Is premium membership worth it?

tirediron

Just wondering if it is worth the cost of becoming a premium member? There don't seem to be many Members Only caches in my area (Sourthern Vancouver Island). My main interest would be for downloading .GPX files. Can anyone tell me exactly what information I would (will) get when I download the .GPX file for a particular cache page? Thanks smile.gif

There are no members caches in my area either but membership is still well worth the cost. The pocket queries are the best feature and the freeware that's available allows you to do a lot with the files generated.

The pocket query generator allows you to compile a list of caches based on criteria you set and get the results emailed to you in one file. If you have a PDA you can go with

paperless geocaching.

Being able to customize your avatar title is nice too. icon_biggrin.gif

PDOP's GPS Pages

Having all the nearby and not so nearby caches in your old Palm is great. You can go caching anytime, anywhere and would not have to worry about having a printout of the cache page. Now, if only I would remember to bring my dadgum Palm with me when I head out for the trails icon_biggrin.gif

Premium membership is also a nice way to support the site that obviously needs money to keep on running. You can consider it as charity to a worthy cause if you enjoy geocaching a lot.

You can get some sample GPX files from www.topografix.com/gpx_sample_files.asp.

You will want to read the other stuff on the GPS eXchange Format too, like the applications that you can use with GPX files.

Try some of this out first and then decide if it adds something to how you geocache. I think you'll be convinced that it is worth it.

No matter where you go, there you are

quote:
Originally posted by The Wet Coast Explorers:

You can get some sample GPX files from http://www.topografix.com/gpx_sample_files.asp.

You will want to read the other stuff on the http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp too, like the applications that you can use with GPX files.

Try some of this out first and then decide if it adds something to how you geocache. I think you'll be convinced that it is worth it.

_No matter where you go, there you are_

If the above sample is not sufficient, I can email you one of my gpx files unless PDOP already did icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by tirediron:

Thansk all - You're 100% correct on the support aspect of it, and I was already leaning that way. It's certainly a small price to pay; can you give me some idea of exactly what info you get from a .GPX file vs. .LOC file? Do you get logs, hints, maps, difficulty ratings or, or, or?

Yes you get all of that and can sort by any parameter. This is a page generated by Spinner from a GPX file and viewed in my browser.Spinner.jpg

PDOP's GPS Pages

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

I became a paying member to support the site.

Once I started using pocket queries, I could not do without them.

I agree. What's 3 bucks a month to support a site that you use regularly. On top of that add the fact that you're addicted to geocaching and it's cheaper than smokes or booze!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by tirediron:

quote:
Hold on. This site sucks so just get the BMer! icon_biggrin.gif
bad_boy_a.gif You missed the whole point... Pocket Queries for me or a Beemer for the missus...

:startjoke

Hmm. I'd say if you have to think about a $3 a month expense then you probably can't afford that BMW either!

:endjoke

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Well, I'm happy to say that I bit the bullet today and became a premium member. I downloaded a test file of 500 waypoints, in GPX format, then loaded tham all into my palm pilot, via Cachemate, of which I also recently became a registered user. I am thrilled. I had been doggedly copying information into text files and had even written a little conversion macro, to convert it into Cachemate format, but this eliminates ALL of that. I am thrilled with the GPX download and I am thrilled to be able to support Geocaching.com.

Cheers!

Ian. icon_cool.gif