were to buy real waterproof paper (not rite in the rain)

JoeyGE0

Here in Australia, Office Works sells these A7 notepads made of "stone paper", which consists of crushed rock held together in a polymer binding.

image.png.26a4cc297745fb78898b9e4a02ebf76c.png

They're made by Nuco and distributed by J.Burrows so you might be able to source them in other countries and/or obtain larger sizes. The paper itself is great, it can be written on with pencil, ballpoint and marker pens, the only problem I've had is that water-based marker pens will bleed through when the paper gets wet. I tried an experiment a few years back, writing on a page with pencil, ballpoint and a spirit-based marker pen then leaving it in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks. Nothing bad happened and, after drying it, it was as good as new.

The notepad covers are just plain cardboard and don't do well when they get wet, but I've recently tried spraying them with a waterproof coating and that seems to be working (so far). The other option I've tried successfully is to just use the note paper and make my own laminated covers.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Here in Australia, Office Works sells these A7 notepads made of "stone paper", which consists of crushed rock held together in a polymer binding.

image.png.26a4cc297745fb78898b9e4a02ebf76c.png

They're made by Nuco and distributed by J.Burrows so you might be able to source them in other countries and/or obtain larger sizes. The paper itself is great, it can be written on with pencil, ballpoint and marker pens, the only problem I've had is that water-based marker pens will bleed through when the paper gets wet. I tried an experiment a few years back, writing on a page with pencil, ballpoint and a spirit-based marker pen then leaving it in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks. Nothing bad happened and, after drying it, it was as good as new.

The notepad covers are just plain cardboard and don't do well when they get wet, but I've recently tried spraying them with a waterproof coating and that seems to be working (so far). The other option I've tried successfully is to just use the note paper and make my own laminated covers.

I use that paper for logs too. Waterproof and easy to write on. It does have the disadvantage of after a few years, if exposed to too much sun, crumbling. However, if you cache is in a place protected from the sun it's great to use.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, JoeyGE0 said:

anyone know were to get real waterproof paper? its the stuff that is really just plastic and anti rip in a4 sheets? 

I was in a "grease everything" mood one day and had a Tyvek shirt on.

A cacher friend asked what I do with them, and he now has numerous waterproof "logs" to play with.  A small roll would last forever.

But I prefer Rite in Rain.  If it gets wet, you simply wipe it with a paper towel and you're good again.

Curious of the purpose if you feel it's not "good enough". Thanks.    :)