MetroGuide® Canada v4

Acuracura

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/mgCanada.jsp

We've been waiting a long time and it'll soon be available. Finally some detailed road maps of places like Whistler, BC and also major cities in Alberta.

GPScity.ca has it for $139.95 and should have it by October 20th. GPScentral.ca has it for $134.95 and should have it sometime in November. Both retailers offer advance orders at no extra cost.

Can someone please explain DMTI Spatial data? As I understand it, Garmin got the maps from a different vendor which used this new and better technolody for greater detail and accuracy?

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

- VE7DPT

Vancouver, BC, Canada

I'm surprised that GPSCity would get them before GPSCentral. It looks like GPSCentral is the major dealer here in Canada since they are the only source for the free update CDs. Of course you still get the unlock codes from Garmin.

I got the GPS V so I am actually waiting for my City Select Version 5.0 which finally includes Edmonton.

I just bought the older one (MetroGuide with Roads & Rec, Version 3.0.1) in August. So I sent an email to Garmin asking about upgrade/discount offers on this, since I had bought the older one so recently.

They have offered to sell me the new one for $US 15 plus shipping (another $US 11), which I have decided is pretty darn fair. They said that because I had bought it so recently, they only needed to cover their royalties on the map data.

I've checked out the preview and it looks like there is good detail for all the cities (I looked at Whitehorse, Edmonton & Halifax as examples).

I'm waiting for it to come in my mailbox in a few weeks...

Hmm...that is a very good deal indeed. Garmin seems to have their Customer Service right on track. I think their suggested retail is $116 and you are getting yours for $26!

I checked out the detail of Metroguide Canada using their mapviewer and I am impressed on the coverage. They pretty much cover the entire country and have street details even for small towns like Revelstoke, BC. They mispelled my street though but I guess no map can be perfect icon_smile.gif I am sure NavTech's data has some few errors in there somewhere.

But since I am getting the upgrade to city select V5 for free, I guess I have to live with that until I have the budget to buy the Metroguide Canada v4 as a supplement.

I had a look at the online viewer and the new version does seem much more complete - although it doesn't seem to have Calgary in street level detail, although it has added the POI. What I'd like to know is if the Enhanced Basemap portion has now been calibrated properly. I live in Southern Ontario and once outside of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) the EBM can be really out of whack - so much so that it becomes rather confusing to navigate some areas.

quote:
Originally posted by Coupar-Angus:

I had a look at the online viewer and the new version does seem much more complete - although it doesn't seem to have Calgary in street level detail, although it has added the POI. What I'd like to know is if the Enhanced Basemap portion has now been calibrated properly. I live in Southern Ontario and once outside of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) the EBM can be really out of whack - so much so that it becomes rather confusing to navigate some areas.

I can relate with you on the basemap, Coupar-Angus. Often when driving up to whistler on the sea-to-sky highway (route 99), I find the GPS telling me I'm in the water. Unfortunately the eMap's roadlock feature doesn't work outside the metro areas.

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

- VE7DPT

Vancouver, BC, Canada

quote:
Originally posted by Coupar-Angus:

The street level detail only appears in the viewer when zoomed to at least 0.5 mi and when More detail is selected. I think the street details appear at 0.3 mi zoom whether or not More details is selected. And the same is true when viewing City Select v5.

If Revelstoke has street details, I would expect a city like Calgary to have details too.

Okay on Calgary. I must have had it set to *less* detail. I work in Toronto but travel to Calgary a little - but only enough to actually need my GPS to get around. icon_smile.gif Mind you, my partner and I found Hooters without the aid of the GPS. icon_wink.gif Getting back to the task at hand..... I noticed an interesting thing with *Lock to Road*. If you have it turned on and have the Roads & Rec maps loaded, with the Enh Basemap underneath, it will lock to the EBM roads. As mentioned before, these are quite out of whack so the resultant track can be truly bizarre!! After I upgraded my memory I just left the Metroguide in there all the time and hence don't have this problem. One might ask what the benefit is of running EBM under R&R or Metroguide. Well, I'm a mountain biker and the rather dated maps of EBM show closed roads and decommissioned railway rights-of-way and can be quite handy. Quite handy for Geocaching too I might add. icon_smile.gif

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I believe the map on Garmin's page shows all the data from DMTI Spatial, more then what is going to be included with the new software.

The map is being driven by DMTI Spatial's map server and therefor shows ALL their data. If you notice the checkbox 'Show Coverage Areas' in the popup window, you can turn this on and off. The areas garmin supports are in red. As you zoom in to more detail the red goes away is some areas indicating the detail level will NOT be that high in that area on the Garmin disk.

To see what I mean go to the Toronto area of the map at a scale of 30 mi. The click on more detail/less detail and you can see the areas of coverage change.

Garmin should explain this better or there are going to get a lot of unhappy customers!

FarSideX

Took tupperware container - Left nothing.

Hmmmm... not too impressed so far. Just had a look at the Victoria/Western Communities area. Not only are most of the streets missing names, (at all zoom levels in either detail level) but they have an airport symbol over Race Rocks, as well as several in the downtown core. Given the price that Garmin charges for their software, I can't see that it has much to recommend it. Much better off with S&T for a lot less money!

Ok I got my reply. At first they misunderstood what I ment, then I sent a capture. Garmin did not know the city polygons were overwriting the 'pink areas'. All the detail shown is included on the maps and the city polygons showing through is just a bug.

FarSideX

Took tupperware container - Left nothing.