Virtual Cache Declined

Decodoppler

I have just had a submission for a Virtual Cache in the GTA declined because "the cache already exists." Well, I have looked in all the regular places and can't find anything close that remotely resembles my submission... suggestions

DD

"Either that wallpaper goes or I do!"

Send a (polite) email to the admin who declined it asking which cache s/he is comparing yours to. Don't argue your case yet - wait until you know which cache they're referring to and have a chance to read it over.

It may be that they're right, and there's one that you somehow missed. But if you still think yours is unique, you'll be able to put together a clear and specific argument for why yours is different.

SylvrStorm

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

quote:
Originally posted by SylvrStorm:

Send a (polite) email to the admin who declined it asking which cache s/he is comparing yours to. Don't argue your case yet - wait until you know which cache they're referring to and have a chance to read it over.

It may be that they're right, and there's one that you somehow missed. But if you still think yours is unique, you'll be able to put together a clear and specific argument for why yours is different.

SylvrStorm

Good strategy and I appreciate your advice... What's weird about this is that 1/ it's a virtual but not locationless so it should show up close by (geographically speaking) my submission and it doesn't.

2/ I just got an email from the admin contact cited in the deline message saying: "I didn't decline it. Contact the person who did."

Well none of this gives me a warm and fuzzy

DD

"Either that wallpaper goes or I do!"

I heard a similar story today from another geocacher in this area at a geocaching demo we ran for a local Trail event. He hasn't followed up but the message sounds the same - declined because the cache already exists - and we both know for sure it doesn't since there aren't many caches in this area and we've both done them all icon_smile.gif Someone playing games out there icon_confused.gif Is this the death of virtuals??

quote:
Originally posted by Decodoppler:

2/ I just got an email from the admin contact cited in the deline message saying: "I didn't decline it. Contact the person who did."

I'd say contact the admin again, and mention specifically that s/he is cited in the decline message as the admin who declined your cache. If it really wasn't them, I'm sure they'll want to know why they're showing up. Also provide a link to the cache page.

Definitely sounds like something funny is going on. My best guesses are that either a portion of the database has been corrupted, or somebody has managed to get admin rights and is screwing around. Either way, TPTB will want to know and correct the situation.

This is no longer about your cache, but about something odd happening with cache approvals. Once that is sorted out, you can get someone to legitimately assess your cache proposal.

I too have had a cache decined that was to be virtual as the area it is in is so heavily traveled by teenagers that there is nowhere I feel it would be safe. If they are going to deny all virtual caches just say so and be done with it. I even tried contacting them again to clarify that this had to be virtual and they sent me the same message back. Not Impressed icon_frown.gif

I had to fight icon_frown.gif to get one of my vituals approved. Who ever approves the caches should know that we who place the caches have a good idea of what type of cache would work. My second one is still up in the air right now.

I have a feeling that there is an admin out there who dose not like vitual caches.

I think that in high traffic areas it is more fun to know that when you get to the location that you will find some interesting information rather then have the tupperware go missing.

I had sited some other virtual caches in the area that where placed in high traffic areas. I was told there is know pressident for what will pass as a vitual cache

My two vitual caches met all the guidelines and I still have to fight

I though this was to be a fun activity.

If we could spend less time fighting to get our caches approved we could spend that time geocaching. Which is what all of us are here to do.

We all are different and the caches should reflect that?

The following comes from the site.

Virtual Cache Posting Guidelines: (Should add to this at the whim of the approver)

A virtual cache must be of a physical object that can be referenced through latitude and longitude coordinates. That object should be semi-permanent to permanent. Objects in motion (such as people, vehicles) do not count as a virtual cache, unless that item can be adequately tracked and updated on the web site (For example, a link to a tracker for a vehicle would be ok). If I post the cache today, someone else should be able to find it tomorrow and the next day.

A trail is a trail, a beach is a beach, a view is a view; but a trail/beach/view is NOT a virtual cache. A cache has to be a specific distinct GPS target - not something large like a mountain top or a park, however special those locations are.

A virtual cache must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects. Items that would be in a coffee table book are good examples. A flagpole, manhole cover, tree, etc., are poor examples (with a possible exception: A flagpole at a memorial or a particularly novel flagpole would be ok, or an especially unique tree would count). Conversely, a scavenger hunt posted as a virtual cache would not be ok. If you don't know what is appropriate, post a question to the forums first.

Virtual caches are not commercial. For example (but not exclusive), a coffee house, pizza parlor, ice cream shop are not acceptable.

Virtual caches should be geographically dispersed. New postings which are within 0.1 mile of an existing cache will generally not be approved, unless the poster provides a compelling rationale. Posting a virtual cache at every animal cage in a zoo is an example of something that will not be approved.

There should be one or more questions about an item at a location, something seen at that location, etc., that only the visitor to that physical location will be able to answer. The questions should be difficult enough that it cannot be answered through library or web research. The use of a "certificate of achievement" or similar item is not a substitute for the find verification requirement.

An original photo can be an acceptable way to verify a find, or an email to the owner with valid answers for the question or questions. In NO cases should answers be posted in the logs, even if encrypted.

Understand that although the virtual cache is not something you physically maintain, you must maintain your virtual cache's web page and respond to inquiries. You should also return to the web site at least once a month to show you are still active. Virtual caches posted and "abandoned" will be archived by the site.

Virtual caches - A cache is actually an existing landmark, such as a tombstone or statue. You have to answer a question from the landmark and let the "cache" owner know as proof that you were there.

(Added 5/28/02) Please do not place caches on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans. If you find a cache in one of these areas please remove it and replace it a safe enough distance from the site to ensure that the site will not be impacted by people searching for the cache and unknowingly traveling over or through a site.

Paint pots

Back to caching

Scouter John icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Scouter John on July 01, 2003 at 09:03 AM.]

I guess if your gonna quote the rules, you should include ALL of it so, here's what you forgot:

quote:
Virtual and Reverse Virtual (or Locationless) Caches

These are special categories which give a task for an item to find and log. While previous guidelines for these categories were somewhat loose to encourage innovation, it is now appropriate to add clarification.

Some earlier postings do not meet these clarified guidelines, although they will be allowed to stand as grandfathered. They will not be considered as justification or as precedents for future submissions.

The overall intent for virtual and reverse virtual caches is to focus on the unique as opposed to the commonplace or mundane. This statement will hopefully be clarified with some examples later on.

If after reading the guidelines below you believe you have a compelling reason why your potential posting should be approved, state your rationale clearly in a note to the administrators at the top of your submission.

Virtual Caches

A virtual cache is a cache that exists in a form of an object at a location which was already there. Typically, the cache "hider” creates a virtual cache at a location where physical caches are not permitted. The reward for these caches is the location itself and sharing information about your visit.

Prior to considering a virtual cache, you must have given consideration to the question “why a regular geocache – perhaps a micro or only a log book - couldn’t be placed there?” If there is a good answer, then it may be a valid virtual cache opportunity. Also, consider making the location a step in a multi-stage cache, with the physical cache placed in an area that is appropriate.

There have been virtual caches approved in the past on the basis that "a physical cache could not be appropriately maintained" at the location, often by a user who is traveling through the area. This essentially "blocks" the area for later placement of a physical cache. Physical caches have priority, so virtual caches of this nature will usually not be approved.

For what it's worth, I have placed several virtual caches between my account and as a team listed under a different account, and haven't had any problems so far. I have another virtual I expect to be posted in a few days. I emailed the admin in advance with my idea to make sure he agreed we had met ALL the guidelines for a virtual. I got the go ahead from the admin on it, now I just need to create the cache page and submit it.

Most of the declined virtuals I read about in the forums usually do sound like they don't meet the guidelines. I say sound like, because it's possible the location would be approved if they give the admins enough info to begin with. Maybe mine go through because when I submit them I try to look at my virtual cache thru the eyes of someone who has no idea what my cache is. Remember, all they have to judge your cache on is the info on the page you submit. They havent seen how cool the spot really is. I post a note that goes into detail about what my virtual cache is, and why I think the cache meets the guidelines. The admin deletes the note when he approves the cache. So far it's been pretty painless and my caches get approved

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Sorry I din't realise it would do that

X-men2

Difficulty: 1 Terrain: 1

Deep in the Heart of the Canadian rockies lies Alkali lake where a secret Base lies where wolverine got his ademantium or so they say...

Did you enjoy the sequel to X-Men and want to find where Alkali lake is? look no further the coordinates for this virtual will lead right to the helicopter pad where Logan fought Striker. Through some research and carefully asked questions I found the exact filming location.

To Log this virtual you must complete #1.

#2 and #3 are optional

#1. Take a picture of yourself with upper Kananskis lake in the background this can be done only at the Interlakes North area near the virtual coordinates you can be on the dam or near the Helli pad

#2. You can include also a picture of yourself in front of lower Kananskis this is easily done since you can see upper and lower Kananskis from the Dam at Interlakes North

#3 Go in costume I'd love to see someone in X-men get up at the lakes. or wear a X-men T-shirt or have a X-men related item with you

I'll allow T-bugs logged here if they are X-men related or movie related

More to see, More to do

I left a note like sugested by Mopar

Dear approvers

The area where the crew filmed is in a National park and the area is sensitive a large portion of it is being recalimed so that plants can grow back.

Cachers who would log this virtual would not need to go off trail for it. as for hiding a cach in the rocks since it is a dam site the water leavels tend to go up and down, so if I plased a cache here three months from now it could be under water.

Since 911 a cache at a dam site would be unwise. this is a wonderfull area and I would love to share it with the geocaching community and I thought it best to make it a virtual

More to see, More to do