Can I do a search for nearby trackables?

zookeepertx

23 minutes ago, zookeepertx said:

Is there any way to do a search to find out if there are any trackables in my general vicinity...

After the search you may see if those caches have trackables on the listings... but that will not be a warranty of the physical objects on the cache location. ;)

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, zookeepertx said:

I love finding trackables and helping them on their journeys! Is there any way to do a search to find out if there are any trackables in my general vicinity that have trackables in them?

On the app, under "More", you can click on experimental features and toggle on the search for caches with trackables listed in their inventory. No guarantees they will actually be in the geocache though.

Screenshot_20220924-185642.png

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, RuideAlmeida said:

After the search you may see if those caches have trackables on the listings... but that will not be a warranty of the physical objects on the cache location. ;)

That's what I was hoping to avoid, was having to look at each caches to see if they have any trackables. My internet connection isn't really fast enough to make that a "fun proposition", LOL! (There's very little competition for internet around here so they have no incentive to improve things very much. :( )

28 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

On the app, under "More", you can click on experimental features and toggle on the search for caches with trackables listed in their inventory. No guarantees they will actually be in the geocache though.

Screenshot_20220924-185642.png

That looks very promising! I probably should have mentioned that I'm technology challenged. I can't see where to find either "More" or "Experimental features", either on the website or on the app on my phone. I was going to search the website for "Experimental features" but the only search box I can find is the one to search for caches to find. I didn't see anything when I went to filters, either. (Doesn't mean it isn't THERE, just means I didn't see it.)

If you could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!

11 hours ago, zookeepertx said:

I love finding trackables and helping them on their journeys! Is there any way to do a search to find out if there are any trackables in my general vicinity that have trackables in them?

In the search results, there's a column called Trackables that shows the number of trackables in the cache's inventory:

image.png.65cff56dc3f03bf5ed495610a8b71cb8.png

Clicking on that header twice will sort the results with the highest number of trackables at the top.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
17 hours ago, zookeepertx said:

Similar to Goldenwattle I guess, a trackable "hotel" search may be a good shot, like the ones you found yesterday.  :)

Rare that cache inventories are accurate anymore here, finding trackables "missing" from those listed, or finding one in a cache not listed as having any.

It happens often enough that we were spending time "fixing" other's errors, and I now feel finding one only gets corrected by my log. 

I don't look for them anymore but will move one along if it's been in a cache for some time.     Good luck.

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Oh, I'm so stupid. It just dawned on me last evening what you meant. I've never realized that when you do a search and get a list of caches, one of the columns tells you whether there are (theoretically) any trackables in the cache or not. Guess I just never looked at the column headings.  :wacko: DUHHH! I see it now. Thanks for the info!

• Helpful 1
11 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

In the search results, there's a column called Trackables that shows the number of trackables in the cache's inventory:

image.png.65cff56dc3f03bf5ed495610a8b71cb8.png

Clicking on that header twice will sort the results with the highest number of trackables at the top.

I guess I just never looked at the column headings before, so didn't realize that was there. Sometimes I'm just a dope. Thanks for the info!

17 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Maybe do a search for 'hotel'.

For instance, my TB Hotel has 14 trackables* in it at present. You might find something similar where you live.

* That's what happens when locals find a TB Hotel that's locked. It becomes a safer place than most, to drop TBs into.

Oooh, that's a good idea; I'll give it a try!

As far as I know, there are only 2 hotels anywhere near here, 1 of them being mine. That doesn't mean there aren't any; just that I don't know about them, LOL!

10 hours ago, HHL said:

Open the Geocaching app. Bottom down to the very right is a hamburger menu (three dots). Click on that and you'll get a selection of experimental features.

I don't have the actual app on my phone. My phone is STUPID! Last year I was forced by my job to download an app on there, I made somebody else do it and then my phone didn't work right for 2 days! Technology and I really, really don't get along! (Basically, I'm a cave person. :P )

Edited by zookeepertx
5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Similar to Goldenwattle I guess, a trackable "hotel" search may be a good shot, like the ones you found yesterday.  :)

Rare that cache inventories are accurate anymore here, finding trackables "missing" from those listed, or finding one in a cache not listed as having any.

It happens often enough that we were spending time "fixing" other's errors, and I now feel finding one only gets corrected by my log. 

I don't look for them anymore but will move one along if it's been in a cache for some time.     Good luck.

I always feel kind of guilty when a trackable goes missing from one of my caches. I mean, I know it's not my fault, but I still feel bad. It's only happened a couple of times, fortunately.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I check what trackables are in my hotel when I check the log. Then if a trackable isn't there remove it from the log, although I might give it a few days for someone to log it first. 

• Helpful 1