THE GEOPIRATE HAS LANDED IN BC, II

WILE E.

quote:
Originally posted by Acuracura:

Or at least have the decency to ask the original cache owner first before pirating the cache.

I think Acuracura hit the nail on the head here. The pirate should get permission from the cache owner.

Obviously stealing, plundering, or otherwise seriously damaging the original cache is bad. But in general, I think this new form of pirating is a positive addition to the game if it's done right. So far, of the two we've heard about, it sounds like it was done right. The new pirate cache was easy to find, nearby, didn't harm the environment, etc. I would not be upset if this happened to one of my caches, and I think it would be great to find a cache like that.

However, I can also see a real potential for big problems, some of which others have mentioned. The cache owner might have gotten special permission to place a cache in a certain way or at a certain location. The pirate may not be as knowledgeable about the area as the original hider, and may inadvertently leave the cache contents more open to geo-muggle plundering. Or the cache owner may have other reasons for not wanting his/her cache 'pirated', or have information to share so the pirate can do so responsibly.

If the pirate asks permission from the cache owner first, I don't see any problem at all. It shouldn't reduce the fun for the pirate, as (at least this new version of 'pirating') is aimed at the next finder, not the cache owner. Telling the owner ahead of time shouldn't matter, and can only serve to reduce hard feelings. As it seems this new pirate is trying to have fun while being generous and add something to the game, this should be a good solution.

Thoughts? Opinions? Flaws in this idea? Suggestions for improvement?

SylvrStorm

I'm sure the pirates read the forums. Anyway, maybe they could add another "rule" (call it gentleman's agreement if you like) that a cache may only be "pirated" once. You can't do the same one again within X many months. Otherwise you'll get the same cache getting pirated over and over and over and over. Now to thikn of waht I can tpye to irirttae smoe poelpe. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

cacherunner, Renegade Knight, and Bug and Snake,

So what is a solution that will make *you* happy AND allow the pirates and everyone else that wants to participate, have their fun?

Jomarac5 I think you know my take. There is no way to do this that will make everybody happey. That's real world 101. But I did point out that it can be done so that all is forgiven in the end. Or at least forgiven most of the time.

Nothing can be done that will ever make 100% of everyone happy. Having kids teaches us that. The best that can be hoped for with cache pirates is to make a legend along the lines of the Kissing Bandit who was so charming and dashing that women liked to be robbed by him.

Some people like the cache pirate note so maybe it can be done. Every now and then though even the Kissing Bandit got wacked by a lead lined purse.

quote:
SylvrStorm wrote:

Thoughts? Opinions? Flaws in this idea? Suggestions for improvement?

Asking to pirate a cache is not going to work -- what pirate is going to agree with that? Part of the fun is the element of surprise -- it's not having anyone know where the pirate is going to strike next.

How about this for a solution -- add this graphic to your cache page if you oppose pirates -- all pirates will be expected to honour this badge and stay away from caches that display it:

87227_8400.gif

quote:

Asking to pirate a cache is not going to work -- what pirate is going to agree with that?

You may be right, and, as has been mentioned countless times, when it comes right down to it we can't stop people from pirating in whatever way they want.

But I don't see how asking them to ask the cache owner could hurt. As I said, this new form of pirating is directed at cache finders, not cache owners. You're right that the surprise element is the big draw for the pirate, but it's the reaction from the next finder he/she's looking for, not the owner. Letting the owner in on it shouldn't detract at all from the fun.

This new pirate is clearly taking steps to have their fun in a non-offensive way. It looks to me like they've gone out of their way to ensure the original cache and its owner are not negatively impacted. S/he's not like the old pirate(s), trying to get a rise out of people with no regard for the original game.

This new pirating is really between the pirate and the next finder. The cache owner is a third party, not part of the stunt, yet having a very definite vested interest.

I still like the idea of this new pirating, as long as it's done correctly. And the best way to ensure that (I believe) is for the pirate to contact the cache owner ahead of time.

I'd love for the pirate to voice an opinion. Create a sock puppet if you need to, then give us your take on this discussion.

SylvrStorm

quote:
SylvrStorm wrote:

But I don't see how asking them to ask the cache owner could hurt.

Where's the anonymity in that? The pirate scenario doesn't work if everyone knows who it is.

Where's the problem with putting a graphic on the cache page to indicate that you're not interested in having your cache plundered? Seems to me that this is an easy, simple solution.

quote:

The pirate scenario doesn't work if everyone knows who it is.

I know sock puppets are frowned upon, but I'd see this as a valid use of one. I know there are ways for TPTB to track you down if there's a problem, but that's as it should be. The pirate would be able to remain anonymous from regular cachers while still asking permission.

quote:

Where's the problem with putting a graphic on the cache page to indicate that you're not interested in having your cache plundered?

Yes, that works for those people who don't want the pirate to 'plunder' their caches no matter what. While we could never enforce it, this new breed of pirate strikes me as the sort of person who would respect that.

But does that mean that any cache page without the graphic would welcome the pirate's activity? Obviously not. It's likely the majority of cache owners wouldn't even know about the graphic.

On the other hand, using a graphic like that on some cache pages means there's an implied 'please plunder me' sign on other cache pages. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the sort of message we want to portray.

While the two instances we've seen recently have been benign, and I wouldn't mind seeing that happen to one of my caches, I would like to ensure the pirating were benign before it happened, rather than hope it's okay afterward.

So far this form of pirating hasn't caused any real problems. It seems the pirate thought it out carefully and planned it that way. I think it's fair to assume the pirate is specifically trying not to cause problems, and we can assume s/he is a basically good-willed person. How do you think they will feel when a cache they've 'plundered' really does go missing, because of what they've done? That's why I think it's a better idea to run it by the cache owner first.

Still wishing the pirate, who I'm sure is following this discussion, would chime in.

SylvrStorm

SylvrStorm,

I don't know if this new pirate would honor the wishes of people who don't want to have their caches plundered or not, but like yourself, he strikes me as the sort that would. It's obvious that he wants to make this work or he would have simply taken the caches or plundered them in the same manner as the Washington pirate.

From the experience that I had with the pirate plundering my cache, it was very benign. Frankly, when I first opened the cache and saw the note, I was pretty miffed as I thought it was the same scenario as what recently went on in Washington. After following the instructions and seeing that nothing was harmed or taken, I thought it was quite cool and fun. In fact, I left it there for the next person to find. If you e-mail me, I'll tell you which cache it is, and if you'd like, you can take a look at how it was done for yourself.

I can't answer your question of whether or not he'd be open to contacting the owner first, but from my discussions with the pirates at piratecaching.com, they seem very adamant about keeping their identities unknown, any contact with the cache owner could compromise that.

I also doubt that the pirate is going to post on these forums. Previous pirates have already been banned from the site for posting. It might be better if you have questions for the pirates, that you post them on www.piratecaching.com -- that's where they all are.

quote:

How about this for a solution -- add this graphic to your cache page if you oppose pirates -- all pirates will be expected to honour this badge and stay away from caches that display it:

87227_8400.gif

You of course, have consulted with the owners of geocaching.com right? They have asked you to float out a trial balloon on their behalf?

quote:
Originally posted by cachewidow:

(sp? - spellcheck me, would ya mbc icon_biggrin.gif).

"Thank you for calling Mom's Travel Service. Guilt Trips our specialty. Where would you like to go today?"

I really am sorry to be off topic here, folks. Won't happen again.

Cachewidow, the "Loose" thing is the only grammatical error I am aware of that just sends me scurrying for a thesaurus. All others are forgiven forthwith, as I, too, hated Third Grade Grammar. RobertM is a great cacher, but he just happened to push the L button. To atone, I will bring souvenirs for you, V and C-royd and d RobertM from the Spokane Cache Machine. Eroyd will have to make do, as I have never seen anything but perfection from both his writing and diction. icon_biggrin.gif

To the topic at hand: It seems that several people have suggested compromises to the "Pirate" concept. I believe these should be passed on to admin, as a possible replacement for the now grandfathered traveling caches. (The one here on Vancouver Island was great fun. I think it was THE most sought after cache without monetary incentive.) If Pirating gets that going again in a small way, great. If not, it can still be a valid class of caches in its own right.

Hmmm..I just thought of something (Ouch). I wonder if that knave No-Beard is behind all of this? Perhaps we could finally bring him and his scurvy crew to justice once and for all.

globe.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

I'm sorry, I don't understand how the pirating is fundamentally different from any other geocaching. I am new to geocaching, so I am certainly open to feedback about this, but earlier this week I enjoyed following pirate clues and "rescuing" a cache here in Washington.

Here's what I've seen:

Geocaching:

- find the cache

- sign the log and return it to the cache

- put a trade item in the cache (optional)

- take something from the cache (only if put something)

- rehide it where it was

- log the find on geocaching.com

Pirate caching:

- find the cache

- "sign the log" (with a sticker in the case I saw) and return it to the cache

- put a card, letter, map, and some trinkets in the cache (trade items)

- take all the other trade items in the cache

- rehide the cache (with log) where it was

- rehide the entire contents somewhere else (with additional pirate loot)

- log clues on piratecaching.com for someone to find and "rescue" the contents (sometimes a delay on the clues)

From a cache owner's perspective, what is the difference? The contents of the cache are intended to be traded. The pirates seem to be ultimately giving more to the game than they are taking (especially in BC) which is more than I can say for some regular geocachers (based on the contents of caches compared to the published original contents).

I have chosen the spot for placing my first cache and I would like to hear comments on this before I do. What is really the controversy? What is at the root of people feeling violated?

Peace be with you!

charis sophia

Oh aye, me 'earties, me thoughts were t'same exact ones. Where be dat scurvy dog, an' 'is curs'd pack o' rats? T'fathr o' all talkers of t'pi-rat lang'ig. 'ere's a widda what's been awonderin' hows t'wether on't other wet coast? Well, No Beard?

"Thank you for calling Mom's Travel Service. Guilt Trips our specialty. Where would you like to go today?"

Actually, it wasn't my cache that was plundered. I was planning a day trip to Anacortes and one of the caches I planned to go to had been plundered, but the clues to the location were posted on the pirates web page.

It was practically on the way for me, so I decided to treat it as a multi-cache. The clues were easy to follow and the pirate trinkets were fun. According to my topo map, it was a little over 3 miles as the crow flies from the loot to the cache, maybe 5 miles by road. There are two "official" multi-caches in Anacortes that I think are spread even farther than that.

The whole pirating issue really flared a week or two ago and the reaction was pretty strongly negative. Someone did mention the same point I brought up, but it wasn't picked up in discussion. I kept seeing accusations of removing caches, trashing them, and other things like that, but it seems to me that those activities aren't the pirates. I think those are pure vandalism by geo-muggles or inconsiderate cachers, but my only evidence is the lack of the pirate cards and that isn't much evidence. Of course, I tend to be the half-full glass type anyway. icon_smile.gif

Peace!

Charis

Just to strengthen my case:

quote:
By Jomarac (In another forum):

BrianSnat, I'd be interested in hearing about how the cache was plundered. Can you fill us in on the details?

I'd really like to know why you must know all the details.

~ Curiosity Killed the Cat ~

Some things are provided on a "Need to know basis. Jomo, you don't need to know"

Did have intentions on copying the pirate?

quote:
By Jomo (In another forum):

What an awesome idea Jeepers Keepers. (Ed- In reference to placing cache items a couple of meters away and leaving a note in the physical cache where to find them) I like it. I like it a lot.

In fact, I've been working on something similar.

These little side ideas are what makes caching so much fun.

Sounds like piracy Jomo. We all know you like it alot! icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Geo-Trekker

A man with a GPS knows where he is...A Man with two GPS's is never sure!

quote:
charis_sophia wrote:

I kept seeing accusations of removing caches, trashing them, and other things like that, but it seems to me that those activities aren't the pirates.

I tend to agree. It doesn't appear that the pirates here or in Washington are trying to be malicious. There are caches in our area that have gone missing in the last little while and I've heard some grumblings from a few that are pointing fingers at this new pirate, but as you suggest, I don't think that's the case here either.

The pirate up here seems to be very upfront about his intentions. I just read his response to SylvrStorm over at www.piratecaching.com and he seems to be quite reasonable and has a sense of fair play. I hope that people will at least give this thing a chance -- it's a whole lot better than someone running around stealing caches.

quote:
posted September 19, 2003 11:20 AM

I'm sorry, I don't understand how the pirating is fundamentally different from any other geocaching.

Here's what I've seen:

Geocaching:

- find the cache

- sign the log and return it to the cache

- put a trade item in the cache (optional)

- take something from the cache (only if put something)

- rehide it where it was

- log the find on geocaching.com

Pirate caching:

- find the cache

- "sign the log" (with a sticker in the case I saw) and return it to the cache

- put a card, letter, map, and some trinkets in the cache (trade items)

- take all the other trade items in the cache

- rehide the cache (with log) where it was

- rehide the entire contents somewhere else (with additional pirate loot)

- log clues on piratecaching.com for someone to find and "rescue" the contents (sometimes a delay on the clues)

The bolded area is where it's different. I re-iterate: What if someone has travelled to your cache from out of town,doesn't have immediate access to a computer, is not aware of 'pirating', and doesn't want to go traipsing around looking for the rest of the cache? What if they're 'closeminded' icon_wink.gif, like me, and just want to enjoy the cache as is, as it was originally intended?

BUT- I like the idea of:

icon_biggrin.gif

compass.gif Real cachers don't smell like Fleecy.

quote:
posted September 17, 2003 02:12 PM

Hi zuuk.

I haven't had a find in over four months because I've been out of the country working and I just returned on the 5th of September. You can even ask Mariner BC and Cacherunner, they knew of my absence.

Hello geo-trekker,

Was it they who supplied you with the GPS co-ordinates for the two false TEAM KFWB GPS(DOT) caches on vancouver island?

Pay attention to me, boy! I'm not just talking to hear my head roar! - Foghorn Leghorn

Someone is posting with my username over on the pirate site (apparently you don't have to sign in there). My guess is that it's the sock puppet above who goes by the name THE GINGERBREAD MAN.

Just to let everyone here know, I have not posted anything on that website, nor do I plan to. If I do however, have reason to post on that site, I will mention it here.

cacherunner, glad you like the 'no pirates' button. You can use it if you want, as can anyone else.

I'm out of here for a couple days for the kayak event cache. Have a good weekend everyone.

Well this is interesting. I just received an e-mail from Captain Urchin.

He said that he received the following message and thought that I'd like to know about it as he didn't think it sounded like me. It seems as though someone has set up a hotmail account called Jomarac5 with the e-mail address piratecacher@hotmail.com.

This is the message that Captain Urchin forwarded to me (message is in italics):

To : captain_urchin@hotmail.com

Subject : Pirate Caching and a partner in crime

Date : Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:19:32 +0000

Aye Aye Captain,

A commendation of your work...Good job on th' pirate caches. Say, If you're lookin' fer a partner in crime, let me kn'w.

I love this new concept.

Jomarac5

P.S. I'm still in school, how about yourself? I got to Lord Byng in Vancouver...You?

Sound like anybody we know?

quote:
Hello geo-trekker,

Was it they who supplied you with the GPS co-ordinates for the two false TEAM KFWB GPS(DOT) caches on vancouver island?

Well, Foggy, just stopped by to stir the pot, did you? icon_wink.gif First, I wager that GeoTrekker got the co-ords the way we all did-there's this website called 'Geocaching.com', you see, and it's really cool, because they post co-ordinates on these things called 'cache pages'. You should try it some time! By the way, I see you have been out of town for a while too. icon_wink.gif

Jomarac: I believe I will use the image, if you don't mind-goodness knows I wouldn't want to 'pirate' anything! icon_biggrin.gif Sorry to hear about your dilemma-trust me, I know what it's like to be falsely accused of something (see above)

I've read the discussion between Captain Urchin and SylverStorm on the piratecaching.com website. That looks like a good way to keep everyone happy. I'd give permission to have my caches "plundered"/pirated in that way.

Would anyone else give the pirate permission to have their caches pirated in that way?

I like the idea of the 'Pirate Free Zone' picture. Of course, not everybody knows about it, but its a start. Perhaps the pirate and geocaching.com can work together to create a new option ie. when creating a new cache there should be a 'Pirate' option with a pull tab Yes or No. Although I disagree with the moving of all of a cache's contents, this pirate appears to have good intentions and pleasing everyone is impossible. At least now the pirate has some indication of whether or not to pirate or not to pirate a cache.

-edit- I just updated my one and only cache page noting it should not be pirated. Does anybody know how to make the 'Pirate Free Zone' picture actually show up as a picture instead of a link? Tennis-Ball Cache

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

- VE7DPT

Vancouver, BC, Canada

[This message was edited by Acuracura on September 19, 2003 at 10:33 PM.]

I've been in contact with several of the guys outside of these forums to discuss the pirating that has been going on. I'm still waiting for some to get back to me but it seems everyone's of the same general opinion on this, i.e. no real harm is been done, so that's a good thing. At least our pirate is a more cache-friendly one than the one in Washington.

As long as he gets permission before hand there's no problem.

No one is "loosing" icon_wink.gif any sleep over anything. (Sorry MBC, I have to do that each time now.)

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

quote:
Originally posted by RobertM:

No one is "loosing" icon_wink.gif any sleep over anything. (Sorry MBC, I have to do that each time now.)

But of course, mon ami. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Foghorn Leghorn:

You can even ask Mariner BC and Cacherunner, they knew of my absence.

Hello geo-trekker,

As all who know me are aware, I am the most diabolical cacher the sport has ever known, Foghorn. If you'll recall, you even tried to have me banned from geocaching.com because I so offended you. Goodness knows I deserve it, I suppose. As far as Geo-Trekker goes, I too, falsely accused him of the same crime, which I later learned he had nothing to do with. It was one of the most shameful things I have ever done in my life, and I have since apologized to him in writing. Having said that, understand this very clearly.

You may flame ME at your convenience, however, you may NOT make mindless accusations at friends of mine whom you do not know. As a book of fiction I once read said. "Judge ye not, lest ye be judged", and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Geo-Trekker is a very avid cacher who has great enthusiasm for the sport. Back off.

Hi MBC,

Mind enlightening us all with the whole TEAM KFWB GPS(DOT) story? Everyone knows it was him as the caches were placed under his (geo-trekker's) ID. I can place a cache and in the placer name put MarinerBC, but if you click on it it'll show you the true profile of who placed the cache.

I don't understand how Geo-Trekker is claiming his innocence on this.

I think everyone is owed an explanation of the truth. With so much "real" evidence pointing to him on that one it's kinda difficult to believe other wise.

With Jomarac5 on the other hand with this whole pirate thing... I have yet to see conclusive proof that he is the pirate. Pharmadude has been accused. It could be Canadazuuk, or the VT cache owner, even me, or even Geo-Trekker. There's no proof on any of this yet. Until there is we can all continue to point fingers at each other. I believe that's wrong though. We are all innocent until proven guilty, unlike geo-trekker and his thinking of we are all guilty until proven innocent.

RobertM

quote:
Mind enlightening us all with the whole TEAM KFWB GPS(DOT) story? Everyone knows it was him as the caches were placed under his (geo-trekker's) ID. I can place a cache and in the placer name put MarinerBC, but if you click on it it'll show you the true profile of who placed the cache.

I don't understand how Geo-Trekker is claiming his innocence on this.

I think everyone is owed an explanation of the truth. With so much "real" evidence pointing to him on that one it's kinda difficult to believe other wise.

OK, I did a bit of digging-not a lot really, it was pretty easy, and I found

This thread and The profile in question and This is banned?

Where's the 'real' evidence? I don't see the proof that it was G-T, and like you, I'm a firm believer of innocent until proven guilty. Granted, I do not condone his accusations of Pharmadude and the many others. That's not right, either. Where I believe MBC was going with his thread was, not only was Foghorn Leghorn rehashing an ancient issue, he was accusing us of being co-conspirators.

You may be aware of something I'm not, but I still don't see any proof of G-T being the Fake KFWB Team. Doesn't really matter to me, being so much water under the bridge, but since you brought it up, I thought I would offer my final thoughts on it. Let's leave it all, shall we? icon_biggrin.gif Thanks! 'nuff said. Hope all you kayakers have an awesome trip, and I'm sure you'll have great stories upon your return!

[This message was edited by cacherunner on September 20, 2003 at 01:44 PM.]

RobertM, the TEAM KFWB GPS. userid was a unique id with it's own account. Two caches were put out with it. The underscore in the id was added by admin for clarity (after things were shut down).

Jeremy matched the IP to another user, and identified some unique items in the profile (of the time)...

This however, is not the place to discuss this old news.

(edit: one more thread to review)

[This message was edited by canadazuuk on September 21, 2003 at 03:24 AM.]

Oh yes, that's correct. Jeremy tied him to it.

I've e-mailed Geo-Trekker cause I told him I'd like to discuss this whole thing with him but he seems to ignore my e-mails.

Anyway, I'm off again. Just stopped by the computer quickly to catch up on the latest happenings in the Geocaching Soap Opera. icon_wink.gif I wonder what's happening in the next episode?!

Hi RobertM,

On a Friday evening when I'm called out to do an 15Hr SAR Response, I can't always get back to you right away...Especially when as soon as I get home (At 10 am this morning) I need get some rest.

We all have busy lives and just because you don't get a reply to your e-mails right away doesn't mean that the person is ignoring you.

I'll talk to you later...

Cheers,

Geo-Trekker

A man with a GPS knows where he is...A Man with two GPS's is never sure!

I've had a few days to think this issue over. At first, I was pretty ticked off that someone would steal my cache. (taking without permission is stealing, no matter how you look at it) Further, I thought it was just rude to tamper with something that someone has placed with purpose and care. In other words, don't mess with that which is not yours.

However, after listening to comments from both sides, seeing an explanation of what it is actually about, I think I have changed my mind. It seems like fun, and the cacher gets something extra for the extra work. Sure, there are issues that are outstanding...the stealing, the possibility that the contents won't get replaced, the chance that the pirate's second location will get plundered, and the owner will lose their contents... but all in all, it seems like fun. I would like to be the cacher who finds one of these.

That being said...we simply have to respect that this is a change in the way the game is played. Some people didn't sign up for this aspect and it should not be forced upon them. The idea of a symbol is a good one, however I do not feel that it should be a "no pirate" zone, but it should instead be a "Pirate Frienly zone"

As there is a modification in the game, the onus should be on those wishing the change. The people who like the pirate activity should be the ones to go to the trouble to give permission, and thus place a permission symbol on their sites. The people who don't want it should not be inconvenienced.

Above all, let's all respect the feelings of the other cachers, and make sure that the game is still friendly and fun. ok? icon_smile.gif

"You are cleared for geocaching."

You have to realize that you must ask gc.com to advocate the pirate concept if you want to see it carried out in any uniform manner. But the point of the pirate site is to short-cut through rules and regs. I fail to see where the platforms merge.

Again, my feelings about the concept as it was played out on Vancouver Transit are not relevant. You need to have a look at what is happening elsewhere in the geocaching world to get a balanced view.

Also, keep in mind that the piratecaching message board is full of messages claiming to be written by the likes of UMC, Geo-Trekker, Jomarac5 et al, when in fact some of these are NOT from those people.

Opting in or opting out of the pirate concept is not the debate. A nice little image on the cache page is not the issue.

Unless you can get agreement from the owners of gc.com and the geocaching community at large to open up the caches listed on THIS site to the pirate concept, you will face many troubles. Yes, the cachers own the caches. But gc.com could choose to suspend listed caches that openly invite 'pirating'.

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Trekker:

On a Friday evening when I'm called out to do an 15Hr SAR Response, I can't always get back to you right away...Especially when as soon as I get home (At 10 am this morning) I need get some rest.

We all have busy lives and just because you don't get a reply to your e-mails right away doesn't mean that the person is ignoring you.

I'll talk to you later...

Nope, you are ignoring me. I still haven't heard from you or received an e-mail. Seems you don't want to discuss your innocence with me. I'm willing to listen but you are choosing not to talk about it. I don't know. I'm giving you a chance to clarify things. Maybe you only talk to those who you can pull the wool over their eyes?

So you did a SAR. Interesting. I didn't know they have kids involved in that. Must be a new thing, or what? Unless... no, nothing.

RobertM

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Unless you can get agreement from the owners of gc.com

I think getting agreement from the owners of gc.com has nothing to do with it. The caches are ours, not gc.com's. We merely list them on this site. As such, the people who place the caches should be making up the rules as to what they'd like and not like. Gc.com is just a listing database. It's like a realtor's website. They list houses. They don't tell the house owners what they are allowed to do and not with their houses. (Yes, you can guess what I was looking at today. icon_smile.gif )

With all this pirate talk going on I've got "Arrr" in my head all the time. I keep on thinking in "Pirate". I think I should listen to the radio so I can hear a song and get this pirate out my head. But then I'll have to try and get that tune out my head. Arrrr! icon_wink.gif

I think I need to stop reading the forums for another week. I've gone over my weekly dose. icon_wink.gif

RobertM, your reply button is stuck! icon_wink.gif

The caches do belong to the cache owners, as is obvious. But the database does not. If the listing database owner chooses to de-list your cache because you circumvent the rules of their database, then you have received what you deserve.

And I'm NOT sorry at all to say that geocaching.com is MORE than just a listing database. Why you feel it is JUST a listing database is anyone's guess.