A little off topic.....but a thought

Bradinn

I was flipping through some of the older posts on the site tonight, and I came across a couple of threads in the unusual stories message board about unusual places found while cacheing, and another regarding wreckchasing.

It struck me as something fairly interesting, and there were several links to sites which contain approximate coordinates for plane crashes, ghost towns, mines, and one of the ones that looked the most interesting, abandoned Nike/Hercules missile launch sites. Unfortunately there were no links that I could find that had anything even remotely Canadian. A bit of quick net searching proved equally unenlightening.

The idea quite struck me however, and I find myself wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of any sites, or books along this line for Canada? I think I'm hitting that stage in my life (and of course, geocaching seems to be helping it along) where the regular tourist sites just aeren't doing it anymore, and I am finding myself looking for something a little more interesting or challenging to go looking for.

Any thoughts?

Gord,

Team Bradinn

"When I was a young man, I journeyed to the West to find myself......it turns out I had the wrong coordinates."

There used to be a Bomarc Missile base in La Macaza. I think the area is now used as a penitentiary, or maybe it has been completely abandoned.

This link has many photo albums on it, many are just photos of people that used to work the base etc, some are a bit more interesting (aerial photos, missiles, silos, etc)

http://www.pinetreeline.org/misc/bomarc/bomarc2.html

GPComd

Contents under pressure, do not puncture.

Braddinn try doing a search on the internet relative to Metal Detecting hobbyists. In a former life I partook in this activity for a couple of years (still have the unit) and remember reference material on ghost towns in Ontario. It was probably in book form then as the web surfing craze had not started yet. (dating myself here)

Actually you have peaked my interest. It would be fun to seek out these spots with my GPSR's help and then metal detect once there for old coins etc.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

Hey thanks for all the great suggeestions, you have given me hours of wonderful internet searching to do during those long boring times at work.......

I'm glad I was able to peak your interest Olar, actually this whole question came about (as I mentioned) from a reference in a topic in the unusual hunts forum, and it got me to thinking, the other half of Team Bradinn (my wonderful and understanding wife) and I are constantly looking for interesting and new places to go see. And the usual tourist traps are getting tired...and too crowded for my tastes. I want to see something with a real bit of history in it, that not everyone sees. And of course, it's a great way to plan a geocaching roadtrip, pick an interesting spot for the destination, and cache along the way.....so I guess it's not really as off topic as I originally thought.

In my searching however I have come across some very interesting things, including one in particular that had caught my attention some years ago...Urban Spelunking (in abandoned tunnels and subway lines) Here is a really interesting link I found that might be of interest to those in the Toronto area, as it has some good stories about tunnels and lines in Toronto: http://www.infiltration.org/

Mind you, the link is for interest only, since I'm sure that the whole thing is as illeagle as anything......

Gord.

Team Bradinn

"When I was a young man, I journeyed to the West to find myself......it turns out I had the wrong coordinates."