How do I find letterboxing hybrids?

MrsEK

You're a basic member, so I don't know if what I can do on the map is what YOU can do on the map. But here's how I find them:

Go to the browse map: https://www.geocaching.com/map/#?ll=43.00000,-78.00000&z=13 (and go to your area)

On the left sidebar it has "filterable cache types". Click the colored dot on the first 4 rows, which will fade them out and hide all those cache types from the map.

On the left sidebar, click the dark blue Mystery icon and Wherigo icon (the 1st and 3rd dark blue icons).

This should leave the map with only LBHs.

Zoom in/out and pan around to find them.

I hope that 'girl scouts' will do less damage than boy scouts when they visit. Such as "we kidnapped the bear". That was a trackable (not mine) I had just dropped off to the cache. The bear trackable has never been heard from since. I contacted the boy; no answer. I contacted the person who appeared in charge; no answer.

I hope no scouts ever go near my caches. Even if they don't do any harm that day, some can return later with friends, because they no know where it is.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2

On the site, using Search, https://www.geocaching.com/play/search 

filter for cache type. It's one of the few filters that Basic Members can use.  Scroll down on the filters page to see it, just check Letterbox, and that's all it will return

You should have a home location that's central to where you want to be hunting entered into your profile. If you have none, it will return all in the world. I see you own a cache, in that case, likely you do have home coords, and Search will use those. I think you may be able to alter that center on Search, but I'm less sure.

Letterbox hybrids on Geocaching.com can have the underlying type of Traditional, ie cache at coords with stamp (commonest), Multi (ie, go somewhere, get info that goes to cache with stamp), or Mystery (solve, figure out something that leads to cache with stamp).

22 hours ago, MrsEK said:

I haven't gone geocaching in a long time, but my girl scouts group is trying to pick up letterboxing. Is there a list of any hybrid caches?

I signed in with my basic member account to check.  What you need to do is go to the main geocaching.com page, and click on Filters to the right of the search bar.  Scroll down to the cache types, select Letterbox, and hit Apply.  This will give you a list of Letterbox caches near you.  

Remember that you, as a basic member, won't be able to see Letterbox caches via the geocaching app (the app restricts most cache types from basic members).  So make sure to get the coordinates via the website.  If you want to use a phone to find the cache, plug the coordinates into Google Maps or some other GPS app.  Of course, if you have a GPS receiver, use that.

I hope this helps.

Edited by GeoElmo6000
Bad grammar

I would also recommend you read the cache description for the LBH before you go, to see if you have to print-out the cache description page (if you are unable to see it on the geocaching app).  My LBHs have you start at a particular coordinates, but then you follow the story line to get to the final cache.  So if you go to just the coordinates and look for the LBH,  you will not find it.  It has happened to one of my LBH's and I was going to email the experienced cacher (after the DNF), but they eventually tried again with another cacher who helped them figure out what needed to be done. I have also seen some LBHs that have you project coords/distances from a certain spot at the end of the "story" to get to the final cache location.   

Good luck.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1