what's happening here. I have a feeling that one of the old original ideas for the project has kicked in that had long ago been ruled out. Fret not.....I'm sending out the e-mails STAT.

sig.jpg

[This message was edited by cliffy on June 06, 2002 at 08:06 PM.]

Hey.....I've been a bit busy of late setting up another quilt project. I thought that I had mailed out the last packet yesterday but just heard from another cacher.......I'm 26 blocks over......hmmm..and she's a newbee quilter cacher to boot. Maybe and extra border?

Anyway, Combining family activities, work and new quilt project left little time for checking on this post.....I did the other night......

I must say that I felt very much like MajBach in his post on the 23rd nothing seemed to be going right......All of a sudden my hidden find had tripled....yikes I thought.

The last time something like that happened to me was 7-8 years ago when a posting I wrote on a group I was in, spammed.......over and over I saw my message comming up like too many hills on a roller coaster.

I quick posted Cliffy and 300mag to find out what had happened and went to bed.......with visions of flame wars in my head.........

icon_smile.gif I'm so glad now to see that all is back as before......Honestly I am quite content playing my part in this project.....making up the squares and putting them together once signed. I'm not looking to increase my hidden count or to share in ownership of caches. I really enjoy working up and giving out quilts. Very much the same as the sentiments in a book out called The Quilt Maker's Gift....

I realize that "the blip" in cache ownership has caused some to exit the project......I am sorry for this....but I do have extra blocks left and can send them out should Cliffy and 300mag think we need them. I'm quilting one of the little quilts today. I made up enough extra blocks to make 3 small quilts...one is on it's way to Germany. Cliffy has px of them.....and still I have 20 or so squares left.

Hope you're haveing a much better day majbach. I know I am!! Kids are sleeping, I'll be sewing in a few minutes and 3 caches or on the sched for today!

Dx

[This message was edited by DxChallenged on June 11, 2002 at 11:41 PM.]

Hey. I just received a note from one of the cachers that is participating in tis project. He wanted to know when the squares are due to be returned.

I can't honestly remember if cliffy, 300mag and I settled on a time. But the first geoquilt took just over 3 months to get most of the blocks signed......so that would be around the middle of August.

Does that sound good to everyone?

Honestly, there is no hurry. We are in the middle of selling our home and by then should be in the middle of a move. I won't have my design wall at the new place.......but I'm already working on how I can work one up.

It may take me a bit longer to get the squares sewn together but we will see. I tend to be a lite sleeper and my caseload will be significanlty lower over the summer.

Thanks again to everyone who is participating in this project. I'm thinking that we'll have to drive to Ottawa.......or maybe a caching event in Canada to deliver it.......We had just the best time when we dropped the squares off!!

Dx

quote:
Originally posted by DxChallenged:

-snip-

Does that sound good to everyone?

Honestly, there is no hurry. We are in the middle of selling our home and by then should be in the middle of a move. I won't have my design wall at the new place.......but I'm already working on how I can work one up.

-snip-

Well, I guess I had better get my butt in gear! I still have 2, maybe 3 caches with quilt squares to place. I see that someone from my area has already driven down to St. Cats just to grab a square. Sorry about that. I promise to have at least one in the Cambridge area by day's end.

Also updated the maps today as well.

MajBach

1compass.gif

Hi everybody,

Dx sent me some pics of some "mini-quilts" she made up using some extra squares from the project. These have borders around them and look fantastic:

newquilt.jpg

newquilt2.jpg

newquilt3.jpg

Sorry for taking so long to post these but things have been absolutely mental around here due to changes at work....eeeekkkk

Big thanks to all participants......Looks like things are really coming together:)

sig.jpg

Hey! I'm not sure how many extras I gave Cliffy and 300 mag. but I found a large zip lock with Canadian squares in it the other day (getting our house ready to sell and getting rid of stuff at the same time.....no I never would get rid of extra quilt squares).

So if there are no more extras in your part of the world just let me now and I'll enlist the US side of the postal service to send them out.

DX

Hey! I just got an e-mail from 300 mag. He and the Mrs. are going to be in my fair neck of the woods in a week and a 1/2........ KOOOOLLLLL!!

They're comming to drop off the signed blocks that he has received, check out local caches (ours are the best in Akron ((ok ours are the only ones in Akron but still the best)), and see the sites.

Can't wait and I've been reving up the sewing machine.......Seems I have found his cache that was missing when we went to Ottawa. Or at least several close resemblances.... icon_wink.gif

I'll put all the blocks he brings on the design wall and then post a picture here so you all can see how it looks.

Dx